Tommy Zbikowski Exhibition Match

JD074

Master
Apparently Tommy Z fought in an exhibition match a couple of weeks ago! It was to raise money for charity and wasn't an official professional bout. Hopefully this video will work:

http://www.blueandgold.com/content/?aid=3468

He was pretty crisp in the first round, but was pretty tired after that. His punching became very sloppy, but he's very fluid and has good power. It would be so cool to see him develop as a boxer over the next 3-4 years, if he decides to take that route. He's 5-11 and fought at 205 pounds for this fight, so it's hard to imagine that he could get to an elite level in the heavyweight division. I guess he could get up to 220-225 or so, but since he's already pretty muscular, I assume that most of that weight gain would be fat. As Chris Byrd said about himself after his fight with Klitschko, it would be a "blown up" 225. If only there was more money at cruiserweight; he would be a very interesting prospect. Then again, being a good safety in the NFL would be great, too.Edited by: JD074

Angelcynn

Guru
JD, being from England I don't know all that much about Zbikowski apart from the fact that he was an amazing Defensive back, punt returner and strong safety for his college team Notre Dame. I was just wondering why he ended up boxing? Was it because he didn't think he was going to be picked in the NFL draft or simply because he just wanted to box?

jared

Mentor
TheEnglishman said:
JD, being from England I don't know all that much about Zbikowski apart from the fact that he was an amazing Defensive back, punt returner and strong safety for his college team Notre Dame. I was just wondering why he ended up boxing? Was it because he didn't think he was going to be picked in the NFL draft or simply because he just wanted to box?
http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=2 0051230&Category=NDSports02&ArtNo=51230020&SectionCat=&Templ ate=printart
This article has been linked on here before a while back, but it's a good one to read that covers his athletic family, his boxing, and the stigma that comes with being a white defensive back. He'll definitely be back on the field for ND next year. (If the link doesn't work, just run a search for "zbikowski, deceptively fast". Seriously.)Edited by: jared

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Tommy has been fighting since he was 9. It's not a case of football player turned boxer. He fought 90 fights as an amateur, is 1-0 as a pro, and then fought in this exhibition match.