Valery Brudov vs. Guillermo Jones

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
From fightnews.com:

WBA presses for Jones-Brudov

"The World Boxing Association notified its cruiserweight champion Guillermo Jones (36-3-2, 28 KOs) of Panama about the April 27 deadline for negotiations between the Jones' camp and representatives of the WBA #1 ranked contender and mandatory challenger Valery Brudov (37-2, 27 KOs) from Pskov, Russia. If the agreement isn't reached in time, a purse bid will be held to determine the side to promote the event. The fight deadline is May 27, exactly one month after the purse bid. Jones acquired his title last September with a road TKO over then-champion Firat Arslan. Arslan, on the other hand, gained worldwide recognition in June 2007 after the split decision victory over the interim champion Brudov."

Another white vs. black world title fight for us to enjoy!
smiley2.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Cool - hope we get one back as we are down to 15 of the 20 belts from 160 and above.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Actually we are down to 14 Liverlips. Arthur Abraham moved up in weight and vacated his belt. Diaconu and Garay lost so it is 14 from 17. Huck will be fighting Victor Ramirez so we will probably have another white champion. A white and hispanic are fighting for Abraham's vacated belt so we may get that one back too. I can see Brudov winning this fight as well.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Fightnews

FightNews has been informed by Branco Sports Productions, the promoter of cruiserweight contender Valerie Brudov who is the mandatory challenger to WBA champion Guillermo Jones, that they will forgo further negotiations with Don King for the mandatory defense and will instead participate with the January 21st purse bid. "There is no longer anything to negotiate with Don King,"Â￾ stated Sampson Lewkowicz, the spokesperson for Branco Sports. "We plan to go to purse bid as scheduled with the WBA."Â￾ FightNews had reported earlier that an agreement had been worked out between the parties involved and that the WBA had called off a scheduled January 21st purse bid. "No agreement has been reached and the purse bid is still scheduled for January 21st,"Â￾ Lewkowicz emphasized. "Brudov has waited long enough for his opportunity. Jones has had the title for over a year and he has not even stepped back into the ring. We are looking forward to the purse bid resolving the deadlock!"Â￾ Jones has been inactive since he dethroned then-WBA cruiserweight champion Firat Arslan on September 27, 2008.

Jones should have been stripped a long time ago.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jones won the title over a year and a half ago and has yet to defend it once. This is ridiculous and he should have been stripped of the title in my opinion.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
It's going to be tough for Valery Brudov to win in Panama.

It's now two full years since Jones won the title. He should have been stripped many months ago for not defending it.

Guru
I read that Brudov will be arriving in Panama on Thursday. I'm not sure
where exactly he is arriving from, but I hope it's not from too far
away. Arrriving from Russia two days before the fight would be very
foolish.

It's ridiculous that Jones wasn't stripped, but then again the WBA are based in Panama.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Good stream for the Brudov-Jones fight here.

It should be starting before too long.

Timor Ibragimov won by wide UD earlier.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Only the two main events left to go now, so Brudov-Jones should be on next.

It would be great if Brudov wins, but Jones will have the crowd and probably the officials on his side, so I'm not optimistic.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Jones wins by TKO 11.

Some shady stuff went on, as you might expect with Don King as promoter and the fight being in Guillermo's home country of Panama.

Jones was tired and Brudov was coming on at the end, but the referee stopped the fight because of a cut over Brudov's left eye. It appeared the cut was caused by a head butt in an earlier round, but somehow it was called a TKO? And during the fight, the ref was repeatedly warning Brudov for no good reason, while allowing Jones to get away with headbutting.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
I didn't stay up for this fight.  Was Brudov winning the fight up to the stoppage?
It was fairly close, Jones was ahead by a round or two. Brudov was bothered by the cut, yet kept it competitive.

But Jones was getting tired so Brudov clearly won the 10th round. So if it had continued, if Brudov won the last two, it would have been very close on the cards. Who knows, maybe Brudov would have stopped him.