Roger Bannister Movie on ESPN

On Thursday night, ESPN premieres "Four Minutes," about Sir Roger Bannister's record-breaking feat in 1954. It wil be on both ESPN Classic and ESPN2 at 7pm ET. A surprising subject for ESPN, perhaps.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm looking forward to watching that movie.It looks like they did a descent job producing it.I sure hope so.I would love to see a movie on Allan Wells or V.Borzov.Has
there ever been a movie made about either of these guys?

The only Track and Field movies I can think of off-hand are Chariots Of Fire and a TV movie on Jessie Owens. The film, Four Minutes, seems to be what members of this Forum would want to see. If it gets high ratings, there might be more of the same in the future.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks sport historian.I've seen Chariots of Fire several times and enjoyed it.I just got done watching the ESPN Movie on Roger Bannister.I enjoyed it.I thought they did a good job getting you to know his life on and off the track.He was quite a fine young man.The kind of athlete that we rarely see anymore these days as far as personality goes.I give the movie two thumbs up and I hope it does good with the ratings.I would love to see a ongoing documentary about the chase for a sub 10 by a young up & coming sprinter like Pickering.It would be quite fascinating to watch.If only a film crew could follow him around for the next few years.

surfsider

Guru
The only running flicks I can think of are about distance runners. In the late 90's there were two movies about Prefontaine, "Without Limits" with Billy Crudup and "Prefontaine" with Jared Leto. In the early 80's Robbie Benson played Billy Mills in "Running Brave.
In the disease-of-the-week TV movie category there is "A Shining Season" the story of miler John Baker who died young of cancer. An odd but interesting fictional miler movie is "The Jericho Mile" with Peter Strauss about a Folsom inmate attempting to qualify for the Oympics.

Thanks for mentioning the two Steve Prefontaine movies, Surfsider. Not many people saw them, though I did.Prefontaine lost his big race in the 1972 Olympics. It doesn't help a sport's movie when the hero loses his biggest test.

Poacher

Mentor
Watched the Bannister movie. It was alright..it definately had
that "made for TV" feel to it but all in all not bad. The
Greenspan documentary before the movie was very good. Got to see
the actual footage of the race... it was very inspiring.

Just goes to show you what a motivated white boy can do when he puts his mind to it.

maninblack

One more runner movie....The Loneliest Runner, circa 1976, starring Lance Kerwin, a fictional story inspired by the true life experiences of Director Michael Landon. A 13-year-old boy, a chronic bedwetter, is belittled by his family and humiliated before his peers. He channels his frustrations into running, beginning with his junior high track team and eventually rising to the world stage as an Olympic marathoner.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In each issue, Sports Illustrated runs an excerpt from years past. This week's was Paul O'Neil writing about the "Mile of the Century," which took place in August of 1954 between Roger Bannister and John Michael Landy, who had lowered Bannister's mark after he smashed the four minute mile barrier earlier that year.

The first paragraph belowis an example of excellent, descriptive writing:

"The art of running the mile consists, in essence, of reaching the threshold of unconsciousness at the instant of breasting the tape. It is not an easy process, for the body rebels against such agonizing usage and must be disciplined by the spirit and the mind. It is infinitely more difficult in the amphitheater of competition, for then the runner must remain alert and cunning despite the fogs of fatigue and pain; his instinctive calculation of pace must encompass maneuvers for position, and he must harbor strength to answer the moves of other men before expending his last reserves. Few events in sport offer so ultimate a test, and the world of track has never seen anything equal to the 'Mile of the Century,' which England's Dr. Roger Bannister -- the tall, pale-skinned explorer of human exhaustion who first crashed the four-minute barrier -- won last Saturday from Australia's world-record holder, John Michael Landy.

"It was the most widely heralded and universally contemplated footrace of all time. Thirty-two thousand people jostled and screamed while it was run in Vancouver's new Empire Stadium, millions followed it by television. Despite the necessity of jockeying on the early turns and of moving up in a field of six other good men, Bannister ran a blazing 3:58.8 and Landy 3:59.6. Landy's world record of 3:58 still stood, but on the battlefield Landy was beaten, man to man, and Roger Bannister reigned again as the gian of modern track."

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Excellent. Thanks for posting that. What legends these guys were. Still household names in alot of places. I myself in addition have 3 guys I really admire from the past. Bobby Morrow, Valery Borzov and Allan Wells. All incredibly gifted sprinters who won at the highest levels but still maintained class while doing so. They were both feared and respected by athletes, coaches and fans around the world.