Soaring above the crowd

sunshine

Mentor
The pole vault is the weirdest T& F event. Most everyone can't even try it. And if blacks were to start winning ityou wouldsee the athletic aspect of the event emphasized more than ever. Like the long jump the pole vault requires a lot of raw athleticism. Remember when SI was comparing the athleticism of Michael Jordan and Sergei Bubka? They were trying to figure out who would win in a decathlon. In fact Isinbayeva was a gymnist and long jumperI thinkbefore settling on pole vaulting.

At Helsinki Yelena Isinbayeva continued her winning world record ways. One article said the weather had been rainy miserable for most of the WC's but the skies cleard just in time for the current T&F princess to strut her stuff.It was as if the skies new it was time to clear.The first day when she jumped it was like an optical illusion. She cleared the bar by so much and with the tv angle the way it wasfor a second I thought she was leaping out of the stadium. But that is the thing with Yelena. There does not seem to be a limit on how high she can go. Many experts are whispering they cannot believe what they are witnessing, a women clearing 5 meters with such grace and ease. With Maria Sharapova not in tip top form as of yet this year Yelena, a media darling , is clearly the Queen of all female athletes. She has the looks, personality and winning edge that frankly no other athlete can match these days. She is Wonder Woman!!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It is such a good thing for sports to see women like
Isinbayeva and Sharapova doing so excellent in sports.
They are great role models for the little girls growing
up around the world.Not to mention that we enjoy watching
them dominate their sports with grace & beauty.They are
also very intelligent & both give great interviews.Here
is to the continued success of both of them & many more
to follow in their footsteps.

SteveB

Mentor
You're right about the pole vault. In high school, my track coach encouraged me to try it. He thought that I would be good because I had done gymnastics when I was younger. Boy was I surprised how hard and scary it was when I tried it. It takes tremendous upper body strength, good jumping ability, body control, and a daredevil attitude. After a few tries, I decided that it wasn't for me.