Tampa Bay-- New England

Bart

Hall of Famer
The only games that seem interesting to me this week would be the Bucs - Pats, Giants - KC or the matchup between the Bears and Falcons. It's always interesting to watch Urlacher against Vick. Any opinions.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Vick will get trashed by Urlacher and the Faclons will lose. The Giants will beat Kansas City, despite what Jay Novacek says. New England and Tampa Bay is a toss up to me.

backrow

Hall of Famer
well as a avid fan of Bucs football i will go out and take my homer pick: Bucs 24 Pats 17, hopefully with a TD or two by Alstott!

Giants will beat KC if they can slow down LArry Johnson and Shockey should have a good game vs Chiefs secondary...

I hope Bears will show Falcons where they belong which is: NOT in the playoffs! My prediction here is Bears 19 Falcons 10

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Bucs 21 Pats 16

KC 30 Giants 24

Bears 20 Falcons 17

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bear-Arms said:
Bucs 21 Pats 16

KC 30 Giants 24

Bears 20 Falcons 17

Okay guys, thanks for the input. I think the Bucs are playing well and could probably beat the Pats in Tampa Bay but it may be snowy and cold around Bean Townso, I will go with the Pats. If Tom Brady's leg doesn't bother him, he should make more smart plays and turn the ball over less frequently than Simms, who's been spotty.

Giants - KC is a tough one for me. I'd like Shockey and Manning to have big games but I think the Chiefs will win. Eli has been too inconsistent, throwing 5 INT's and only 1 TD the last three weeks. I think Green is an underrated QB who can do a lot of damage.

Can the Bears put enough points on the board to beat the Falcons?If they score 20, it'll be because the defensedoes the heavy lifting. Orton and the offense don't scare anybody, do they? But it will be fairly cold and the Bears got spanked last week, so maybe they will come out smoking. I'd like to see Urlacher lay one on Vick, but if he does Schaub wiould come in and probably beat em. I don't think Dunn, Vick and what's his name came pound on the Bears as well as Pitt. did last week.Is there anyone on the bears who can field a punt or kick? They can't do any worse. I will go with the Bears.

Don't have a clue about scores this week.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
The Giants will beat Kansas City, despite what Jay Novacek says.

Col. I wasn't aware Novacek was analyzing games. I don't have cable or satellite, so I just read -free- on line stuff and watch network games.

Bart

Hall of Famer
The Patriots made - Cadillac - look like a Yugo today. Some QB's may look more spectacular and have better stats than Tom Terrific, but damn, who would you rather have in a big game or crunch time?Something overlooked is how well he fakes out the defense with deft ball handling skills. On fourth and one or two, he's automatic in sneaking for a first down.

Spooge

Guru
Well " Chucky" coached a pathetic game today. Caderac averaged
about 1.5 yards per carry. Fhucky then used Pittman, who gained
about 1.5 yards a carry. On many occasions the Bucs had 3rd and
short. What did Gruden do? you guessed it, he ran Williams or
Pittman. He even threw the ball on third or fouth and
short. The dumbass used Alstot on one 3rd and short and he got
the first down. After that you would have thought Alstot broke a
leg or something. Now the Falcoons still have a chance to get
into the playoffs. However, I'm sure the Bears will exploit
Messiah Vick's weaknesses.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Bear-Arms said:
Bucs 21 Pats 16

KC 30 Giants 24

Bears 20 Falcons 17

I'm 0-3 if you count last weeks Bears - Steeler game. Edited by: Bear-Arms

backrow

Hall of Famer
i am 1-1 this week, but went wrong where i really wanted to be right...
smiley19.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Pete King wrote a remarkably favorablepiece on Brady's performance in the Bucs game. At a Christmas party the evening of the game I was talking about the same two throws King mentions in his article, and a guy chimes in and says that Brady is an average QB who just happens to be in the right system. He also thinks Vick walks on water.

FOXBORO, Mass. -- Readers of this column know what I think ofTom BradyNot just as a player, but as a person and a guy who took less money to help the team's salary-cap situation. I was in the Brady-for-Sportsman crowd, probably as a leader of the pack. This morning, I'm not here to say he's better thanPeyton Manning,worse than Peyton Manning, the same as Peyton Manning, because, let's face it, they're both all-timers. I don't know who's better. They're the DiMaggio and Williams of this NFL era. But that's a debate for another column.

