White cornerbacks

whiteCB

Master
1. Who is Dovonte Edwards? and 2. Why is playing ahead of Fox? Though before its all said and done Fox will be starting in front of Edwards because after seeing the guy play for 4 years at Ohio St I know how good he is and its definitly good enough to play ahead of this Edwards character. I think they just want Fox to get back into playing shape and get used to being back home at CB. By August he'll be showing off his skills at exhibition games and be the starting nickel back by the beginning of the season. Notice how racist Tice and his coaching staff were that they had Fox as a safety even though he never played the spot in college and teams like the Bucs and Browns had him at CB because that is his natural position, of course.

G

I read that article on scout...I was very happy, I think he will be the starting NB when all is said and done.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If he can play the nickle he will play as a pure corner, but if he is a dime back that's a hybrid of corner and safety anyway........

devans

Mentor
Steve Gergory CB from Syracuse has gotten an invite to the Chargers camp. He had offers from about 10 teams but decided that he had his best shot of making a team with the DB depleted Chargers. Draftdaddy named Gergory to its 2nd team of undrafted free agents who have the best shot of making a team. So good luck Steve!

G

Andrew Pace was signed by the Browns after impresing the coaching staff during minicamp. Another white CB signed
smiley32.gif

KG2422

Mentor
From the Nashville City Paper:
"Pace spent his first three seasons at Vanderbilt at safety but moved to cornerback in the spring of 2005. Last weekend in Cleveland, he worked out mostly at safety and expects to remain at that position during training camp."

Well, I hope he makes the team either way. We're running pretty short on safeties lately as well.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
This is great news! I hope Andrew gets to start before to long.

whiteCB

Master
pittbc7 said:
Andrew Pace was signed by the Browns after impresing the coaching staff during minicamp. Another white CB signed
smiley32.gif

Now Brian Russell will have a guy on the team he can be friends with and share common interests with. He won't be the only white guy during position drills too. lol

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
Now Brian Russell will have a guy on the team he can be friends with and share common interests with. He won't be the only white guy during position drills too. lol

Not really. Adding Pace to their roster would put them over the 1 white DB per team quota. If Pace makes it they will get rid of Russell.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I predict that Russell will be out of the NFL within two years. He is one of the more detested white players, again for doing nothing. His biggest "sin" was having the audacity to tie for the league lead in interceptions in 2003. The next season he mysteriouslylanded in Mike Tice's "doghouse" before being driven out of Minnesota. It won't be long before he becomes a backup with the Browns and then disappears into the Caste System's memory hole.

KG2422

Mentor
Josh Golden has been invited to Chargers training camp but he is not signed. He is a longshot to stick.

From chargers.com:
On top of the 15 undrafted free agents that signed with the Chargers following the 2006 NFL Draft, 14 additional players will have the opportunity to tryout for the team this weekend. Local products such as San Diego State's Kurt Kahui (linebacker), Taylor Schmidt (guard) and Ricky Sharpe (cornerback) will join University of San Diego wide receiver Adam Hannula among those trying out at Chargers Park.

Western Washington wide receiver Andy Olson, Arkansas tight end Jared Hicks, Morehead State cornerback Kwesi Williams, Hawaii cornerback Lono Manners, Arizona State cornerback Josh Golden, USC linebacker Collin Ashton, New Mexico linebacker Mike Mohoric, Cal-Davis linebacker Nolan DeGraaff, Kentucky defensive end Trey Mielsch, and Kansas State defensive end Derek Marso will also get a chance to impress Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer and his staff.

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
I predict that Russell will be out of the NFL within two years.  He is one of the more detested white players, again for doing nothing.  His biggest "sin" was having the audacity to tie for the league lead in interceptions in 2003.  The next season he mysteriously landed in Mike Tice's "doghouse" before being driven out of Minnesota.  It won't be long before he becomes a backup with the Browns and then disappears into the Caste System's memory hole.

I hope your wrong Don but I wouldn't be suprised if your right. I remember back in 2003 when Brian had 9 INTs to lead the league and him not getting any respect at all and that really pissed me off more than anything to see him get in Tice's doghouse. Nobody gave a sh*t that the league INT leader wasn't even getting treated fairly by his coach. If the Browns sold his jersey you can bet you a$$ I'd buy one in a instant. Russell is my favorite player on the Browns and I wish him the best.

devans

Mentor
Rob Lee is now lisetd on the Buffalo Bills web site as 4th String Strong Safety

backrow

Hall of Famer
wow, 4th string... that gives him precious little chance of even seeing the field, but i am sure that he will be higher after the training camp... well, i hope

devans

Mentor
I hope so too - but he used to be a cornerback

voice

Guru
Fox is definitely on shaky ground here even though he was moved to corner and Smith is a safety. Smith can play nickel they said

Although, the Vikings will have eat $400k if they cut Fox as he was a 3rd round pick.

This could get interesting

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, Smith is actually a pretty good defensive back, and yeah, he can play nickel as well (it's how he started with the Bucs before moving to safety)

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
<A name=327411>Vikings | D. Fox playing too aggressive for Childress
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:47:50 -0700

Adam Doctolero, of KFAN.com, reports Minnesota Vikings CB Dustin Fox was yelled at by head coach Brad Childress for colliding with WR Jason Carter during one-on-one drills. Fox has been too aggressive for Childress early in training camp.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
DraftDaddy has some interesting observations about Fox and how he was mistreated last year by the repugnant Tice regime along with a link to an article about him:

Rookie season redo: Vikings cornerback Dustin Fox is a rookie again, after missing all of last season.

DD.com comment: Dustin sat out all of the 2005 season, after sustaining an injury very early last summer that was expected to be healed by opening day or soon after. Instead of the coaching staff taking until the final cutdown to check his progress, they placed him on injured reserve immediately. In our opinion, that was a huge waste of a 3rd round pick. It was almost like the front office used a high pick on the kid, but the coaching staff didn't want him around -- after only a handful of practices.

Personally, if we were Fox's agent, we would've told the Vikings he's not taking a "redshirt season"....No way! NFL players are allowed, by rule, the right to ask for their release if they have been placed on injured reserve, but can prove they are close to healthy enough to play. Had he done that in 2005, there is no doubt a number of NFL teams near the bottom of the standings in 2005 (49ers, Packers, Jets, ect.) would've snapped him up in a split-second on waivers and fit him onto their team in some way -- special teams, nickleback, ect. Basically, by allowing the Vikings to IR him last season with a non season ending injury, he allowed Mike Tice and his coaches to throw away an entire season of his career. The average NFL player only plays 4 seasons, so that not insignificant.

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
DD.com comment</font>:

Personally, if we were Fox's agent, we would've told the Vikings he's not taking a "redshirt season"....No way! NFL players are allowed, by rule, the right to ask for their release if they have been placed on injured reserve, but can prove they are close to healthy enough to play. Had he done that in 2005, there is no doubt a number of NFL teams near the bottom of the standings in 2005 (49ers, Packers, Jets, ect.) would've snapped him up in a split-second on waivers and fit him onto their team in some way -- special teams, nickleback, ect. Basically, by allowing the Vikings to IR him last season with a non season ending injury, he allowed Mike Tice and his coaches to throw away an entire season of his career. The average NFL player only plays 4 seasons, so that not insignificant.

wow I never knew that a player could do that if he didn't think he should be on the IR. Fox really cost himself valuable playing thime to show off his skills . I really thought he was injured for the whole season like the Vikings actions were implying. Bad decision fox.