The Biggest Bust Ever

In1991, the Yankees drafted a pitcher named Brien Taylor out of high school. The Yankees offered him first $650,000. Then, they offered $855,000. Taylor and his parents angrily refused these offers.

It seems a pitcher named Todd Van Poppel got over a million a few years earlier. The Taylors shouted "racism," long and loud. "Van Poppel got that money because he was white. They won't give it to us because we're black," they yelled.The press wasn't very critical of this tactic.Taylor eventually got around $1,500,000. This was considered way too much. The Taylors were very proud of themselves.

In 1993, Brien Taylor's brother got into a bar fight. Brien jumped in, throwing punches. He injured his left, pitching shoulder. Brien Taylor never pitched in the major leagues.

foreverfree

Mentor
sport historian said:
In 1993, Brien Taylor's brother got into a bar fight. Brien jumped in, throwing punches. He injured his left, pitching shoulder. Brien Taylor never pitched in the major leagues.

That fight must have been later in 1993. That year I saw Brien Taylor pitch in the Yankee system against the Reading Phillies. Taylor won IIRC. Sometime later I recall reading about the fight. I feel sorry for him that his dream ended in this way. Wasn't he black?

John

foreverfree

Mentor
Sorry, sport historian, I just reread your initial post. You and others already knew he was black. Sorry.
smiley9.gif

John

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Yep, I even had his rookie card, but it is probably worthless now.

JoeV

Guru
Topps was so high on this guy that they had him autograph 10,000 some
cards as a special insert for a certain set. Yeah once probably worth a
couple hundred dollars, now you couldn't get ten cents for it.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Jeffrey Hammond too! Did I spell his name right? Wasted money buying his cards.
smiley18.gif