Report makes case for paying players!

Riddlewire

Master
Title IX guarantees that college football players will NEVER be paid more than the small amounts they get now.
It's written is such a way ("...be denied the benefits of...") that anything can be interpreted as an "equal right" that is owed to female students.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Never happen. Paying them would make them employees, then you have unions, then wage scales, then strikes, the whole college football world would collapse, universities are not sitting back with the money they make from football, they pour it right back into other sports. Besides a 4 year degree at a major college is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Compensation enough.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I'm not saying they should get a salary per say, but they should a have fair percentage of their jersey sales and be allowed to work memorabilia shows and Kiwanis clubs. As it stands now they can't do that. :thumbdown:

How long would it take for some judge to rule that you have to pay female athletes (who don't generate any money) the same amount you do an All-American passing QB? Not long.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Historian if you let the stars keep that appearance type of money then let a female golfer get her appearance money which unless she is future Wie, Nancy Lopez etc it will be nothing. You would have the same problem with paying a MAC star and a SEC or Big 10 star.

Historian if you let the stars keep that appearance type of money then let a female golfer get her appearance money which unless she is future Wie, Nancy Lopez etc it will be nothing. You would have the same problem with paying a MAC star and a SEC or Big 10 star.

Male athletes getting more money than females will result in endless court challenges.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I agree if the universities paid these athletes you would get a court challenge. If it's on the open market for autograph fees I disagree. Like I said there is a discrepancy even among different conferences in revenue generating ability.

I agree if the universities paid these athletes you would get a court challenge. If it's on the open market for autograph fees I disagree. Like I said there is a discrepancy even among different conferences in revenue generating ability.

Which is why college athletes putting themselves on the open market will make things even worse than they are now. How would the smaller colleges and conferences survive?

Hawkeye2

Mentor
If they stated paying player, most likely the school tuition would go up and it would only hurt the students that are going to school for an education. I personally think they should allow anyone who is over 18 to be allowed to play professional sports. Maybe the NFL could set up some kind of minor league system.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
A free education should be enough...I believe full rides include room and board and dining expenses, probably buying books as well. This should not even be a conversation IMO, the avg college athlete probably gets between 20,000 - 30,000 a year or more depending the the college/university they play for and that is a conservative estimate. The only reason this is a debate is this that "affletes" wants money for drugs, tattoos, cars, clothes and shoes. DWF Boosters are more than happy to appease them, they are all morons.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If they stated paying player, most likely the school tuition would go up and it would only hurt the students that are going to school for an education. I personally think they should allow anyone who is over 18 to be allowed to play professional sports. Maybe the NFL could set up some kind of minor league system.
Congress would have to enact legislation to force the NFL to create a developmental league or to allow drafted prospects to play in college. If they did allow drafted prospects to play in the NFL you would have to change the rules of the NCAA. There is no way the NFL is going to waste millions to have minor league teams in tier two cities like Peoria or Sioux Falls.

white is right

Hall of Famer
A free education should be enough...I believe full rides include room and board and dining expenses, probably buying books as well. This should not even be a conversation IMO, the avg college athlete probably gets between 20,000 - 30,000 a year or more depending the the college/university they play for and that is a conservative estimate. The only reason this is a debate is this that "affletes" wants money for drugs, tattoos, cars, clothes and shoes. DWF Boosters are more than happy to appease them, they are all morons.
In the story they interview a former player who stated that he couldn't get by on 3 meals because of his size and physical activity. I remember playing football at 170 pounds and shedding weight to 160 pounds and being ripped to the bone on 3 meals at the high school level. So the meal stipend is a bit of a joke for a 250 pound linebacker or a 300 lineman. I do agree that if they did get paid a basic working salary ie 2k a month the money would get wasted on mustangs and fast women. I mean the average player that plays for 500K plus is living from game to game if you read the studies on bankruptcy.....:biggrin:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer

I agree with Leonardfan, if this weren't the case, how is it that many affletes already have tattoos, do drugs, drink too much, etc. without being paid! Some of them are getting money somewhere already and their priorities are misplaced, you don't have any money, but you're getting tatoos and such!

