The demise of the of the U

White Power

Mentor
I have to point this out but I am tickled to death that the University of Miami football team is having a really crappy season. I beleive they and and their style of defense that they played in the mid 80's was the demise of the white college football player. Every college wanted to emulate speed on defense give me a small fast nearly coal black defense, and I'll beat your nearly all white offensive lineman and skill position players. Like in the big 10 confrence for instance every one team wanted to keep up. Black was in and white was out. Caste loving Whore Jimmy Johnson took this to a whole new other level when he became their head coach. I remember one game they were playing the university of Houston and how the announcers were raving about how Miami's linebackers were faster than Houston's wide receivers. So if you wanted to win you had to recruit speed. It did not matter if the kid could play because you can't teach speed. Colleges lowered acaademic requirements to make sure they got their fair share of affletes, and white need not apply especially south of the mason dixon line. Now I think the trend is sort of changing back from that The U is now terrible and Kansas is undefeated who would of figured this to be possible back when the U was dominating. Now I don't lay all the blame on Miami certainly Master Bowden has been almost as bad if not worse than the U, but both our having sub par seasons so this football season for me has had extra value watching the 2 blackest programs falter. I could go one about the subject , but I will let others chime in and add to the discussion. College football I beleive is finally changing a little bit for the better and you all can thank Kansas for that now maybe teams will emulate them and all get white tailbacks and almost all white front seven on defense that my freinds would be heavenly to see.Edited by: White Power

JTJTJT

I would really like to see Air Force vs. FLA St. or MIA in a Bowl game this yr

white is right

Hall of Famer
Both Miami and Florida State have been hit by academic scandals and personal conduct scandals. I know when Miami went in the dumper in the late 90's they lost scholarships. I still don't know how guys can flunk out of gym class...
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Air Force will be doing well to get a bowl bid. The MWC has just 4 bowl tie-ins and there will likely be 5 bowl eligible teams. Someone will probably get left out. I hope it isn't Air Force, maybe it will be Texas Christian. Remember when BYU beat Miami in 1990?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The black talent pool is spread out (successfully recruited) more widely over the country than it used to be. And the black talent pool is not nearly as large as the drunk white fans think it is and the Caste System pretends it is.It's alsoshrinking, much as it is in baseball and basketball.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Yes it's wonderful to see Miami U. get pounded by small tobacco-road schools like Wake Forest and North Carolina. Miami and FSU joined the ACC to get a "cake-walk" schedule every year. It hasn't worked out that way.

Hey White Power, thanks for the excellent post!

Bronk

Mentor
White Power, you state the "black over white" idea that propelled Miami into the upper teir well. However this strategy was first articulated at Oklahoma first under Chuck Fairbanks (1967-72) then more ostentatiously under Barry Switzer starting in 1973.

Switzer was the first college coach I know of who stated publicly that you could not win without blacks.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I remember seeing Oklahoma and Texas play in 1969 or 70 and OU having more blacks than most other schools in the midwest/southwest. It hasn't stopped, as OU is one of the blackest teams in the country.

White Power

Mentor
I agree however the U took it to a whole other level, and most teams tried to emulate them where as before in my opinion most schools still fielded mostly white teams with a few exceptions. Barry Switzer was perhaps another caste whore for running the wish bone and being the first coach to always have an athletic black be his quarterback so you do have a point there. However the point I am trying to make is the game of college football itself is set by trends when one team is successful others will copy their formula. I noticed after Miami started to dominate, college rosters started getting a whole lot darker, and their was no place for the white athlete except at certain schools who felt the coudn't compete in the first place. There are other examples but Miami in my opinion did the most damage and hurt the white college football player more than any program in recent history. It is good to see teams that are not all coal black do well like kansas LSU, Ohio state, Oregon, missouri and so forth. So you see it could very well be a reverse if a team like Kansas becomes a dynasty and other teams will have no choice but to follow just to keep up with the changes.

White power, check out the Oklahoma thread. Bronk has some good insight in there.

http://www.castefootball.us/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5632&P N=3

Don't forget before Johnson was there at the U, Howard Schnellenberger put the whole Thug U mentality into play there at Miami. I originally had him as the Granddaddy of Caste Football. But Bronk made me more aware that at least in College Football, that "honor" goes to Barry Switzer.

Bronk

Mentor
Reb: Yes, by 1969 and 70 OU had a few more blacks than the average school. By 1979 and 80 they were the majority of starters. It wasn't until the 1980s that blacks began to dominate college rosters.

