Oil Can Boyd Calls Wade Boggs a Bigot

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't believe anything a drug-addled loon like Boyd says, but I do remember reading something some years ago that claimed Boggs was upset because too many of his White teammates on Boston were dating black girls. Can't remember if it was a book excerpt or an article of some kind, but I doubt many White athletes are or were dating black women.

Tom Iron

Mentor
For whatever it's worth, Boyd also said Jackie Robinson integrating the majors was bad for blacks and the Negro Leagues. He's right there. Robinson, and others, killed the Negro Leagues. They couldn't survive without their best players. They were only A-AA calibre at best anyway. They were only "leagues" in a very loose sense of the word. Seldom did teams all the teams that started a season survive the full season and none actually played a full scheduled. Also, players were constantly jumping teams, sometimes in the middle of a double header. It was a very chaotic situation at best. Even Robinson jumped his contract with the KC Monarchs to join the Dodgers, but the White owners of the Monarchs got together with the Dodgers to work it out. Very interesting subject, but very difficult to get into because there's was so little coverage in those years. Most of the Negro papers that did any coverage at all are long gone and of course, they left no files, as usual.

Tom Iron...

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I always liked Wade Boggs,,,

I wouldn't believe anything a drug-addled loon like Boyd says, but I do remember reading something some years ago that claimed Boggs was upset because too many of his White teammates on Boston were dating black girls. Can't remember if it was a book excerpt or an article of some kind, but I doubt many White athletes are or were dating black women.

Even blacks are repulsed by black women so I find the Boggs anecdote highly dubious. The very idea of multi-millionaire, athlete white bachelors choosing to date sheboons is laughable.

Boyd accuses former Boston Red Sox teammate Wade Boggs of being a bigot and using the “n-wordâ€￾ every day

ha ha, good one Oil Can. We all know if Boggs had ever said the dreaded "n-word" even in haste, it would have been a national news story for weeks on end, his career would have been over, and even if he apologized profusely he'd be run out of town like John Rocker, forever branded with a scarlet letter R for being an evil racist.

Deacon

Guru
Wade Boggs had this tradition where he ate a whole chicken before a game...Oil Can found that racist too because Boggs wouldn't share.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Wade Boggs had this tradition where he ate a whole chicken before a game...Oil Can found that racist too because Boggs wouldn't share.

LOL!