Tye Fields

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Poor old Tye.

I think we've now seen the last of him.

Michael Grant isn't a bad fighter and I knew this would be a difficult fight for Tye. Grant lost his confidence at one time from working with Teddy Atlas, but he seems back to normal now.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Parody said:
Poor old Tye.

I think we've now seen the last of him.

Michael Grant isn't a bad fighter and I knew this would be a difficult fight for Tye. Grant lost his confidence at one time from working with Teddy Atlas, but he seems back to normal now.

Grant is certainly a better fighter than Monte Barrett who destroyed Fields.

Fight's like this are proving nothing has changed in boxing outside the Eastern Europeans turning pro. White fighters in the west still can't compete with non-whites for whatever reason. The heavyweight division didn't just become weak, or negros didnt just started flooding the NFL and NBA. If not for white fighters from the east we would still be hanging our hopes on guys like Tye Fields and Tyson Fury.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
lost said:
Fight's like this are proving nothing has changed in boxing outside the Eastern Europeans turning pro. White fighters in the west still can't compete with non-whites for whatever reason. The heavyweight division didn't just become weak, or negros didnt just started flooding the NFL and NBA. If not for white fighters from the east we would still be hanging our hopes on guys like Tye Fields and Tyson Fury.

You're probably right on that, Lost. However I think it also has to do with the fact that few American whites get involved in the sport of boxing anyway. Joe Mesi was a good white American fighter and beat decent fighters in Monte Barrett and Vasilly Jirov, though both fights were close. I don't know if he would have ever become champ but he was about as good as it gets for white American talent.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Like I have stated in previous posts for the most part White American talent dried up in the early 60's. Once Whites left the ghetto neighborhoods in NYC and other cities the talent dried up. I knew a few guys from high school that learned martial arts in dojos, I never have known anybody that laced up the gloves at boxing gym from my neighborhood.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Back to Fields he has two huge flaws. When he throws his power shots he leans into his opponent and exposes his jaw. Also he has a glass chin. Glass chins can't be corrected, but that flaw of leaning forward could have been fixed, but at this point he is too old learn new muscle memory.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Hey what about Kelly Pavli! He broke the cycle of American White talent and brought it to the next level by becoming the undisputed Middle Weight Champ. I think you guys are just talking about medicore to club fighter status in the heavy weight ranks.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
Hey what about Kelly Pavli! He broke the cycle of American White talent and brought it to the next level by becoming the undisputed Middle Weight Champ. I think you guys are just talking about medicore to club fighter status in the heavy weight ranks.

Pavlik was very good. If it was the same Pavlik we saw who fought Jermaine Taylor he'd still be champ today and undefeated. No doubt in my mind. The alcohol got the best of him.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes there have been Pavlik's, Czyz's, O'Grady's etc. The difference is that nearly everybody can make middleweight, lightweight, etc. A true heavyweight is a rare physical specimen as you have to be a fit and lean 220 pounds+ in aerobic shape and be athletic too. This cuts down the potential talent pool. Look at Tommy Z he is fighting tonight at 193 pounds. Even he isn't a modern heavyweight.Edited by: white is right

Westside

Hall of Famer
WA 33, Kelly's comeback fight will be on the Pacman vs Mosely undercard. We will find out if he can recapture the lighten in a bottle. That alcohol is a tough opponent to beat if your hooked on it.