Predictions for the Euro Cup Championship

freedom1

Mentor
Yes, in the western world, national categorizations have lost much of their meaning. When I hear an athlete is Japanese, I know he's Japanese. When I hear he's Russian or Polish, I also know what I'm going to get, but when he's "French" or "English," I'm looking for a pic on the web. When he's American, I know he's black. It's sad to see Italy going down this same road. When I read about the long jumper, Howe, I knew from the name something was up.

The people who want a new world order with no national sovereignty are really winning out. What's the point of even wearing a uniform with a country's name on it? Was there someone in Italy who felt some sense of national pride when Howe won the long jump? When Guy Drut won the 110 meter hurdles gold in 1976, I think every person in France had a tear in his/her eye.

I admire the Asians and Eastern Europeans for staying strong. Nations are really just families grown big.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This site has the 100 European Championships 100 Meters Finals in slow motion and normal speed.The high resolution is incredible.Yepishin was crushing the field for most of the race.He has the one of the best starts I've seen since Morne Nagel around 4 years ago.If Andrey could have held his top end speed just a little bit longer,he would have won in a sub 10 and took home the gold medal.Dariusz Kuc was literally looking around and was pissed during the race that he was behind.You could see him try to catch up but it was just too late.This kid is a firey competetor!He will be a special sprinter and because of his size should be a great starter like Andrey.Here is the link.My thanks to Thor who is on most of the track chat sites and he is nice enough to share his videos with the world.He is the man for doing this for track lovers everywhere.

http://folk.uio.no/perel/

Edited by: white lightning

freedom1

Mentor
Caucasian athletes continue to be competitive at the Euro champs. Vladislav Frolov gets a silver in the 400, at least 3 white athletes are in medal contention in the men's 200 and 1,2,3 sweep in the women's 100 meters.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Kim Gevart(spelling)was dominant through all of the rounds.I hope she can pull of the double.The two Russian Sprinters finishing in 2nd and 3rd was nice too.We have a good chance in the deuce of several medals.The triple jump for the women.White men won two of the three long jump medals and the high jump medals as usual.I'm still most pumped about A.Yepishin,M.Osovnikar and D.Kuc.They will be a force in the next several years up through 2008.Wouldn't it be great if all 3 of them went sub 10 eventually.I also can't forget Greg Rutherford,the future of the long jump.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Johan Wissman took the silver in the 200 meters final.He ran a new swiss record of 20.38!He also ran that time in the semifinals.K.Beyens just missed the bronze but looked impressive.

freedom1

Mentor
The report from the official site said Wissman got a bad start.

"While Obikwelu was the overwhelming favourite, the pressure on Wissman was still significant. Every Swede expected a medal and as the athletes lined up the crowd took up the cry "Johan, Johan". It appeared to unsettle the blond 23-year-old, for he had a terrible start."

albinosprint

Mentor
if you watched the race it was really obvious. the Nigerian made the stager up on him in the first few seconds. if he had a better start he could have shaved at least 2 tenths off. this guy is one to watch in the future!

G

Obikwelu was probably going to win this anyway, he's no chump, he's been a top sprinter for years and his best in the 200 is 19.8 so he doesn't have to run the perfect race to go 20.0. The other guys would have to run their best race ever just to hit 20.2 or so.

This was still a good heat though, all runners at world class speed again. It looks weird to see white runners in the final, I'm used to American track. How can anybody not notice the trend that white guys tend to stop running if there are a few million blacks in their nation? It's very unlikely that all the real British and French men combined are slower than the Swiss men. That's like a 10 to 1 advantage in population.

freedom1

Mentor
Yes, I believe Obikwelu would've won anyway. It's just kind of a bummer that Wissman did not significantly lower his PB. It's apparent that he had peaked correctly for this meet in that his time for the final was the same as what he achieved in the semi.