Under 19 World Championships

devans

Mentor
The republic of Serbia (population aprox 8 Million) just defeated the USA (pop approx 250 Million) in the under 19 world Basketball championships. I saw the game on TV and it was close. Serbia at one point were 19 points ahead, but the all black US team (one white player came on for about 5 minutes) pulled it back to about 6 points in the end. I don't realy follow basketball so I don't know if any of the U.S. players were highly rated NBA prospects or not. But it just goes to show what european athletes are capable of when given the chance to compete.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the lonely white player was the sensational freshman from Gonzaga, Matt Bouldin. he was the only white player deemed worthy to serve as a lightbulbfor the otherwise midnight black team USA.

he is a great combo guard, and he should be a team leader for Gonzaga this fall, where he will be a sophomore.

furthermore, to my knowledge Bouldin was the ONLY white player invited to try-out for the Under-19 US National Team.
smiley5.gif
smiley7.gif

referendum

Mentor
Yet another example that the US is hamstringing itself by artificially limiting its talent pool. How can we be our best when 12 % of our population gets 85% or so of the rosters on our international basketball squads. We need a roster that, to quote Bill Clinton, "looks more like America."

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i am uncertain of the starters, but the guys who got the most playing timefor the US were: Johnny Flynn, Patrick Beverly, Deon Thompson, David Lighty, and Raymar Morgan.

the only one i've heard of is Patrick Beverly. he is a combo guard for the University of Arkansas, and last year was SEC Freshman of the Year and was the second best player on the team behind SEC Defensive Player of the Year, Steven Hill. (had to get my plug in for my white man)
smiley2.gif

as i said before, Matt Bouldin, from Gonzaga was the only white player to even get a try-out for the squad to the best of my knowledge.

for Serbia, theguys who played the most minutes were: Mladen Jeremic, Stefan Markovic, Marko Cakarevic, Stefan Stojacic, and Milan Macvan.

Serbia spreads the minutesaround aside from theirtwo outstanding talents that stood out from the pack. power forward Milan Macvan led them in scoring with 15.4 points per game while shooting 63% from the floor.
smiley3.gif
athletic shooting guard Mladen Jeremic was second in scoring and shot 54% from the floor. he is probably their best player, and against the USA in the championship game, he played all 40 minutes and scored a game-high 24.
smiley32.gif

Raymar Morgan started for Michigan State as a freshman, before being injured, no mean task.