Softball and shorts?

sunshine

Mentor
Since they have put a few NCAA softball games on ESPN I have noticed the majority of teams now where traditional looking baseball uniforms--long pants etc.. My question is why? I don't understand the female mentality behind uniforms whether it be basketball and now softball. In tennis for example women generally where skirts or female looking shorts. Yet in softball they have decided to ditch the shorts . I am not one of those guys who think men and women come from different universes etc.. but they do have different bodies and part of the allure of female sports is surely sex appeal or at least a semblence of it. Think femalecheerleaders---and even men and women cheerleaders wear different uniforms for the most part--. As for softball they should go back to wearing shorts. Not too long either. Just an idea to help spruce up a game that needs some tweeking. In fact maybe they should go back to skirts like the old time female baseball teams used to wear. Maybe the ratings would rise no pun intended.

JD074

Master
I always wondered if they scratched their legs when sliding, so
maybe it's just practical. Or perhaps the cliche about the
lesbian softball player is true and they can't stand the thought
of men looking at their bare legs. There are many female
athletes who accept the reality that men like their bodies and
take advantage of it by posing nude or nearly nude in
magazines. "If it brings attention to our sport, why not" they
say.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Feminism dominates the media and these peopletend to be very much against displays of feminine beauty as somehow "sexist" or "demeaning" or part of the "evil patriarchy." Feminism has a strong and curious asexual element to it. They can't hide their intense dislike of Anna Kournikova and other attractive female athletes who don't mind being admired for their looks. JD's probably right about the practical aspect as well.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Maybe they're just tired of having to shave their legs before every game.
smiley2.gif

foreverfree

Mentor
This isn't new. Back in the spring of my senior year of high school (1979) our HS's softball team had unies just like the ones sunshine described. Indeed it wasn't until that year that our school could afford it. In the previous years at my alma mater the girls wore jeans and sleeved tees for uniforms. But yes, bring back the shorts.
smiley2.gif

Our baseball team had the same problem. Not until the spring of my junior year, which was the spring of 1978, they settled for tshirts and jeans too. In '78 we could finally afford real baseball uniforms.

As for BASKETball shorts on females, I'd like to see them get rid of the clown pants that pass for basketball shorts and go back to real shorts, the kind the Royal Teens sang about. At least on the white chick hoopsters.
smiley2.gif
The men can have THEIR clown pants, which are getting ridiculously long.

John

sunshine

Mentor
Enjoying the posts and the humour about shaving legs. Forverer free makes a good point about basketball uniforms. The men should always wear baggy and the women a short tight one piece or at least shorter and tighter shorts. Women as we know are fashion hounds so why is it when it comes to sports uniforms they lose all perspective? In fact I am surprised a fashion designer can't come up with something for female athletes that is not over the top sexy--won't fly with public at largeas we know--but something low key sexy that puts emphasis onthe beauty of the female body--which I and countless other men worship to no end.And JD is right some or many female athletes are not afraid of having there bodies seen by men--see sometennis players etc..

JD074

Master
Yesterday I caught a glimpse of a softball game on ESPN and
one team had pants and the other shorts. I actually thought
the pitcher looked hot in the pants. They were skin tight and
accentuated her long legs. The shorts were baggy and didn't
show off the shape of the legs as much. And they wear those
long socks so I could only see a few inches of skin. So maybe
it's not so bad....
smiley17.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
JD074 said:
Yesterday I caught a glimpse of a softball game on ESPN and
one team had pants and the other shorts. I actually thought
the pitcher looked hot in the pants. They were skin tight and
accentuated her long legs. The shorts were baggy and didn't
show off the shape of the legs as much. And they wear those
long socks so I could only see a few inches of skin. So maybe
it's not so bad....

Cold shower recommended

foreverfree

Mentor
KD52171 said:
Most of em look a lil lesbianish.

A lot of them looked like lesbos at a national softball tournament held in my small hometown 11 years ago.

Getting back to the topic... on the back page of today's Delaware Co. (PA) Daily Times is a pic from a HS softball game. Both girls (they're opponents) are in shorts. Neither look lesbianish. But FWIW the one girl is sliding.

John

Bear-Arms

Mentor
This is a little off topic,but I was watching television ,and came across this show about softball. Some of these guys looked bigger than major league players. I wonder why the bulked up so much for slow pitch softball.

http://www.softball360.com/bombsquad.html

KD52171

Guru
Softball is usually made up of guys who can no longer play anything else.

Softball gives them a high. Its serious stuff to some. Steroids are rampant in softball around here.