With that being said, I believe as a part of your scholarship, athletes should receive maybe a debit card with a certain amount of money, that could be used for various needs of the athletes, extra food, a movie, clothes, etc. No alchohol, jewelry, etc.!

Money on the cards would be an amount based on what sport you play and how much money your sport generates period.

College scolarship athletes should never be paid! They get a free education that could potentially be worth millions, depending on the field they choose.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I agree with Leonardfan, if this weren't the case, how is it that many affletes already have tattoos, do drugs, drink too much, etc. without being paid! Some of them are getting money somewhere already and their priorities are misplaced, you don't have any money, but you're getting tatoos and such!

With that being said, I believe as a part of your scholarship, athletes should receive maybe a debit card with a certain amount of money, that could be used for various needs of the athletes, extra food, a movie, clothes, etc. No alchohol, jewelry, etc.!

Money on the cards would be an amount based on what sport you play and how much money your sport generates period.

College scolarship athletes should never be paid! They get a free education that could potentially be worth millions, depending on the field they choose.
I remember when I went to college scrip(meal coupons) were virtually currency in the student dorms and they were used to settle debts in card games. Guys would sell them at a negotiated price, the winning card players could get as fat as BJ Raji if they wanted too.......:tongue:

jaxvid

Hall of Famer

Oh God another form of welfare, more money from the white taxpayer to the black freeloader. I think they should PAY to play. The exposure from the university is invaluable to them. If you want to consider the market implications then how about the marketability of the "brand" names of colleges????

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Oh God another form of welfare, more money from the white taxpayer to the black freeloader. I think they should PAY to play. The exposure from the university is invaluable to them. If you want to consider the market implications then how about the marketability of the "brand" names of colleges????

Not sure what you mean by comparing welfare which is funded by taxpayers to the government to basically adding some money to a scholarship paid out by the revenues made by the colleges off that particular a sport.

Are you comparing the white taxpayer to the black freeloader to revenues made and paid out to both black and white athletes in the form of scholarships.

So , you believe no one deserves an athletic scholarship and everyone should pay to either go to college or play a sport in college and if they do accept a sholarship their accepting welfare?

I don't believe in wealth spreading either, but if their not going to allow the student-athlete to work while on scholarship, it's a way fund their scholarship without actually paying them to play.

The amount given would not make any of them rich, but might be a way to end this debate.

I'm not saying this is the solution, just a possiblity. I don't know much about welfare, but there would be stipulations put in place and of course the funding would stop at the end of 4 years of tuition or if the student-athletes grades and conduct were not sufficient.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Not sure what you mean by comparing welfare which is funded by taxpayers to the government to basically adding some money to a scholarship paid out by the revenues made by the colleges off that particular a sport.

Are you comparing the white taxpayer to the black freeloader to revenues made and paid out to both black and white athletes in the form of scholarships.

So , you believe no one deserves an athletic scholarship and everyone should pay to either go to college or play a sport in college and if they do accept a sholarship their accepting welfare?

I don't believe in wealth spreading either, but if their not going to allow the student-athlete to work while on scholarship, it's a way fund their scholarship without actually paying them to play.

The amount given would not make any of them rich, but might be a way to end this debate.

I'm not saying this is the solution, just a possiblity. I don't know much about welfare, but there would be stipulations put in place and of course the funding would stop at the end of 4 years of tuition or if the student-athletes grades and conduct were not sufficient.

Personally I don't "get" scholorships at all. I understand if a private organization or private college want to set aside some of their own monies to finance the education of someone they like, it's their money so that is fine with me.

However the idea of a publicly funded school (and for Div 1A football scholorship purposes they are almost all publicly funded) designating money they get from the public treasury towards paying the education of other peoples kids for whatever special reason, is to me outright theft.

I know that it is currently a kind of quaint notion for someone to care how govt spends the money they take from me and give to other people, but I do. I really don't know what educational purpose a football (or tennis, or swimming) team provides to a college so I believe that it is a big fat waste of money. And since it finances the college careers of so many illiterate affaletes it is more then a waste of money, it is a crime.

