What’s Your Favorite Movie?

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Bronk said:
I liked your read on This Boy's Life. It's a pretty good movie and both DiCaprio and DeNiro are excellent in it.

I would not call your preferences in movies weird at all. Avoiding the big budget crap is a smart move.

Fantastic acting by DeNiro and DiCaprio. Both appeared to be at their peak, which is unusual given DiCaprio's young age. The cinematography was beautiful as it captured the era and the magnificence of the Pacific Northwest.

The messages in the movie, however, are right out of the cultural/Marxist manifesto: Church bad,gays good, White, step-father abusive, mother victim, boy scouts fraught with over-bearing, frustrated, deviant types, etc.

Charlie

Guru
Viz Media released five relatively recent Japanese films for the U.S. market. Taken together they would be my current favorites.

Train Man
Kamikaze Girls
The Taste of Tea
Death Note
Linda Linda Linda

Most of the DVDs have a useful section explaining various aspects of J-Pop and Japanese culture such as Otaku/Nerd, Lolita and Yanki. All are available on Netflix. 'Kamikaze Girls' and 'The Taste of Tea' in their entirety, with English subtitles, are on YouTube. 'Linda, Linda, Linda' is also on YouTube but with Spanish subtitles. None are embarrassingly vulgar.

'Train Man' is the most accomplished and addresses the serious problem of many young Japanese Otaku who are so absorbed in their hobbies they neglect their appearance and seemingly have no interest in live women. It's a wonderful movie and I hope a Hollywood version is never made and English-language audiences must see the original.

'The Taste of Tea' requires patience.
[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01wOhgg27dM[/TUBE]
The mountain, of course, is Japan. Japan is the Japanese. When the Japanese have colonized space they will be able to say, regardless of which galaxies they inhabit, 'I am Japan. I am the mountain.'

Edited by: Charlie