Texas HS State Meet

SteveB

Mentor
Some white sprinters did well this weekend in the Texas State Meet. Here are the top white finishes:

100m 2A Class - 1. Colt Davis 10.50 (5th fastest overall), 3. Jerrod Hodge 10.77
100m 3A Class - 7. Colin Jones 10.95
100m 4A Class - 8. Brandon Oliver 10.93
200m 1A Class - 2. Trey Malone, 22.21
200m 2A Class - 2. Colt Davis 21.32 (5th fastest overall, edged out in photo finish), 3. Sam Buker 21.66
200m 3A Class - 2. Clint Stubbs 21.34
200m 4A Class - 8. Jordan Traub 22.18
400m 1A Class - 2. Trey Malone 49.68
400m 2A Class - 1. Jerrod Hodge 48.22
400m 3A Class - 3. Chris Moody 48.84, 5. Andrew Massey 49.04
400m 4A Class - 3. Justin Amos 48.64, 4. Clay Waggoner 48.68
110mh 1A Class - 1. Garrett Thomas 13.83 (third fastest overall)
110mh 2A Class - 2. Richard Hall 14.35
110mh 3A Class - 3. Luke Shimek 14.42
110mh 4A Class - 4. Andrew Plentl 14.42
110mh 5A Class - 5. Clint Renfro 14.29
300mh 1A Class - 1. Justin Price 37.85, 2. Garrett Thomas 38.48
300mh 2A Class - 1. Brian Holik 37.97, 2. Chad Aguilar 38.42
300mh 3A Class - 2. Travis Beavers 37.44, 3. J.J. Hickam 38.68
300mh 5A Class - 1. Clint Renfro 36.25 (fastest of meet), 2. Jason Perez 36.78, 3. Wesley Bray 36.79 (Bray is also one of the top Decathletes in the country)

Colt Davis was off the radar screen coming into the state meet, but he proved he is one of the top sprinters in the state with this performance.

SteveB

Mentor
Found a little more information on Colt Davis. This kid's performances this year are hard to find, but he ran a hand timed 10.19
smiley22.gif
and I found another time of 10.44!! The only school recruiting him is University of North Texas. This kid should be on the top of every Big 12 school's wish list. I hope he gets a shot with a top track program.

coltdavis.jpg

surfsider

Guru
Great info SteveB. A tough question I know, but do you have a general idea about the number of Texas HS sprinters that get D1 and specifically Big 12 track scholarships for sprinting? It would interesting to "track" that and see, for example, how many black sprinters that aren't as fast as Colt Davis get more and better offers.
As bad as the bias is against white RB's and DB's out of high school the apologists for the caste system have their lame excuses and reasons to fall back on. Those won't wash as easily in the face of the clock. I had this weak idea that if I, we, whomever could compile some good stats on the discrimination that white sprinters encounter out of high school and send it along to John Stossel as a story idea he might give it some consideration. Far-fetched perhaps but maybe worth a try.

SteveB

Mentor
Surfsider, it is hard to find much information on the net about track recruiting. A number of guys that were among the top sprinters in Texas are getting scholarships to play football where they will also probably run track. The only two that I could find that is going to a Big 12 school on a track scholarship is Randy Johnson, who was second in the 5A 100m with a 10.44, and Ryan Adkins, who was first in the 1A 100m with a 10.63. Johnson will be going to Texas A&M and Adkins will be going to Texas Tech in the fall to run track. I'm sure that there will be others that sign in the summer. I'll keep you all updated.Edited by: SteveB

SteveB

Mentor
Colt Davis signed to run sprints for Arkansas yesterday!! This is awesome that this kid will get a shot to run for one of the elite track programs in the country. Go Colt!!!

Colt Davis Signs with Arkansas

Track & field: Aubrey's Colt Davis signs to run track at Arkansas

08:37 AM CDT on Tuesday, May 23, 2006
By Jake Floyd / Staff Writer
AUBREY â€â€￾ More than a month ago, Colt Davis just thought he was a fast Class 2A sprinter. On Monday, after he signed to run track at the University of Arkansas next year, he began to realize he's a little more than that.

"I never thought I'd go to a school that big for track," Davis said. "It's pretty cool. It's kind of crazy, I guess. It was just kind of shocking to sit down and sign all the stuff, and I don't think it has really sunk in."

Davis signed his letter of intent a little more than a week removed from winning two gold medals at the University Interscholastic League state meet in Austin. The senior won the 100-meter dash in 10.50, a time that was actually fifth-best among all classifications at the state meet.

He also ran anchor on the 4x400 relay team that won state titles in 2005 and 2006. Davis also has finished second in the 200-meter dash the past two years.

Davis had to make a choice most high school athletes dream of in picking Arkansas. He had offers from Texas, Texas Tech, Tennessee and Abilene Christian, as well as many other small schools.

"It [Arkansas] seemed like it was just the school for me," Davis said. "They treated me the best, they had the nicest facilities and everyone said they have one of the best programs."

In signing with the Razorbacks, Davis became the first Aubrey athlete to sign at a Division I school since 1985, when Skeeter Akre signed to play football at the University of Minnesota. Davis broke Akre's school record in both the 100 and 200 and will leave with one of the best 100 times in state history with a 10.19.

Davis realized he was going to leave Aubrey as one of the best runners in school history but, as a rather modest person, still needed to believe he could run on the college stage.

"Halfway through this season, he convinced himself that he could run with anybody," Aubrey Athletics Director Daryl Hellman said. "He's very humble, and his own character spilled into his track career and I think he had doubts before. But when every major college track coach is calling you telling you that you are that good, at some point, you have to believe it."

The coaches came calling just a few weeks before the state meet, Davis said. His performance against Class 4A and 5A athletes at the Mesquite regional qualifiers meet did the trick.

"A week or two before state at the Mesquite meet, I beat a lot of 5A guys in the 100 and 200 and my phone hasn't stopped ringing since," Davis said. "I never thought I was as fast as everyone said. Being from just a 2A school, I look fast against those guys. But at that meet, everyone was asking where I was going to school."

Hellman believes it's even more impressive that Davis turned the heads he did without even being dedicated full-time to track. He's always split time with football and basketball, as well as track.

"I believe when he devotes himself full-time to track, who knows how good he'll be," Hellman said. "We could see him in the Olympics one day."

Davis knows those are lofty aspirations for anyone and that he still has a lot to prove in the next year. He said Arkansas coaches told him he could try multiple events to see where he fits in but that he will likely run the 100, 200 and be on the 4x100 relay team as a freshman.

"I know I won't go there and beat everybody like I have been," Davis said. "I'll definitely have to prove that I'm there for a reason."

He's certainly proven enough at Aubrey.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Finally a big school gives a kid from a small town,small high school a chance.Let's give the Arkansas Razorbacks alot of credit.Even though it should be a no brainer,we all know how things go in most sports with the Caste System.I really like the fact that he will have some of the best coaching in the nation and finally be able to concentrate on just track.Who knows where this could lead.What a great ending for a great kid.Congrats Colt Davis.Go show them what your made of!Pure Texas Speed!!