The New Indiana Pacers

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to start a thread on the new Pacers Squad.They are routinley playing 3-4 white players at a time and are now winning that they have traded R.Artest.
Jaseckavicius(spelling),Stoyakavic,Pollard,Croshere and Foster are all getting alot of playing time.They are a joy to watch.They have won 4 in a row and are going for 5 consecutive wins against the Spurs.Larry Bird should be commended for putting a fun team together that reminds me just a little of the old Celtics Teams.Keep up the good work in Indiana.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
When Croshere is healthy, They'll have 5 white guys receiving big minutes. They played a great game today but fell just short to the Spurs.. for a team that was supposed to pack it in and go home without Artest and Jermaine O'Neal they are certainly still a very good team.. Now if only Bird could get his hands on Adam Morrisom.. what a joy that'd be!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What a dream it would be for both Bird and Morrison.Adam still watches Larry's old game films to study his moves.They are too of a kind.The Hick from French Lick teaching the Washinton Country Boy.Lol.It would be a perfect fit and actually makes alot of sense.Peja could also help him with his transition to the nba.I could also see JJ Reddick wanted to play there but it probably won't happen.Anyways,it is good to see the Pacers on the rise again.Now if only Rik Smits was young enough to still play.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Redick is a more reasonable hope for us though, because it looks as if Indiana will draft somewhere in the middle of the pack and Redick could fall somewhere in there, while there is no chance Morrison will. Also legitimate hope would be a guy like Gansey, Pittsnogle, or Fazekas as they all could sneak into that mid-first range.

The same Larry Bird who dissed white players just a year ago?

guest301

Hall of Famer
I seem to remember Bird saying a year ago in a interview sitting across from Magic Johnson that the NBA needed more good white players. Magic agreed with him.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
guest301 said:
I seem to remember Bird saying a year ago in a interview sitting across from Magic Johnson that the NBA needed more good white players. Magic agreed with him.

Yes. The only way he dissed white players in that interview was he said there wasn't any white players who could guard him when he played, and when teams put whites on him he usually had big games. But he did also say the NBA needs White American superstars..

He said he took it as an insult to have a white guy guarding him. That
may be the "only way' he dissed him, but that is one major way he dissed
them.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Either way, I'll take my chances with Bird having a good white player over Isaiah Thomas, Joe Dumars (Darko..), or any other black GM...

KG2422

Mentor
He may say that ,but he went after that Lithuanian guy harder than anyone else and repeatedly said the guy was a winner. Then he trades for Peja. He gave Croshere a big contract a few years back. He may have changed his mind about the "black man's game" thing after watching the U.S. get pummelled recently by several white teams including Lithuania. I would like to think he has some pride in his people. I hope he was just mouthing off when he said those things.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I think he was just speaking "matter of factly". When 85% of the NBA is black, it is a black man's game. I hope that is how he meant it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It's not 85% is it? I thought it was less than 75% and declining.

guest301

Hall of Famer
You are right. It was 85% when Bird was playing.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I know the comments he made look bad, but it does seem to me that he gives white players more of a chance than most other GMs. Where else would guys like Jeff Foster or Austin Croshere start? Not that they're not deserving - they are both good players - but because coaches think they aren't "atheltic" enough to compete with the best players in the NBA.

JD074

Master
guest301 said:
I think he was just speaking "matter of factly". When 85% of the NBA is black, it is a black man's game. I hope that is how he meant it.

Well, he also said that it will always be a black man's game. Of course, he did say that after he said there should be more white players. Maybe he was instinctively covering his ass, like most white people have learned how to do.

Bunnyman

Guru
Now I have two teams to cheer for - Indiana Pacers and the Utah Jazz. My home team is the Washington Blacks-Only, so I also cheer for any team playing that racist organization.

KG2422

Mentor
Indiana started 4 white players tonight:Sarunas Jasikevicius, Jeff Foster, Peja Stojakovic, and Scott Pollard.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I would love to see Sarunas get more minutes.He should be on the floor for 35 - 40 minutes a game.He is just a very gifted player with the ball in his hands and boy can he shoot.I like his confidence too.He doesn't back down from anyone!

KG2422

Mentor
Sarunas had 14 pts and 11 assists. He took only 8 shots and made 5 of them. He was 2 for 2 from three and made both of his free throws. Many good White players don't put up huge scoring numbers because they are unselfish and take only good shots most of the time.