Tubby Smith

Kaptain

Master
Tubbys going to Minnesota. A perfect place for a black coach who just wants to feel loved. Minnesota has history of catering to black coaches and making them feel at home in the land of the North. As far as the changing the dynamics of the team, Tubby's hiring won't make a bit of difference as Minnesota has had mostly black teams since the Clem Haskins era - another black coach that left in disgrace.

Just this week I saw an issue of the Minneapolis Star Tribune and in the sports section was a big picture of the State's All-Metro team. It was a picture of 5 white players! Not one of them will be playing for the U of M! Kansas even has recruited one of the guys. But none of them are good enough to be a Gopher.
smiley36.gif

Looking at the Gopher team page, they have actually recruited in Minnesota. Except most of their Minnesota recruits happen to be black. Apparently if your black and live in Minnesota and have played basketball in PE class you are qualified to recieve a scholarship the Gopher basketball team. Silly awards like All-Metro or All-State mean nothing to them. All around a nice fit for that crazy-eyed coach, Tubby Smith. Edited by: Kaptain Poop

Realistic

I'm a KY fan and I'm glad to see Tubby go. The team he inherited from Pitino had a great balance of white and black players and played with some passion. He has proven to be either unwilling or unable to recruit good white players. The rumour around KY is that the last good white players he had (Michael Bradley, who wound up at Villanova and a couple of others) transferred after comments by Tubby that whites couldn't play as well as blacks. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not but we just haven't gotten any good white signees in the Tubby era. Heck, we haven't gotten many good black players either.................

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Tubby Smith has always been a John Thompson Light to me. He's just a bit less overt in his anti-whiteness and has a bit less of a scowl on his face. I'm glad he's out of the SEC.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Some believe black football coaches are marginally fairer to white players than black ones (debatable imo), but when I think of college basketball coaches like Tubby Smith, John Thompason, John Chaney and Nolan Richardson I mostlysee angry, racist coaches with huge chips on their shoulders.

Realistic

As a KY resident and observer of UK basketball I've never detected the angry racism and chip on the shoulder demonstrated by the other coaches you've mentioned. Most people around Lexington, white and black, really liked Tubby on a personal level. It just seemed to me that he either couldn't, or wouldn't, recruit the good white players.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Don Wassle said: Some believe black football coaches are marginally fairer to white players than black ones (debatable imo), but when I think of college basketball coaches like Tubby Smith, John Thompason, John Chaney and Nolan Richardson I mostly see angry, racist coaches with huge chips on their shoulders.

In response I would say this: It is hard for a white coach to be even somewhat fair to white players without criticism from the racist blacks that are often part of an NFL or to a lesser extent NBA roster. It is my opinion that there is a higher percentage of racist blacks than racist whites. It could also be close to equal, but just that it's whites have to keep their feelings to themselves. It's not even ok to even be pro-white anymore let alone anti-black. Whites can't show solidarity to their race like every minority group can. I have had friends "half jokingly" call me a "white supremacist" for saying white athletes are discriminated against. Yet, the media constantly points to cases of discrimination against blacks even in hockey where most blacks have no interest in playing. Look at all the movies about the "first all black team" or the "first black athlete to overcome overt discrimination." I'm just waiting for a movie about Doug Williams and the racism he faced as a black QB in his era.

Black coaches can attempt to be fair to whites and try unconventional things like running Alstott as a running FB like Dungy did. That is, if the black coach believes that whites are discriminated against and fairly evaluates talent. Then there are some black coaches like Lovie Smith or Art Shell who do things the exact way that the white race traitors do. They can have white LBs or O-linemen but never a white RB. They may be racist or may just truly believe that whites are incapable of playing RB, CB or WR.

Lastly, I would say that even a successful black coach like Dungy, or a successful black GM could be called a race traitor if they did something so fair as to draft Tre Smith in the 7th round and give him a shot in training camp to earn some playing time if they didn't have an adequate RB on the roster. The black players would be screaming "Tre Smith? That whitey was a third stringer in college and you're saying I'm competing with "him" for playing time? Coach you must be an Uncle Tom!"

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Lastly, I will re-explain my opinion that it's easier for coaches to break the caste system in the NBA than NFL.

First, of course they can point to the success of numerous white players. This is even true to an extent at the taboo position for whites of shooting guard. I believe there is more discrimination at this position, because it is labeled as an "athletic scorers position." Yet, there have still been recent white players (like Ginobili, Sczerbiak) who have turned heads. Also, as many excuses as are given, the U.S has been losing in international play and excuses only do so much. Europe has had an influence.

Now an even bigger reason: There is the issue of team and locker room chemistry. An NBA roster is much smaller than an NFL roster and it is easier for a coach to manage egos. Often blacks and whites make friends. Of course it also helps that players have to work together to score points by passing amongst the 5 players on the court. You can bet that Shawn Marion loves playing with Nash as they compliment each other very well. Marion is a fast break scorer and is greatly helped by Nash.

