Shark Called Up

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He struggled early on in his pro baseball career, but Jeff Samardzija has already made it to the big leagues, called up the other day by the Cubs as a middle reliever.
smiley32.gif

<H1 ="story_line">Samardzija takes fast track </H1>

Getting control of his off-speed pitches -- to go with a power fastball -- helped Jeff Samardzija ascend in two seasons from a draft project to a member of the Cubs bullpen Friday. The former Notre Dame wide receiver, who gave up a potential pro football career to play baseball, probably will be used in middle relief while closer Kerry Wood is on the disabled list.

''I wouldn't put a timetable on anything and said I would work on the pitches I needed to,'' Samardzija said of his rapid rise. ''The way I've thrown the last 1½ months, I'm happy. It happened and I'm excited. Everything seems to come together. I got into a rhythm, and instead of carrying it for three innings, I carried through seven. I was throwing strikes and getting ahead of hitters ... and it doesn't hurt to have guys scoring six or seven runs behind you [at Class AAA Iowa] and playing good defense.''

Rest of article: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1075547,CST-SPT -cubnt26.articleEdited by: Don Wassall

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
He`s got a big-time fastball, that`s for sure. If he can keep the pitching arm healthy, he should be a good one. His athleticism should make him better than most pitchers in the field, and maybe even at the plate, too.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Van_Slyke_CF said:
He`s got a big-time fastball, that`s for sure. If he can keep the pitching arm healthy</font>, he should be a good one. His athleticism should make him better than most pitchers in the field, and maybe even at the plate, too.

Which is something you seriously always have to wonder about with Larry Rothschild as his pitching coach. At least he doesn't have Dusty "The Arm Wrecker" Baker as a manager though.

Edited by: Bear Backer