the importance of just making the team

referendum

Mentor
In the last few weeks I've been pleased that several white players have made different NFL rosters, such as Standeford in Detroit, Vobora on St Louis, Lehman on Buffalo, Bailey on Pittsburg, Busing on Cincinatti. I've been thinking on the on hand is this really that big of a deal since these players will be lucky to do much more than special teams work.
However, I think it is important because even just making the NFL minimum and being on a team for half a season would amount to about 150,000 dollars pre tax money, not a huge amount, but enough to fuel a white players desire to hang in there and keep fighting next year. Take Standeford for instance. He's been trying to make how many different teams, he's done well in pre-season, he's been on how many different practice squads, he's put up with who knows how much racial animosity from black players who would resent a white WR competitor. After a certain point, who could blame him for saying forget this, life's too short, time to get on with my life. Now finally he makes a team, and can start getting some real good money at least for a little while, which will hopefully inspire him to keep trying next year, when again he will be underappreciated and have to fight hard just to make a roster spot.
Same thing with Logan Payne. Obviously a horrible situation where he was injured right at the start of the season but at least he will have earned a full season salary, enough to inspire him, assuming he's back at full strenghth, to try again next year.
Edited by: referendum

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
It's cool they're getting their feet in the door, however it's sort of like when somebody gets hired to work for a company and has all these qualifications and credentials, but is forced to sit on the sidelines or do thankless work while people less competent collect fat checks and keep the company at a level of slow-death mediocrity.