Stan Musial Biography

This Summer, i am reading some biographies of famous baseball players. Last week, ESPN Classic reran their bio of Stan Musial. One of the main points is that Musial's reputation has faded, while Williams, DiMaggio, and others have stayed famous.

In the Bill James 1987 Baseball Abstract, James discusses this and tells us why he rates Musial ahead of Williams. Ted, until no longer able, was always being interviewed and quoted while Stan was mostly ignored. Still another major Williams bio, by Leigh Montville, was recently published.

My own memory is that during the 1950's, Stan Musial was the most respected player in baseball. More than Williams, Mays, Mantle, and Aaron. The late Roberto Clemente is the subject of a very flattering and much publicized recent biography. No serious student of baseball would have rated Clemente as being as good as Musial at his best during the 60's. The so-called sabermetricians DO like Musial. Jayson Stark in his book, "The Stark Truth," rates Musial the most under-rated left fielder of all time.

James Giglio, an academic historian, who writes Presidential biographies, has written a book about Stan Musial. It is published by the University of Missouri, not by a big publisher.

The ESPN show starts with Robert Creamer saying, "It drives me crazy the way Musial has disappeared from baseball's consciousness," A Cardinal announcer says that Musial is unhappy with this, "He feels there is an east coast bias." John Thorn says that "Stan Musial was geographically challenged. If he was in New York, he would have been Lou Gehrig. Tim McCarver says that "nobody was ever more appropriately named than Stan the Man."

Professor Giglio comes on and says, "If there is a mystery about Musial, it is in contradictions. During his playing career, no player was more cooperative with the press. On the other hand, in terms of anyone wishing to write about his life, Stan Musial has been virtually inaccessible. No superstar of his time has less reason to be secretive about his life, but in reality, Stan Musial has been as secretive as Joe DiMaggio."

A few days ago, i went to a Borders store and purchased Giglio's book. In the preface, he writes that to his surprise, except for a 15 minute telephone conversation, Musial refused to cooperate. He also doscouraged others from talking to Professor Giglio. Overall, Giglio writes very admiringly of Stan Musial, stressing his personal decency and great baseball skill.

I have only read parts of it so far. Giglio insists that Musial's Donora PA years are very important, and makes much of Musial cutting ties with his hometown. Giglio has a very long chapter on the events of 1947, and here is were he criticizes Musial. Namely, most of his Cardinal teammates did not want Jackie Robinson in the league. Stan did not object to Robinson. There appears to have been a move to strike. The strikers were told that they would be banned from baseball, and it ended.

Stan quietly let it be known that he supported Robinson's right to play in the majors. Giglio sees it as a "moral failing" that Musial was not vocal. If Stan had done so, he would have messd up the chemistry on his team, which is why he was "silent." To this day, Stan does not talk about the fact that most of his friends on the Cardinals were against integration. He will not embarass them, in my opinion. Giglio does not understand this.

I have read only parts of the book, but it is worth reading so far. I am finishing the Williams book by Montville, first.

Musial is a class act. Always an ambassador to the game and the Cardinals. Still beloved unlike any other Cardinal player (Only Ozzie and Red could even come close). Even the african americans in town love him.(One of the few Cardinals at the time who had no problem playing against Jackie Robinson, he just wanted to play the best). But even with that, he is proud of his Western Pennsylvania roots even if he doesn't mention it much anymore. He was cut from a tough Polish blood if I remember correctly. Served his country in WW2. Played like his hair was on fire but one of the nicest people you will ever meet. My dad had the chance to meet him years back at a charity function. As my dad told it, Mr. Musial shook my dad's hand and looked him directly in the eye and smiled. My dad said he had never had a person greet him as a man with strong convictions but still be so courteous, respectful and funny. If he would have played in Boston or New York he would be even well more known. 87 (or 88 can't remember) years old and can still play a mean harmonica on opening day
smiley36.gif
. His stats even now compare to the best who have ever played. Very few men like him because he is the man. Stan Musial
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Edited by: mrjohnnynofear

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I remember as a boy that Musial was right up there in reputation with Williams, DiMaggio, Mays and the other post-WWII greats.

Baseball should honor him while they still can. He should be the centerpiece of the next All-Star game, just as Williams was a few years ago.

Here are his career statistics. Notice that he finished in the top five in NL MVP voting 9 times! 3,630 hits, a .331 batting average, nearly 2,000 RBIs, what a great player he was. http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/musiast01.shtml

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
I remember as a boy that Musial was right up there in reputation with Williams, DiMaggio, Mays and the other post-WWII greats.

He certainly was a fabulous hitter and was revered in the past. Nowadays Buck O'Neil gets more media hype.

Don Wassall said:

Baseball should honor him while they still can.  He should be the centerpiece of the next All-Star game, just as Williams was a few years ago. 

Here are his career statistics.  Notice that he finished in the top five in NL MVP voting 9 times!  3,630 hits, a .331 batting average, nearly 2,000 RBIs, what a great player he was.  http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/musiast01.shtml

I agree. I would like to see Stan Musial honored at an All-Star game as Ted Williams was.

Don Wassall said:

Baseball should honor him while they still can.  He should be the centerpiece of the next All-Star game, just as Williams was a few years ago. 

Here are his career statistics.  Notice that he finished in the top five in NL MVP voting 9 times!  3,630 hits, a .331 batting average, nearly 2,000 RBIs, what a great player he was.  http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/musiast01.shtml

I was searching the Forum for past threads about Stan Musial and found this one.

The Cardinals wanted to make the 2009 All-Star game in St. Louis into a tribute for Musial similar to the one afforded Ted Williams before the 1999 All-Star game in Boston.

However, Major League Baseball decided to invite the new president, Barack Obama, to the game. That ended any special ceremony for Stan Musial.

A new biography of Musial came out this year. The author is long-time NY Times columnist, George Vecsey. Like recent biographers of Al Kaline and Roger Maris, Vecsey makes a point of what a good man on and off the field Musial was. Edited by: sport historian