Senate passes hate-crimes bill

Bart

Hall of Famer
http://jta.org/news/article/2009/07/17/1006603/senate-passes-hate-crimes-bill

Senate passes hate-crimes bill
July 17, 2009

WASHINGTON (JTA) -- The Senate approved legislation that would expand federal involvement in investigating hate crimes.

By a 63-28 vote Thursday, the measure was attached to the defense authorization bill, considered "must-pass" legislation by the Senate. Five Republicans joined every Democrat present to vote in favor.

The Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act would permit greater federal involvement in investigating hate crimes and expand the federal definition of such crimes to include those motivated by gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability. Supporters say the legislation would allow federal authorities to pursue hate-crimes cases when local authorities are either unable or unwilling to do so.

The House passed a similar bill in April, and President Obama has said he would sign the legislation. The bill has passed both houses of Congress previously, but has not survived the conference committee process.

A number of Jewish groups, headed by the Anti-Defamation League, have been working for a decade to enact the measure.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Actually the Defense bill, which the "hate crimes" bill is now attached to (as mentioned in the above artilce), hasn't been voted on yet. Most likely that will be Monday. I fear that it will pass and be signed into law, but it hasn't happened yet.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Actually the Defense bill, which the "hate crimes" bill is now attached to (as mentioned in the above artilce), hasn't been voted on yet. Most likely that will be Monday. I fear that it will pass and be signed into law, but it hasn't happened yet. 

Yes, attached to the Defense Bill. More info.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jul/17/senate-bill-would-expand-federal-hate-crimes-law/

The Associated Press

Friday, July 17, 2009 | 1:18 p.m.

People attacked because of their sexual orientation or gender would receive federal protections under a Senate-approved measure that significantly expands the reach of hate crimes law.

The Senate bill also would make it easier for federal prosecutors to step in when state or local authorities are unable or unwilling to pursue hate crimes.

"The Senate made a strong statement this evening that hate crimes have no place in America," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said after the chamber voted Thursday to attach the legislation as an amendment to a $680 billion defense spending bill expected to be completed next week. (snip)

Kennedy, being treated for cancer and unable to attend the vote, said in a statement that the bill "closes the flagrant loopholes that for too long have prevented effective prosecution of these shocking crimes that terrorize entire groups of communities across America."

Republicans will have the opportunity to propose several more changes to the hate crimes bill on Monday, but that will not change its status as part of the must-pass defense bill. (snip)

The bill is named for Matthew Shepard, a gay Wyoming college student who was murdered in 1998.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Gender? Does this mean domestic violence will be categorized as a hate crime and prosecuted in Federal court?

Looks to me like the only group not covered by this legislation is white men.

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:

Of course! Not to worry. When Sotomayor eventually takes her seat on the Supreme Court, she will work tirelessly to rectify the situation.
smiley2.gif

One of the many quotes made by Harry Reid on the bill.

"This bill simply recognizes that there is a difference between assaulting someone to steal his money, or doing so because he is gay, or disabled, or Latino or Muslim."

What an idiot!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Ah yes, cultural Marxism legislated/endorsed by the Globalist Elite puppets on "Crapitol sHill"...another blow against our freedoms!
smiley7.gif
smiley6.gif

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Wow, I guess it's official....the victims of some crimes ARE more important than others!

Geez, and to think...I was under the impression that 'all men were created equal.' I suppose they can't see the hypocrisy in that?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Gender? Does this mean domestic violence will be categorized as a hate crime and prosecuted in Federal court?

to answer question 1: protecting "alternate genders" was a key component, because homosexuals apparently have the right to force their twisted lifestyle choices on the rest of us.

and with regards to your last sentence, you are correct. Attorney General Eric Holder himself went on the record during the congressional hearings that this legislation will not protect White people. he said, "There's a certain element of hate, I suppose. What we're looking for here in terms of the expansion of the statute are instances where there is a historic basis to see groups of people who are singled out for violence perpetrated against them because of who they are. I don't know if we have the same historical record to say that members of our military have been targeted in the same way that people who are African- American, Hispanic, people who are Jewish, people who are gay, have been targeted over, over the many years ... "

here's the video.

additionally, during recent testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee when he was asked about the application of the proposed Hate Crimes law to a Christian minister that spoke about the "sin" of homosexuality, Holder said that a homosexual activist who is attacked following a Christian minister's sermon about said topic would be protected by the proposed federal legislation, BUT A MINISTER ATTACKED BY A HOMOSEXUAL WOULDN'T BE.

here's a link to that.

i recently saw an editorial cartoon that provided a vivid depiction of the situation. it was a drawing of a White male nailed to a cross with S.909 draped around his head like a crown of thorns, and Eric Holder, whowas dressed like a Roman soldier, was set to plunge a spear into his side while "our political leaders" looked on with glee. i wish i could find a link so i could post the image.

Holder andthe associated powers that bedon't seem to have a problem protecting a certain group of people ... as long as they're "the correct" people, of course. if Whites want to look out for their own, well that is the epitome of evil.

Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood