The State of American Heavyweight Boxing - Why?

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Some may be interested in a topic being discussed on WWL Radio today at 4 o'clock pm central time: "What Happened to the Great American Heavyweight?"Â￾ The usual rationales are likely to be given. The stream can be found here. The impression I got was that the subject was being discussed in the first hour of the show. If it is not sorry for the inaccuracy.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
People don't generally like to get smacked in the face by 220+ lb. guys and have their brain slam around in their skull. Minimum wage jobs, food stamps, 40 ounce malt liquer, etc. are better options. For white or black guys.

Plus, maybe more importantly the culture is gone. We live in a culture where kids are wrapped in a protective coating from birth to adult hood (now-about 35 years old). Wear a helmet when biking, child safety seats in cars, helicopter parents supervising each and every sporting event in a kids life. Can you see the soccer moms at "boxing" practice watching 'precious' get slammed in the head, nose bloodied, and knocked to the ground???? Not hardly. This is true amongst black parents too, to a lesser extent in the ghetto but still they are much more protective then any previous generation.

snow

Mentor
Quiet Speed said:
Some may be interested in a topic being discussed on WWL Radio today at 4 o'clock pm central time: "What Happened to the Great American Heavyweight?"Â￾ The usual rationales are likely to be given. The stream can be found here. The impression I got was that the subject was being discussed in the first hour of the show. If it is not sorry for the inaccuracy.

Don't even bother listening or talking to these turds. They were already talking about this on another show a while back when I was visiting down there for a week. I called in to give my perspective on things and they didn't want to hear any of it. They laughed at the idea that the Klitschko brothers would even have a chance against guys like Sonny Liston, Foreman, Ali, Tyson etc. So yes they used to same excuses that most dwfs use. They couldn't comprehend that an Eastern European could be that great at boxing. The real topic is "what happened to the great black heavyweight" because no one was complaining when Lennox Lewis was champion, and Samuel Peter got hyped up as the next big thing, and then David Haye before he wussed out of fighting either of the brothers.

Their general opinion was, since no "american" heavyweight could compete with the Klitschko brothers, that boxing is not relevant anymore, as if America is the only country in the world with elite athletes

snow said:
Quiet Speed said:
Don't even bother listening or talking to these turds. They were already talking about this on another show a while back when I was visiting down there for a week. I called in to give my perspective on things and they didn't want to hear any of it. They laughed at the idea that the Klitschko brothers would even have a chance against guys like Sonny Liston, Foreman, Ali, Tyson etc. So yes they used to same excuses that most dwfs use. They couldn't comprehend that an Eastern European could be that great at boxing. The real topic is "what happened to the great black heavyweight" because no one was complaining when Lennox Lewis was champion, and Samuel Peter got hyped up as the next big thing, and then David Haye before he wussed out of fighting either of the brothers. Their general opinion was, since no "american"  heavyweight could compete with the Klitschko brothers, that boxing is not relevant anymore, as if America is the only country in the world with elite athletes
I've been banned off four boxing forum,
my sin was to point out that Gerry Cooney was just a green kid but had a fielday on the holdovers from the 70's,
also he went 13 rounds with Holmes,

and the Klitschko's are lightyears ahead of Cooney.
I found that Cooney is the key to knowing how Waldimir or Vitali would do in the 70's and 80s,and the Klitschko haters know it too!

any time you post a Cooney/Klitschko comparison on most boxing forums,
your comment's will be pulled down,just try it!Edited by: lost

white is right

Hall of Famer
If you were to find a White heavyweight from a lower middle class background I suspect his father would be an immigrant from a country where boxing is popular and his father has old school values. Cooney was raised in an abusive household(by modern standards). His dad was similar to the father in Goodfellas who stated American kids were spoiled because they didn't have to work at the age of 13. Very few households are like that anymore.