USA vs. Euro

Alpha Male

Mentor
I had an arguement with my uncle about whether the USA lost bc their teram was inferior or whether they lost bc the Euro teams they play against play together all year. So, does a team like Spain or Italy play together all year?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
As far as I've heard, if the guys are playing ball professionally in Europe they get more time off to prepare for the olympics, but a full year, no! Also, that doesn't count the talented players like Ginobili that play in the U.S.
I think that most international teams have shown that they are more selective with their shooting, and find the open man better . Another words, they shoot a higher precentage. Also, players like Shaq aren't as dominant in international play because they call offensive fouls the way they do in college, I believe. Finesse players fare better in international play.
I think that the 2008 olympic games are going to be decided by very small margins between teams like Spain, Argentina, Greece, Brazil, Germany, Italy, Serbia-Montenegro and the U.S. The U.S could definitley win it all though, and if they do it would probabley be due to Wade and Lebron who are not only good scorers, but team players. However, I'm going to make a prediction of Argentina or Spain as victors. Did I cheat by picking two possibilities? Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

PitBull

Guru
Outside of learning a few set plays and zone defenses, which most of the
professional players in the US should know anyway, I don't understand
how more than a couple of months together makes a difference. I believe
they got beat on a simple pick and roll quite a lot! How long do you need
to practice together to figure that one out? The US was beaten fair and
square, and the competition level was very good for them in several
games. The NBA game relies too much on getting away with fouls,
carrying the ball, traveling, and isolation one-on-one.

Also, don't forget that many of these countries have native populations
much smaller than the US. I wonder how an all-star european team
would do against the all-star US team?

Obviously, the brainwashing propaganda of the media runs deep. Maybe
you should politely laugh at your uncle's argument next time and ask him
why the world's supposedly greatest basketball league filled with the
world's supposedly greatest athletes, the NBA, needs any excuse at all?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Alpha Male said:
I had an arguement with my uncle about whether the USA lost bc their teram was inferior or whether they lost bc the Euro teams they play against play together all year. So, does a team like Spain or Italy play together all year?
No this argument was only valid with the communist countries. The Italians and others play on club teams throughout Europe. Their national teams play together about the same as the US. The US lost because the skill/talent gap has narrowed to the point that the US is now just one of the favorites to win a one and done tournament. Yes the US is deeper than any country in the world, but they can't be playing their B or C game any more to beat the worlds best. In hockey this happened to Canada too.Edited by: white is right

jcolec02

Mentor
think of how small the population of the countries that beat the U.S. are compared to the U.S. population...If you played TEAM EUROPE as a whole versus USA...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that sh*t would be funny :)
smiley2.gif

and just to piss them off...make Yao Ming the Center for the Euros!!! cuz he is definetly the best Center...