Russian Sprinters

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Russia has had outstanding success with their womens teams in the sprints and the distances.Even this year,2 of the top 3 times in the 60 are by Russian Women.

Finally the men are starting to get back to where they were along time ago.There are alot of very gifted men sprinters quickly on the rise.With the World Indoor Championships to be in Moscow,Russia in March,we could see a Russian Sprinter win the title of worlds fastest man over 60 meters.

Some of the names to watch out for are as follows:

Andre Yepishin,Aleksandr Ryabov,Maksim Ovchinnikov,Aleksandr Volkov,Andrey Prokinorov,Mikhail Yegoryokev,Aleksandr Smirnov.

Good luck to all of the Russian Sprinters.Hopefully someday soon,we will see another V.Borzov type.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Aside from Vitali Savin nobody can compare to Borzov. To me Borzov is unicorn of caucasian sprinters...........

Gary

Mentor
Lets face it the Russians had the Fastest man in the world and the Strongest man in the world. Meanwhile the people of Chad were waiting for a handout!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A.Yepishin won another race today in Greece.He ran a 6.61 to beat a very good field.This kid is always in the same range.He doesn't flucuate as much as other sprinters and that is why he wins so many races over the 60 meters.I would like to see him get down into the 6.5 range by next season.He should be a threat to make the finals in Moscow in front of his people.

freedom1

Mentor
I was just reviewing the top European 100 times.

http://www.tilastopaja.net/static_html/eurotop30allt.htm

and apparently, Borzov ran his 10.07 in the semis at the '72 Olympics with a 0.0 wind reading. He ran a 10.14 in the final easing up (he was quoted as saying he only gave 90 percent in the final). The final was the race was without Eddie Hart and Rey Robinson (the 2 top American sprinters of the day). Usually sprinters save it all up for the final. I guess what I'm saying is, is how fast would've Borzov gone in that final had he been pushed. Also, what if Borzov would've only contested the 200. A fresh Borzov letting it all hang out in the 200 final would've broken 20.00 for sure. I wonder these things because according to the numbers, it looks like he was at his peak during the 72 games.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info freedom1.I had totally forgot that he ran that fast in the semis with no wind.He could have easily gone sub 10 in the 100 with a 1.9 - 2.0 legal wind.I also read on many occasions about how he never wasted energy.Borzov only ran fastest enough to win.He wasn't all about himself like todays sprinters.

I'm really curious how Yepishin can progress this season.I posted before the Worlds how he was really consistant in his races & could possibly make the final.He ended up winning the silver in a blazing 6.52 as we know.If this guy can just put some complete races together,he will have a chance.I think that his biggest area he needs to work on are his start & his speed endurance.I would love to see him drop a sub 10.10 this summer!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Andrey Yepishin opened his outdoor season finally today at the Euro Cup.He finished 2nd in the 100 meters by 1/100th of a second in a time of 10.29!Not a bad opener by any means.With his vastly imporved 60 meters times this season,I expect him to get into the sub 10.2 range this season and maybe even down to around a 10.10.I hope he can get some of the other young Russian Sprinters to improve their performances.Yepishin is all alone as far as any thing respectable for the men at the moment.The Russian Women are incredible though at just about every event from the sprints on up!Edited by: white lightning

freedom1

Mentor
Yepishin just won the Russian Championships for 100 meters in 10.27.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Not a bad time.I sure wish he could just kick it up into another gear.His start and accelation is incredible.Remember,he ran a 6.52 for the silver medal as the 2nd fastest man in the world indoors earlier this year.That shows sub 10 potential but he just seems to die coming down the last 30-40 meters.That is why he should incorporate more 200's into his training.He needs to learn how to carry his speed better.Alot of it is just relaxing and not tightening up.Let's hope that he can get into the 10.10-10.20 range later this summer.

devans

Mentor
Andrey Yepishin came second in the Euro championships today in a time of 10.10 secs (+1.3) on a cool wet eveing in Sweden.
He looked great throughout the championships and ran 10.12 in the semis.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He is still fairly young if he doesn't burn out he could final or even medal if he keeps improving. I especially want a more level playing field in terms of PED policing. Russia/USSR used to be a chief abuser among PED usage now with their stagnation in times and lack of competitors you know that PED usage has virtually halted. While in the US and other western countries its still unabated....