White High School Sprinters

Off the top of my head, I think that you are correct about Grace Upshaw and Jenny Adams, but Ulrike Meyfarth represented West Germany and was, in fact, a 2-time gold medalist in the high jump.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 ns:ResGet="EncartaApp:ResGet" ns:MakeGlink="EncartaApp:MakeGlink">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<H1 =mediatitle>Ulrike Meyfarth</H1></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
T047531B.jpg
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

At this time, it seems that the only American white woman who has any chance in the near future is Lolo Jones, who is a world-class 100m. hurdler.

JonesLolo.JPG
LOLO JONES

I'm glad thatsome others are reading and responding, because when I see the accomplishments of Russian, Swedish, and English women, I wonderwhy our women doso poorly.

white is right

Hall of Famer
highschoolcoach said:
Off the top of my head, I think that you are correct about Grace Upshaw and Jenny Adams, but Ulrike Meyfarth represented West Germany and was, in fact, a 2-time gold medalist in the high jump.

&lt;TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 ns:ResGet="EncartaApp:ResGet" ns:MakeGlink="EncartaApp:MakeGlink"&gt;
&lt;T&gt;
&lt;TR&gt;
&lt;TD&gt;
&lt;H1 =mediatitle&gt;Ulrike Meyfarth&lt;/H1&gt;&lt;/TD&gt;&lt;/TR&gt;
&lt;TR&gt;
&lt;TD&gt;id=Img461532444 height=336 alt="Ulrike Meyfarth" src="http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/target s/images/pho/t047/T047531B.jpg" width=500&gt;&lt;/TD&gt;&lt;/TR&gt;&lt;/T&gt;&lt;/TABLE&gt;

At this time, it seems that the only American white woman who has any chance in the near future is Lolo Jones, who is a world-class 100m. hurdler.

[IMG]http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/JonesLolo.JPG" align=right&gt;LOLO JONES </font>

I'm glad that some others are reading and responding, because when I see the accomplishments of Russian, Swedish, and English women, I wonder why our women do so poorly. [/QUOTE] My error I think I blew a gasket it was Marleke Veltman. I remember her because she was quite pretty and was the daughter of German immigrants. She disappeared quickly off the US national scene.

Freedom

Mentor
I think I agree with a lot of the reasoning here. But isn't a major problem just that white kids aren't active enough. By the time track tryouts in highschool come 'round, white kids aren't able to handle serious intense training because they haven't played sports intensely enough.
A lot of women sprinters get ugly legs. That's what keep white girls out of track. Thank god too, I mean, no offense, but I wouldn't want pretty white girls to have ugly legs.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Take a look at Ivet Lalova.She is a world class sprinter and trust me,her legs are just fine.
smiley2.gif
I have always been attracted to athetic women.Look at Anna Kournakova.The only thing I miss about most athletic girls is that they are small on top usually.

Jenny Adams is very talented and beautiful as well.She must have took the indoor season off.We need white role models from the US of both sex's.

Hoosier State Relays

Saturday, March 17, 2007 Gladstein Fieldhouse, U. of Indiana, Bloomington IN

1A-3A Highlights
<UL>
<LI>Winamac sr Shane Crawford, coming off the NIN 60 finals, blazes US#2 6.26 55
</LI>[/list]

Apparently, Shane Crawford has some really good deceptive speed or, maybe, he's able to run fast because of his high motor. (You might get the impression that I'm pretty fed up with the euphemisms for white and just wish that the "experts" would just say that the white guy can run fast)

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Shane Crawford won the Indiana State Championship today. The second place finisher was over .2 seconds behind.
Shane's time was 10.51 into a headwind.
Congrats!Edited by: jacknyc

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
highschoolcoach and jacknyc,

one of my old college friends who i just started working out with (and who is one of the elite triathlon runners in my state) is a track coach.

he's at a coachingclinic in Fayetteville this week, and he called me yesterday to talk about this girl he saw runningup there. she's an 11-year old white girl and she runs a 31 second 200!
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif

he said she was outrunning the majority of high school boys up there. so, there you go. white lady sprinters aren't extinct in this country... they are just very, very rare and by looking at some of the other threads lately they arevery, very young.

Jimmy Chitwood said:
highschoolcoach and jacknyc,

one of my old college friends who i just started working out with (and who is one of the elite triathlon runners in my state) is a track coach.

he's at a coachingclinic in Fayetteville this week, and he called me yesterday to talk about this girl he saw runningup there. she's an 11-year old white girl and she runs a 31 second 200!
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif

he said she was outrunning the majority of high school boys up there. so, there you go. white lady sprinters aren't extinct in this country... they are just very, very rare and by looking at some of the other threads lately they arevery, very young.

Thanks for the post. yes, they are rare. I don't really know why. Can only offer a few possible reasons. I strongly suspect that many white girls who would be sprinters, hurdlers, and/or jumpers do not participate in track &amp; field and concentrate on soccer or volleyball or softball instead. I know that is the situation at a local high school; the best girl runners are on the soccer team and don't even do track &amp; field part-time. Soccer, volleyball, and softball are predominantly white sports, so the black girls are not doing them and are running and jumping on the track &amp; field teams instead.

I used to organize running, jumping, and throwing contests at every opportunity and discovered many white girls who could really run and jump and did not even seem to know it. I would encourage them to be on a track team and those who did usually didvery well. They might not have even tried if they had not been discovered and encouraged.

You have to watch this video of the 2007 Illinois girls high school 4 x 400m. relay. The anchor leg will make you jump out of your seat or something. Very inspiring. Somebody forgot to tell the girl she stood no chance of winning.

http://erectus.multiply.com/video/item/75
Class AA 4x400m Relay-
1600relay.JPG

Barrington's Jenny Schnack runs down Evanston &amp; Proviso East for another victory.
Barrington 3:50.21; Maywood (Proviso East) 3:50.38; Evanston 3:51.76
Summary: How fitting was it for the Fillies to win the last event on the track after winning the first? Barrington trailed in third behind PE and Evanston through three legs but on the anchor is when Jennifer Schnack moved up and around Evanston's Brittany Tolar into second entering the homestretch. Meanwhile, PE's Nevada Morrison, who was sporting a heavily bandaged hamstring, began to labor with 50 meters remaining. Schnack remained calm but then suddenly struck with 10 meters left by edging ahead for the win. Both teams gave everything they had in the final tilt.
<DIV id=owner_nav_wrapper>
<DIV id=owner_nav ="owner_nav">
<H1 id=page_owner_title></H1>
<DIV id=subnavc>
<DIV id=subnav>
<UL ="gnopt">
<LI ="gnoptsel"></LI>[/list]

Edited by: highschoolcoach

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Shane Crawford is competing at the Pan American Under 20 Championships. He won his first heat in a 10.41! Then he made it to the finals by scorching to a time of 10.34 in the semis.The finals are tommorow so lets hope that he can bring home the gold medal.He will be attending Purdue next year.This kid has the potential to be special.At his age,he is even faster than Pickering was at 18.Good luck to him in the finals.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Shane didn't get a good start and he finished in 4th place in the finals with a time of 10.48! That is still not bad for running multiple races against some of the best junior sprinters in the world.Congrats to Shane on a very good performance.Keep your head up.There will be many more races in the future.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
10.34 in his semi is an outstanding time!
Is he still considered a HSer?
That may be the fastest time ever for a white HSer.
The best time I can find for Casey Combest in HS was also 10.34.