Texas Relays

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This weekend should be great.Texas will be the place to be.You will have Jeremy Wariner,Trey Griffin and Jared Connaughton all racing.What a meet this would be to see.
I think we are going to see some really fast times.The weather should be nice from what I hear.Let's hope so.Here is to Wariner dropping a 20.30 or better in the deuce and Connaughton posting a new p.b. in the deuce as well.I would love to see Trey Griffin get into the 10.2 to 10.3 range.Good luck to all these guys.

SteveB

Mentor
Wariner and Connaughton ran the 200m at the UT Arlington meet. Wariner ran a 20.37 and Connaughton ran a 20.59!!! Wow!! There was no wind, so that should put Jared in the NCAA #1 position for the 200m.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I was close on my guess of Wariner being in the 20.30 range.To run a 20.37 this early in the season bodes very well for the summer.He will be running again in two weeks in the Drake Relays.It should be a very fast race and hopefully he will get another p.b.

Jared Connaughton is just a guy that no one seems to talk about.He quietly goes out and kicks butt.This kid has alot of talent.I have always preffered sprinters who double as Jared does.Most guys who only run the 100 don't seem to have the speed endurance of a 100/200 guy.
Keep up the great running Jared!
smiley20.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I checked on the results from today.Jared's time will not be wind legal as it was a 2.1 wind.That sucks.One/one hundreth of a second over the allowable limit!He still had a great race and is clearly one to watch in the deuce.

Wariner's new P.B. of 20.37 is wind legal.The wind was only a 1.3 so it will stand.This is great news.He needs to keep on slowly improving his 200 meters race.He hasn't raced hardly at all over this distance in several years.For Jeremy to be this fast,this early is amazing.As I've said before,anyone who doubts Wariners ability is an idiot!I would be willing to bet that he will eventually join the sub 20/sub 44 club.Very few sprinters have done this.His potential is just scary.He is probably going to be as popular as Mo very soon.Keep up the great sprinting Wariner!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Texas Relays are this weekend coming up.There will be some big names there as always.Jarred Connaughton will be in the 100 meters along with Michael Gauthier.In the other 100 race will be our main man Trey Griffin.They will all have some serious competiion as some of the best sprinters in the nation will be there.
Connaugton is only a junior and has already run the 4th fastest 200 meters in the schools history!I look for some new personal bests from a couple of these kids.

Wariner will be in the 4 x 400 Relay.He is in very good shape can this will be a tuneup for the Drake Relays in a couple more weeks.He will run both the 200 & 400 meters there.I expect him to lower his p.b. in the deuce again there!I would love to see an Andrew Rock siting soon.Hopefully his training is going good!

SteveB

Mentor
Trey Hardee is running away with the Decathalon. Check out his first day events:

100m - 10.36 sec, 1st (collegiate Decathalon record)
LJ - 25'3.25", 1st
SP - 47'5", 1st
HJ - 6'6.25", 4th
400m - 49.11 sec, 1st
4399 points

The guy is a stud. He is on track to smash his PB of 8041 points. Go Trey!!
Edited by: SteveB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
His speed in the 100 meters and long jumping is just incredible.It kind of makes you wonder what he could do if he concentrated full time on the 100/200/400 or even the long jump as his event!He is the real deal!

SteveB

Mentor
Hardee dominates the field, sets a new personal record, and misses the collegiate record by only ONE POINT! He must have been tired going into the 1500m since he ran it more than 20 sec slower than his PB.

110H - 13.83 sec, 1st
Discus - 158'3", 1st
Pole Vault - 17'0.25", 1st
Javelin - 196'10", 1st
1500m - 5:06.73, 9th
Total Points 8462

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Incredible.He will probably be turning pro very soon.He could end up being the next Roman Sebrele except he is from the US obviously.This kid is just a stud!!
smiley32.gif

JGNYC

Trey Hardee may be the fastest white collegiate in America. Even though his 10.35 was slightly wind-aided, it was significantly superior to the times put up by the 100m guys - Steve Koenehmann, Jared Connaughton, Michael Gauthier, Daniel Varnado - at the Texas Relays.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Don't forget about Trey Griffin.He doesn't run until Saturday.Also,alot of the crazy winds affected some of the races but they all had to deal with it.You come prepared regardless.I'm hoping that Trey can post a new p.b. on Saturday in front of his home crowd!

SteveB

Mentor
All of the times in the 100m were slow. The winds down here are really blowing right now and I think the athletes are dealing with cross/swirling type winds in the stadium. It doesn't look good for Griffin as the weather forecast is for a 20mph North wind today.

Edited by: SteveB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Trey Griffin finished a very disapointing 6th place in a time of 10.46!There was even a positive wind of +2.5 and he just had a horrible race.My heart goes out to the kid because no one is more disapointed than him.Earlier in the relay,Trey was part of a bad baton pass that cost Texas the victory.I think that was probably still in the back of his mind and affected his performance.Keep your head up Trey!You have helped the Longhorns many time this year and it just wasn't your day today.

Does anyone have any news on Wariner?I haven't heard anything yet.Hopefully,he can anchor another victory leg in the relay!

JGNYC

I am also disappointed with Trey Griffin's performance, but it makes Trey Hardee's 100m performance in the decathalon seem even more impressive.
The both had the same wind (2.5), but Hardee ran a 10.35 to Griffen's 10.46...and then Hardee went out and did 9 more events!
I would have to say that at this point in the season, Hardee is hands down, the fastest white collegian....and Griffin is probably 2nd. Since they both run for U of Texas, it would be nice to see them together on the relay on the 3rd and 4th legs.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Holy cow!!!!!!Jeremy Wariner ran a 43.3 in his split on the relay.All of the other guys on his squad ran above 45 seconds including his main training partner.I can't believe how fast he is for this early in April! If he stays healthy,there is no telling what kind of damage he can do this year.He was literally like WHITE LIGHTNING!
smiley36.gif