Still scraping for Negro Leaguers

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
J. B. Cash has written of what a joke the Negro Leagues were -- little more than glorified beer leagues with embellished record keeping when there was any at all. Yet the pandering to blacks never abates, with MLB intent on enshrining more Negro Leaguers decades after thevery fewwith even a remote claim to such an honor were voted in.

An incredible 39 "candidates" are being evaluated by a screening committee, which means this farce is sure to continue on for many years to come.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2232210

I don't mean to be contrary but... If the Negro Leagues
were so weak, how do you explain all the sucess that blacks had in the
early days of integration. Guys like Jackie Robinson,
Newcomb, Hank Aaron etc...

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
*sigh* ... looks like another troll.

I don't mean to be contrary but...

Then don't be. The six of your posts that you've written so far are all contrary.

Kaptain

Master
Hoosier_ Pride said:
  I don't mean  to be contrary but... If the Negro Leagues
were so weak, how do you explain all the sucess that blacks had in the
early days of integration.  Guys like Jackie Robinson, 
Newcomb, Hank Aaron etc...
I guess I will entertain you and answer that question. Jackie Robinson was suppossed to be one of the best from the Negro leagues - thats why they chose him to be the first. He was a good player, but overall was unspectacular. He had a career .311 BA and averaged 16 HR's a year. Again good but not great. Remember, this is the entire Negro League's best. That's a weak league. A few good players does not make the entire league comparable to MLB. Not even close.Edited by: Kaptain Poop

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good post, Kaptain. Also, the point of my original post was not that there were never any good Negro League players, but that still screening 39 of them three decades later for possible inclusion in the Baseball Hall of Fame is pure racial pandering.Any worthy Negro League candidates-- andin my opinionthe Hall should be reserved for those who played MLB no matter how unfair its pre-1947racial policiesmay have been -- were inducted into the Hall many years ago.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
and in my opinion the Hall should be reserved for those who played MLB no matter how unfair its pre-1947 racial policies may have been -- were inducted into the Hall many years ago

I don't think MLB's racial policies were unfair. It's a private organization and they did not want to associate with negroes just like whites in the rest of the country at that time. What's unfair? You don't get to join an organization just because you're good, they have to want you.

Realgeorge

Mentor
The South side of our "diversified" suburb had a restaurant open a few years back, which featured a Sports Bar dedicated to "the memory of Negro League Baseball." The restaurant was open about ten months, then went belly-up!

Deacon

Guru
<h1>Hall to consider 39 Negro, pre-Negro leaguers</h1>

Negro! Ha. At a time when people must be PC and refer to blacks as
African-American, it's alwways funny to see the old negro tossed in
there.

Edited by: Deacon

I wouldn't have to be contrary if some of you fellas would stick to the
truth, instead of making up stories to fit your arguments. I
might as well read the newspaper if iI want to read a bunch of
convenient lies.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
The Negro League should have it's seperate Hall since it wasn't a part of MLB at that time.

When they run out of Negro League players maybe they'll start inducting players from the Japanese League.

Also, some the Negro League games were played on Minor League fields, don't know how much of a difference that is.

I'm too tired to write anymore.
smiley11.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Hoosier_ Pride said:
I wouldn't have to be contrary if some of you fellas would stick to the
truth, instead of making up stories to fit your arguments. I
might as well read the newspaper if iI want to read a bunch of
convenient lies.

Paige was the greatest pitcher of all time, we know, that is why there has been so many black CY winners.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Hoosier_ Pride said:
I wouldn't have to be contrary if some of you fellas would stick to the truth, instead of making up stories to fit your arguments.  I might as well read the newspaper if iI want to  read a bunch of
convenient lies.

Mr. Hoosier Pride,

As a matter of curiousity I checked your previous posts to see how "contrary" they were. In the main I do not think they constitute a great amount of contrariness. However you have definitly not gotten into the spirit of things around here.

It is not so much that we want to command absolute obediance to a point of view but rather to make it a comfortable place to express those views that are looked upon so unfavorably in other forums.

Your input is welcome as we seek to gather as much information about our particular interests as is possible. You must also though expect to be met by strong response to contrary views as the nature of this forum is to proudly wave the flag of white achievement in athletics.

As you can expect any such group with the aforementioned interests would also be expected to vigorously propagate such views and thus some of them will be of a nature to tend toward the excessive.

I would also think that is one of the charms of our small place on the internet. We are unabashedly supportive of our people and consider it personal insult to hear otherwise. Isn't that refreshing? In a world where any white achievement is degraded or ignored we, on the other hand, loudly proclaim it to the world.

Surely you would not deny us this small enjoyment in a world that is otherwise so depressingly against us?

Freedom

Mentor
Negro Leagues, were in no way, just as good as the
white leagues. Willie Mays was playing Negro League ball at
16. He went 1 for 26 in his first few games in the show.
While he became one of the all time greats, he clearly wasn't prepared
by the Negro Leagues.

They obviously had talent in their leagues, but they weren't as polished probably as the big leaguers.

You see, this scraping for Negro Leaguers is about
Bud Selig attracting blacks(well African Americans) to the game to
supplement the hispanic invasion. Why is it so important that
American blacks constitute half of the big leagues? Of course, that means more diversity.
smiley1.gif

Edited by: Freedom

Bart

Hall of Famer
Freedom said:
He went 1 for 26 in his first few games in the show.

I remember reading somewhere that he was actually something like 1- 53 and in danger of being shipped out.