Rob Mackowiak

IceSpeed2

Guru
Nice to see a white infielder hitting well.
Hopefully he keeps it up to challenge Carlos Lee. Nothing against
Lee, but I hope more whites can show talent.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Are you a Brewer fan? Ever since they switched to the NL I haven't really paid attention to them.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mackowiack is a lot like many of the white football and basketball players we talk about -- a classic "overachiever" in Caste System terminology. Drafted in the 53rd round, only 5'10" and 168, kicked around the minors for a long time, yet when he finally got some big league playing time he has excelled beyond the wildest expectations of the "experts."

One of the things that will continue to benefit him is that because he had always been branded as nothing more than a potential "utility man" at the major league level he can play just about all the infield and outfield positions. It would be great to see him stay among the NL batting leaders.

College baseball is 95 percent white and is filled with Mackowiak types who are simply good ball players, yet so many are forced to yield to the hispanics who are coveted by the powers that be just like blacks are in football and baseball. Go Rob!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
College baseball is 95 percent white and is filled with Mackowiak types who are simply good ball players, yet so many are forced to yield to the hispanics who are coveted by the powers that be just like blacks are in football and baseball. Go Rob!

Good point Don! David Eckstein is also such a player at 5'7" and 165 lbs. Let's support these talented kids.

IceSpeed2

Guru
Maybe utility men have offensive advantages as
well. Pitchers do not watch them as carefully on film.
Also, utility men are the guys expected to be situational players so
they know how to hit in different situations when defensive alignments
change, hit and runs, and sacrifice plays. I think this applies
more to the National League.