In football their is "one guy" running the ball and anyone taking carries away from him is a threat to his glamour, glory, salary and overall employment. I believe that any coach who "never" seems to recruit whites in college basketball is undeniably a racist if they are black or a race traitor "negrophile" if they are white. Some schools like Georgetown or Kentucky may also have anti-white overall recruiting policies. It may not only be due to the coach. The university may feel obliged to give athletic scholarships to the black athlete since they probably don't give many academic ones to blacks. It may be their liberal brainwashed propaganda. I think that the best player (as regards to an already established NBA roster) "usually" plays in the NBA although of course it still depends on the coach.

It is my belief that the NBA should (by my rough estimate) be 45-65% white 15-35% black (count those who are more than half black as black) 20% mixed race, Hispanic, Asian or other. If the NBA adopted the International key and offensive foul rules, I would increase my estimate of the percentage of whites. IMO the caste system in the NBA is enabled by three main factors.

1. Of biggest consequence is the racist anti-white recruitment policies of most of the big-time college programs. Since most of the players are still homegrown this greatly counters the European influence.

2. White players are on a shorter leash as starters which is often enabled by being the brunt of heckling from fans whether it's because they are good or bad. ie. Reddick, Morrison and Pitsnoggle in college "Brokeback Mountain," "Amber Alert," and "Trailor Trash Hick" respectively. In the NBA Scalabrine was cheered wildly and sarcastically as "Veal" every time he touched the ball on the Nets by his own fans. Not surprisingly he is now playing at a higher level with his new team. It's common place to take out your frustration with your teams struggles on whitey.

3. Young white players have to really earn their minutes as to not disrespect the black veterans. And when a young talented white player like Luke Jackson (who by the way is back in the league again in "white friendly" Toronto) is often injured he becomes quickly expendable because he never proved anything on the NBA level. There is one thing that is a must for a white NBA player, proof that they belong by consistency.

Sorry for the rant, but this is an area I've put a lot of thought into. And of course Riggins likes to rant, he's a white RB, lol.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

guest301

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Lastly, I will re-explain my opinion that it's easier for coaches to break the caste system in the NBA than NFL.

First, of course they can point to the success of numerous white players. This is even true to an extent at the taboo position for whites of shooting guard. I believe there is more discrimination at this position, because it is labeled as an "athletic scorers position." Yet, there have still been recent white players (like Ginobili, Sczerbiak) who have turned heads. Also, as many excuses as are given, the U.S has been losing in international play and excuses only do so much. Europe has had an influence.

Now an even bigger reason: There is the issue of team and locker room chemistry. An NBA roster is much smaller than an NFL roster and it is easier for a coach to manage egos. Often blacks and whites make friends. Of course it also helps that players have to work together to score points by passing amongst the 5 players on the court. You can bet that Shawn Marion loves playing with Nash as they compliment each other very well. Marion is a fast break scorer and is greatly helped by Nash.

In football their is "one guy" running the ball and anyone taking carries away from him is a threat to his glamour, glory, salary and overall employment. I believe that any coach who "never" seems to recruit whites in college basketball is undeniably a racist if they are black or a race traitor "negrophile" if they are white. Some schools like Georgetown or Kentucky may also have anti-white overall recruiting policies. It may not only be due to the coach. The university may feel obliged to give athletic scholarships to the black athlete since they probably don't give many academic ones to blacks. It may be their liberal brainwashed propaganda. I think that the best player "usually" plays in the NBA although of course it still depends on the coach.

It is my belief that the NBA should (by my estimate) be 45-65% white 20-40% black. If the NBA adopted the International key and foul rules, I would increase my estimate of the percentage of whites. IMO the caste system in the NBA is enabled by three main factors.

1. Of biggest consequence is the racist anti-white recruitment policies of most of the big-time college programs. Since most of the players are still homegrown this greatly counters the European influence.

2. White players are on a shorter leash as starters which is often enabled by being the brunt of heckling from fans whether it's because they are good or bad. ie. Reddick, Morrison and Pitsnoggle in college "Brokeback Mountain," "Amber Alert," and "Trailor Trash Hick" respectively. In the NBA Scalabrine was cheered wildly and sarcastically as "Veal" every time he touched the ball on the Nets by his own fans. Not surprisingly he is now playing at a higher level with his new team. It's common place to take out your frustration with your teams struggles on whitey.

3. Young white players have to really earn their minutes as to not disrespect the black veterans. And when a young talented white player like Luke Jackson (who by the way is back in the league again in "white friendly" Toronto) is often injured he becomes quickly expendable because he never proved anything on the NBA level. There is one thing that is a must for a white NBA player, proof that they belong by consistency.

Sorry for the rant, but this is an area I've put a lot of thought into. And of course Riggins likes to rant, he's a white RB, lol.
Great Post, Riggins. Didn't sound like a rant to me, you made alot of sense. I guarantee you that Steve Nash(like you said) is very popular with his teammates. Raja Bell remarked the other day about how humble Steve is and how he makes everyone feel that they are on his level although Raja feels he is not and that he has never had a teammamte quite like him or words to that effect.