But the idea of also paying these non-students to play, and knowing that the money is going to come eventually out of my pocket--well that really grinds me. Look--- major league baseball has had minor leagues for about 100 years. And guess what, they have teams in cities like Peoria and Soiux City, I know, I've been there and the game was a lot of fun. A more popular sport like football could do it too. But why would they bother when so many people want to finance it for them for free. Another advantage of being a millionaire NFL owner=the fans want to pay to train your future employees!!!!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Personally I don't "get" scholorships at all. I understand if a private organization or private college want to set aside some of their own monies to finance the education of someone they like, it's their money so that is fine with me.

However the idea of a publicly funded school (and for Div 1A football scholorship purposes they are almost all publicly funded) designating money they get from the public treasury towards paying the education of other peoples kids for whatever special reason, is to me outright theft.

I know that it is currently a kind of quaint notion for someone to care how govt spends the money they take from me and give to other people, but I do. I really don't know what educational purpose a football (or tennis, or swimming) team provides to a college so I believe that it is a big fat waste of money. And since it finances the college careers of so many illiterate affaletes it is more then a waste of money, it is a crime.

But the idea of also paying these non-students to play, and knowing that the money is going to come eventually out of my pocket--well that really grinds me. Look--- major league baseball has had minor leagues for about 100 years. And guess what, they have teams in cities like Peoria and Soiux City, I know, I've been there and the game was a lot of fun. A more popular sport like football could do it too. But why would they bother when so many people want to finance it for them for free. Another advantage of being a millionaire NFL owner=the fans want to pay to train your future employees!!!!

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, you could call scholarships a form of welfare, but I look at it as a reward for smart and hard work demonstrated in the classroom and playing field.

Unfortunately, today you don't have to do really much of anything if your black and have a little bit of talent on the field. The type of so-called student athletes they're letting in D-1 colleges is pathetic.

I hate to pick on teens, but when I heard Crowell out of Georgia, state, " I be a dawg", translation, I'm going to attend The University of Georgia to be a bulldog, I knew he had no business going to a D-1 school unable to speak English.

This is what it has turned in to. He has taken a scholarship from a kid whose worked hard in the classroom and on the field. He sounded like a kid who'd been pushed through school, because of his football ability. At best he should be in a community college working on his education and based on how he performed in the classroom, be able to play football!

I know this isn't going to change, so under the current system, I was o
ffering a possible solution to the illegal activities going on.

If the universities are not going to allow scholarship athletes to work or accept money from boosters, then add to their scholarship fund, so they can go somewhere, buy a shirt, help get their parents to a game. The money could not be used for any misplaced priorities!

If they do, then there will be no excuse for accepting illegal money, and if they do they suffer the consequences! Expulsion from the university!

i wish there was a statistic that showed where actual division 1 black graduates from football actually get a god paying job after football is over. Why do I think it would be a very low low low percentage?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yeah, that's what I was getting at, you could call scholarships a form of welfare, but I look at it as a reward for smart and hard work demonstrated in the classroom and playing field.

Unfortunately, today you don't have to do really much of anything if your black and have a little bit of talent on the field. The type of so-called student athletes they're letting in D-1 colleges is pathetic.

I hate to pick on teens, but when I heard Crowell out of Georgia, state, " I be a dawg", translation, I'm going to attend The University of Georgia to be a bulldog, I knew he had no business going to a D-1 school unable to speak English.

This is what it has turned in to. He has taken a scholarship from a kid whose worked hard in the classroom and on the field. He sounded like a kid who'd been pushed through school, because of his football ability. At best he should be in a community college working on his education and based on how he performed in the classroom, be able to play football!

I know this isn't going to change, so under the current system, I was o
ffering a possible solution to the illegal activities going on.

If the universities are not going to allow scholarship athletes to work or accept money from boosters, then add to their scholarship fund, so they can go somewhere, buy a shirt, help get their parents to a game. The money could not be used for any misplaced priorities!

If they do, then there will be no excuse for accepting illegal money, and if they do they suffer the consequences! Expulsion from the university!
Yes anybody that speaks that poor English (worse than any legal immigrant from anywhere) has no business in a 4 year college. In baseball he would be playing in rookie ball and trying to see if he could get to A ball. I would love to see what the percentage of blue chip high school prospect get drafted after their eligibility is used up.