Vitaly Tsypko/ Jeff Lacy

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I didn't see it, JD. Can you give us a rundown of what happened?

JD074

Master
It was a pretty close fight, but Tsypko did very well down the stretch. Lacy landed some big right hands in the first round, but after that Tsypko tightened up his defense. Lacy did pretty good on the inside in the middle rounds, but Tsypko wisely pushed him away and controlled the fight on the outside during the last four rounds or so. Lacy was reduced to lunging forward and Tsypko would counter him.

When I'm watching a fight, I try to give the black fighter the benefit of the doubt, to try to reflect how I think the judges will score the fight; but I'll also keep in mind who I think won the round. It was about even after eight rounds, and Tsypko won the last two (it was a ten round fight. Lacy was lucky that it wasn't twelve rounds.)

One judge had the fight even, and the other two had Lacy winning seven rounds to five. After the fight Lampley said, to paraphrase, "One judge gave the 12th round to Lacy. You have to wonder what he was thinking."

Obviously I'm biased. Check it out for yourself later if you can. I was very impressed by Tsypko. Edited by: JD074

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wow, if Lampley and the talking heads believe a score or round is biased, something is definitely up. Where was the fight?

Hockaday

Guru
It was a very good fight. Tsykpo would have been unanimous winner in a neutral site. Tsykpo is tough, but he lacks an extra gear. Lacy was out on his feet the last couple rounds but Tsykpos didn't step up the pace to take Lacy out.

I think Lacy is shot, the way he wobbles around the ring off balance. Reminds me of post Duran Davey Moore and Mathew Saad Muhumed at the end of his career.

No doubt the hometown cookin' left a bad taste in Tsykpo's mouth. Still, this fight raised his stock for sure. Edited by: Hockaday

Lacy was awarded a split decision in his home town by scores of 95/95,96/94,96/94. The referee allowed Lacey to clinch shamlessly. A lot of those body shots were scored while he was holdig Tsykpo's left arm under his right arm pit so Tsypko could not get away and nail him again. If it had hishsi win but I doubt it. To win in another fighters home town you have to win so decisvely that there is no opportunity for confusion. Other than the firs ttwo rounds he was at least even on all the rest and won most of rounds 3-10. He definately out boxed Lacey and had much quicker hands ( especially for a slow white boy). Seeing as how he was not suppose to last the whole fight the split decison was sort of an upset.

Charlie

white is right

Hall of Famer
Tired old White said:
Lacy was awarded a split decision in his home town by scores of 95/95,96/94,96/94. The referee allowed Lacey to clinch shamlessly. A lot of those body shots were scored while he was holdig Tsykpo's left arm under his right arm pit so Tsypko could not get away and nail him again. If it had hishsi win but I doubt it. To win in another fighters home town you have to win so decisvely that there is no opportunity for confusion. Other than the firs ttwo rounds he was at least even on all the rest and won most of rounds 3-10. He definately out boxed Lacey and had much quicker hands ( especially for a slow white boy). Seeing as how he was not suppose to last the whole fight the split decison was sort of an upset.

Charlie
Alot of these Russian opponents lose decisions because they have nobody backing them up. Ie having a big name promoter behind them. Well Lacy will be fed to Taylor and Taylor will pick the bones I guess.Edited by: white is right

jcolec02

Mentor
... or kessler
smiley4.gif

pt.guard2

Guru
I'm wondering how soon it will be before this fight is used as a tool to knock Joe Calzaghe. You know, as in Jeff Lacy was over rated, so Calzalghe beating him so soundly was no big deal.......

white is right

Hall of Famer
Supposedly Lacy has a torn rotator cuff and will be out for 9 months. He suffered what Vitali had against Byrd. Except he was stupid enough to go the distance and potentially ruin his power arm(I'm assuming it was the power arm). We will see what he has left after this fight. Many times when guys get bad beatings but go the distance they are never the same again. Ie David Reed after Trinidad beat him up.

JD074

Master
I watched the fight again and Lacy could have won four of the first five rounds (at least three.) But Tsypko definitely won rounds 3, 8, 9, and 10 (I think he won the last four rounds.) So one has to assume that Lacy got the benefit of the doubt in pretty much every close round, and even when it wasn't close (10th round.)

Pt.guard2 makes an interesting point. Calzaghe exposed Lacy, but now an unknown guy has exposed him, too! Calzaghe needs another high profile fight, this time with a truly elite fighter. Calzaghe/ Taylor!!