Oliver Koenig

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This kid finished 2nd in the finals of the long jump.He
is from Germany and is a senior.He has 10.32 speed in
the 100 and is a very fine long jumper.He jumped 26 feet
in the finals to take the silver medal.Whether Oliver
goes back to Germany,or stays here,he should have a very
good future in athletics.Here is a link about him.

http://cyclones.collegesports.com/sports/c-track/mtt/koenig_ oliver00.html

SteveB

Mentor
He got second to one of my Aggies, Fabrice Lapierre, who is a white kid from Australia. When was the last time two white kids went 1-2 in the long jump at the national championships?
smiley1.gif

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
When was the last time two white kids went 1-2 in the long jump at the national championships?

The last time was last year, because it happened again this year!
Arturs Abolins (Nebraska and Latvia) and Fabrice LaPierre (Texas A&M and Australia) went 1 - 2 in the NCAA LJ this year.
Also Jessie Williams of USC won the HJ.
..and they say white men can't jump.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
I was figuring there was a reason why two guys who were caucasian went 1 and 2. Now I see why they are foreigners....
smiley36.gif
When was the last time a white American won the NCAA long jump competition? I suspect it was in the 60?
smiley5.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Maybe so but I still root for these guys just as hard as I root for Wariner.Both of these guys should have good potential to turn pro and make some noise.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I think the last white guy to win the NCAA LJ before these guys was Finn Bendixen from Norway in '73. Before that Pertti Pousi of Finland in '68.
Also Rainer Stenius of Finland in '66.
So for a white US champ, you might have to go back to the 50's.
Americans, Danny Seay-Kansas was 2nd in '75, and Bill Rea-Pittsburgh was 3rd in '72

JD074

Master
How about those white leapers! Awesome! I missed the long jump but I was very excited to see Williams win the HJ. And now I'm excited to see that we finished 1-2 in the LJ.

It's a good thing that Lapierre is Australian, otherwise people would assume that he's Hispanic!
smiley36.gif

lapierre-fabrice-mug.jpg

Also does anybody know who finished second in the 800m? I only saw the recap, not the actual race, and from a distance he appeared to be white.

Edited by: JD074