Prentice Gautt was the first black player at OU in 1956. Bud Wilkinson recruited on the basis of character (his words), because he coached in the days of limited substitution when guys had to go both ways. Most of his best players were recruited from small towns and cities in West Texas. They formed the backbone of the great OU teams of the 1950s. He recruited not even a handful of blacks in a state that had no Jim Crow laws to prevent it. After Bud left in 1963, a trickle of blacks through Gomer Jones (1964-65) and Jim McKenzie (1966) slowly turned into a torrent by the early 1970s under Fairbanks (1967-72). Switzer (1973-88) was open about preferring blacks to whites, he even talked about how he adopted a particular style that allowed him to recruit blacks. Billy Sims could barely read, but he got into OU because Switzer ran the loosest possible ship with the widest possible authority.

Not surprisingly Switzer died by the sword he lived by. The scandals of his black players (rape, robbery, dope dealing, one player shooting another) caused him to lose his job. One of his own players, QB Charles Thompson even broke into Swizer's home, stole a bundle of trophies and personal memorabillia and tossed them into some river. That's the thanks Barry gets for pioneering the recruitment and play of the black athlete.

Bronk

Mentor
White Power: Again, you state your case well. We really don't disagree. Miami did kick things up a considerable notch with their NWA players of the 1980s.

Switzer was THE original caste whore, that was my point. He was so open about it that he was obnoxious.

By the way, the Wishbone was conceived at Texas by Darrell Royal and copied by OU (at Switzer's behest). The Sooners literally switched their entire offense -- overhauled it -- to the Wishbone in 1970 the WEEK prior to the Texas game. They then parlayed that offense -- still one of the most potent attacks in football -- into a tub of victories and several national titles.

Here's the key to the Miami phenomenon -- and the whole black athletic mindset -- from a Miami cop:

"I tell you, I've spent years analyzing it. (As a Miami police officer) I used to be on patrol in these areas. Since they don't say anything to uniform, I would observe high school, rec league football all the time - practices, spring etc. I always would analyze why we couldn't compete with them. It is because of the savagery of the areas they grow up in. They call it, "The Miami 'Tude." It is a lot more (social scientific) involved than that. It is a mean world. Survival depends on it. If you see the games from the youngest, first, you will be impressed at the display of talent at such a young age. Second, what you see is young kids already reckless and fierce. Sort of like baby alligators - fighting from right out of the nest. That is the way it is in their habitats."

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bronk said:
Reb: Yes, by 1969 and 70 OU had a few more blacks than the average school. By 1979 and 80 they were the majority of starters. It wasn't until the 1980s that blacks began to dominate college rosters.

Prentice Gautt was the first black player at OU in 1956. Bud Wilkinson recruited on the basis of character (his words), because he coached in the days of limited substitution when guys had to go both ways. Most of his best players were recruited from small towns and cities in West Texas. They formed the backbone of the great OU teams of the 1950s. He recruited not even a handful of blacks in a state that had no Jim Crow laws to prevent it. After Bud left in 1963, a trickle of blacks through IGomer Jones (1964-65) and Jim McKenzie (1966) slowly turned into a torrent by the early 1970s under Fairbanks (1967-72). Switzer (1973-88) was open about preferring blacks to whites, he even talked about how he adopted a particular style that allowed him to recruit blacks. Billy Sims could barely read, but he got into OU because Switzer ran the loosest possible ship with the widest possible authority.

Not surprisingly Switzer died by the sword he lived by. The scandals of his black players (rape, robbery, dope dealing, one player shooting another) caused him to lose his job. One of his own players, QB Charles Thompson even broke into Swizer's home, stole a bundle of trophies and personal memorabillia and tossed them into some river. That's the thanks Barry gets for pioneering the recruitment and play of the black athlete.
I recall Sports Illustrated doing a cover story on how Barry went wrong. Also it was beyond dime bag dealing one player was selling crack cocaine. Basically Switzer ran the school and basically asked the dean to fire him...
smiley36.gif
smiley11.gif

Bronk

Mentor
White: If you can ever get your hands on a copy of Robert Heard's history of the Texas-OU rivalry Oklahoma vs Texas: When Football Becomes War get and read it. It goes into Switzer pretty well.

Bootlegger's Boy is interesting, but it leaves out so much. I got to interview Switzer when he came to Houston on the tour for that book.

whiteCB

Master
Yeah it brought a smile to my face when I saw that Miami had lost their last home game in the Orange Bowl 48-0. I was very happy to see that. As the years go on I think we'll see that the demise of the Miami football program started going down hill after that bittersweet loss to Ohio St. in the Fiesta Bowl. If you remember the build up to that game it was all about how slow(and white) Ohio St wouldn't be able to stop that "Miami speed"(black guys). That Miami was a dynasty having won 34 games in a row and Ohio St would get destroyed. However, when those cornbred midwest white boys hung in there with Miami. They actually beat the invisible Hurricanes and that was a blow to the Miami psyche. It has been all down hill for that program ever since and I love it!!!