It's understandable that what Brady did on Saturday in the 28-0 rout of the Bucs would get lost because of the incredible job by the Pats defense. (I write about that D in my SI "Inside the NFL'' column this week.) Brady gets taken for granted, almost, and it's a tribute to his consistent greatness that a 65-percent, 258-yard, three-touchdown, no-pick performance against the NFL's No. 2 defense was barely discussed after the game. Except by those who really know football, like Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. Brady was magnificent in this game. I mean, top-10-in-history magnificent.

I refer to two throws. The first was what Kiffin talked about the moment he saw me in the Bucs' locker room after the game. "That quarterback is unbelievable," Kiffin said in a soft, raspy voice. "That throw he made on the third play of the game, I mean, I don't know who else makes that throw. An absolutely perfect throw.''

Late in the second quarter, New England was driving again. From the Bucs' 33, approaching the two-minute warning, Brady faded back and again looked left. This time shallower. Simeion Rice steamed around left tackle and got his big left hand on Brady's facemask. Brady went to throw. Rice yanked. Brady's facemask just as he finished his throwing motion. Two yellow flags flew. The ball came out a little wobbly, but strong, and nestled into the arms of Tim Dwight , who ran to the 6. Gain of 27. And more: 15-yard facemask penalty on Rice. Half the distance to the goal. First and goal at the 3, and Corey Dillon ran it in on the next play.

Now, let's say 90 percent of the passers in football are playing the Bucs on this day. I say the vast majority of the quarterbacks in football have their team up 3-0 at the two-minute warning.

Not New England. Not with Brady. New England, 14-0.

"What we saw today,'' Ronde Barber said, "was a living legend.''

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Brady was Sports Illustrated's 2005 Man of the Year. The accompanying article was excellent, nocriticisms to neutralize thecompliments, no racial insults. You should buy a copy if it's still on your local newsstand.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Renaissance Man said:
Well " Chucky" coached a pathetic game today.  Caderac averaged
about 1.5 yards per carry.  Fhucky then used Pittman, who gained
about 1.5 yards a carry.  On many occasions the Bucs had 3rd and
short.  What did Gruden do? you guessed it, he ran Williams or
Pittman.  He even threw the ball on third or fouth and
short.  The dumbass used Alstot on one 3rd and short and he got
the first down.  After that you would have thought Alstot broke a
leg or something.  Now the Falcoons still have a chance to get
into the playoffs.  However, I'm sure the Bears will exploit
Messiah Vick's weaknesses.

Gruden got outcoached and his personal crusade NOT to give Alstott his due shares is gonna come back and bite him in the ass... Alstott should have around 400-500 yards and 8-12 TDs by now, and that's not including receiving where he is second most reliable receiver...

Bart

Hall of Famer
This writer ( black) makes a case for Brady as MVP.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_ michael&id=2266135[/url]

Anybody out there still think this guy's a system quarterback? Better question: Is there a more deserving candidate for MVP?

"The guy is just too good," Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin marvels. "It's no secret. He's fantastic. You watch the tapes. Tape after tape after tape. It's just Brady. He has a nice supporting cast, but it's him."

Brady's greatness lies beneath the surface. He has managed to compile a near .780 winning percentage because he might be the best manager in football at the quarterback position. As important to the Patriots as the things Brady does are the things he doesn't do.

"The hardest thing for a quarterback is when things don't go the way you think they're going to go," Bill Belichick says. "The receiver falls down, guy runs the wrong route, some rusher comes free that should have been picked up. There's usually four, five, six of those situations in every game. What does the quarterback do in those situations?

"It's not like we come in there and Tom's like, 'Well, what am I going to do on this play? I'm lost.' He knows 50 things to do. Now here's 51 and 52. 'Here's something we haven't seen before. If this happens, this is how we want to treat it. If that happens...' He's able to take those exceptions and those 1-in-20 cases that occur and he's usually able to do the right thing. That's what a good quarterback does."