Samuel Alito

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, maybe Bush is growing a pair after all. I think its past time we had a fight with the liberals over this guy, and I'm looking forward to it. If he is truly another Scalia, all I can say is thank God!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9874588/

BonnieBlue

Alito was described by Judge Napolitano ( Fox News ) as a "big government conservative". Did you expect anything else?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't consider Scalia a big government conservative, and Alito is being compared to Scalia by the liberal media. I look forward to the confirmation hearings, then I can judge (no pun intended) for myself.

JD074

Master
"Big government conservative," what an oxymoron. Limited government is one of the defining principles of conservatism, at least that's my conception of it. He could've said "neoconservative," which is also contradictory.

I haven't researched Alito, but if he's pro-big government, then he's not a conservative.

Colonel_Reb said:
I don't consider Scalia a big government conservative, and Alito is being compared to Scalia by the liberal media.

Perhaps they're painting with a broad stroke. Would they even know the difference between a traditional conservative (small government, non-interventionist foreign policy, etc.) and a neoconservative (our President)? Probably not. They look at a few issues, like abortion and guns, and whoever "thinks like a conservative" regarding those issues is lumped into the same category. But Bush isn't the same kind of conservative as me, regardless of what he thinks about abortion and guns.

Of course conservatives probably do the same thing with liberals. What's the difference between Hillary Rodham and Teddy Kennedy? Darned if I know. They're simply stinkin' liberals, and they think of us as stinkin' conservatives.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point about the contradiction of terms, JD. I had noticed that earlier but failed to point it out.