Whining Wealthy Witter

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Live Fight Boxing Forum Latest News30.12.07 Witter feels persecuted by Hatton snub...
Junior Witter has stepped up his campaign to secure a bout with Ricky Hatton by insisting that the Mancunian is avoiding him and by questioning his genuine fighting ability.

Witter believes that Hatton's avoidance of him is akin to persecution and says that the 29-year-old welterweight's rise to prominence came about because of good timing and his background.

"Hatton has avoided fighting me for years and he's still avoiding me," Witter told the Sunday Times.

"I look on it and think that life's not fair and that's just it. I've got a saying I use when a couple of my friends ask me how I'm doing. 'I'm still black,' I tell them. I could say, 'I'm still Irish or I'm still Pakistani.'

"Anyone who has been persecuted over the years for reasons that are unjust, that's how I feel sometimes. But that's life. Life's not fair and people aren't fair.

Witter is adamant that he will inflict a second straight defeat on Hatton after he was outclassed by Floyd Mayweather at the start of the month.

"Technically, he's limited. He has a big heart, he's fit when he steps in the ring and he's driven. He's also good at what he does, pressuring opponents and wearing them down.

"But that wasn't enough to beat Mayweather and it wouldn't be enough against me. Ricky was lucky because he came around at the right time, straight after Naz whose personality and arrogance people had grown to hate.

"Hatton was white, from Manchester, loved his football, drank too much and was a typical lad. His style was basic and easy to understand.

"Frank Warren built him up brilliantly and people tuned in because he's not an unlikeable guy. Every so often a fight between us would get close but then it would just go away again."

Witter knocked out Vivian Harris last time out:-

My take on the matter:

Witter has just shown his cards to everyone in a desperate attempt to make something of himself. The reality is, and this is hard for Witter to swallow, Witter badly needs a fight with Hatton for the payday it would bring him and the status. It is quite simple really. Witter is MR. Nobody and his name cannot sell out a school classroom. Hatton, on the other hand, can sell out a stadium. Witter needs Hatton's fans, and the money they bring, for a decent payday. Further, he's banking on the possibility of fighting with another big name if he wins. Witter's public whine about being persecuted is juvenile and absurd. Persecuted? Since when is ANY fighter obligated to fight another? Hatton is actually very smart. By not fighting Witter he torments him by not allowing him to cash in on HIS fame and HIS fans and HIS work. Advice to Witter: how about go build your own fan base baby!

If they fought I also believe the fight would be very close. Witter is no Mayweather but he's VERY good. Witter also has earned the credentials to fight Hatton. I'm not disputing either.

What I did find OUTRAGEOUS is Witter's comment that he is "persecuted". There are people in Sudan that are persecuted, there are Christians in Muslim countries that are persecuted, there are Tibetans that are persecuted, and many, many others around the world. But for someone living in the U.K. and earning his living boxing to call himself persecuted is selfish and sickening.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

I agree with your analysis of the situation, the only thing that surprised me was Witter's fairly complimentary description of Ricky Hatton's fighting ability. Witter didn't say Hatton was over rated, undeserving of his fame, or anything like that.

I'd actually like to see this fight. Edited by: White Shogun

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Since Witter can openly talk about race why can't we? The truth is Witter is jealous of Hatton's fame and fortune and he is right when he says Hatton's success is partly due to his race. The rebuttal to that is: so, what's your point? English people are not supposed to hail and favour their own? Everyone does, so why can't the English?

No one will say this in the media but what has happened is Africans, and others to a much lesser extent, have been brought up in a culture of entitlement, like these Western countries are every bit theirs and the past and present do no matter.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Shogun:

I wouldn't care to see this fight as I think Hatton beats Witter better by not fighting him.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Maple Leaf said:
I wouldn't care to see this fight as I think Hatton beats Witter better by not fighting him.

I agree. Witter doesn't deserve the big payday he would receive from fighting Hatton.

When you look at Witter's resume, he hasn't ever defeated a world-class fighter (he lost to the only one he's ever faced, Zab Judah). He should fight a couple of top level opponents before talking about fighting Hatton. At present, it's more financially rewarding for Ricky to fight someone else like Casamayor or Malignaggi, Witter's not a very big name.