"Obesity Rating" For All Americans

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Obesity Rating for Every American Must Be Included in Stimulus-Mandated Electronic Health Records, Says HHS

Thursday, July 15, 2010
By Matt Cover, Staff Writer

(CNSNews.com) â€" New federal regulations issued this week stipulate that the electronic health records--that all Americans are supposed to have by 2014 under the terms of the stimulus law that President Barack Obama signed last year--must record not only the traditional measures of height and weight, but also the Body Mass Index: a measure of obesity.

The obesity-rating regulation states that every American's electronic health record must: "Calculate body mass index. Automatically calculate and display body mass index (BMI) based on a patient's height and weight."Â

The law also requires that these electronic health records be available--with appropriate security measures--on a national exchange.

The new regulations are one of the first steps towards the government's goal of universal adoption of electronic health records (EHRs) by 2014, as outlined in the 2009 economic stimulus law. Specifically, the regulations issued on Tuesday by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Dr. David Blumenthal, the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, define the "meaningful use" of electronic records. Under the stimulus law, health care providers--including doctors and hospitals--must establish "meaningful use" of EHRs by 2014 in order to qualify for federal subsidies. After that, they will be subjected to penalties in the form of diminished Medicare and Medicaid payments for not establishing "meaningful use" of EHRs.

Section 3001 of the stimulus law says: "The National Coordinator shall, in consultation with other appropriate Federal agencies (including the National Institute of Standards and Technology), update the Federal Health IT Strategic Plan (developed as of June 3, 2008) to include specific objectives, milestones, and metrics with respect to the following: (i) The electronic exchange and use of health information and the enterprise integration of such information.‘‘(ii) The utilization of an electronic health record for each person in the United States by 2014."

Under this mandate in the stimulus law, Secretary Sebelius issued a regulation--developed by Dr. Blumenthal--that requires that all EHRs keep track of a person's Body Mass Index (BMI) score. Body Mass Index is a ratio between a person's weight and height, and is used to determine whether or not someone is overweight or obese. It is the preferred method of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for measuring obesity.

Michelle Obama has made dealing with the problem of childhood obesity the main theme of her term as First Lady.

U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin. (Photo by Penny Starr/CNSNews.com)
According to the CDC, "BMI provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems."Â

A person's BMI score is used as a tool to screen for obesity or excessive body fat that could lead to other health problems. While it does not actually measure body fat directly, according to CDC, the BMI scores generally correlate with a person's body fat percentage.

The new regulations also stipulate that the new electronic records be capable of sending public health data to state and federal health agencies such as HHS and CDC. The CDC, which calls American society "obesogenic" Ã¢â‚¬" meaning that American society itself promotes obesity â€" collects BMI scores from state health agencies every year to monitor obesity nationwide.

"Electronically record, retrieve, and transmit syndrome based public health surveillance information to public health agencies,"Â the regulations read.

With the spread of electronic health records, the CDC apparently will be able to collect such data more efficiently and with greater accuracy because the electronic record keeping systems can send the data automatically, eliminating the need for government â€" both state and federal â€" to keep, send, and process physical records.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/69436

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It's too bad that ridiculous BMI is worthless. I'm around 8-9 % body fat right now but it considers me overweight. It doesn't factor in muscle mass and is useless for a significant portion of the population.

waterbed

Mentor
for great mojority bmi of 20-25 is o.k so is not so bad formule.maybe 10% can be higher naturally without being overweight and some people that go often to the gym, but that are often not the people that need the bmi index.

waterbed

Mentor
average women have like 17% fat at a bmi of 20.85 and this is also seen as most attractive to most men, but most women models are 18 BMI with a flat body.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I lift weights every day and gained about 20lbs of muscle naturally. It took me over 2 years though. Only PED's can do magic.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I'm sure I'd be considered "morbidly obese" according to the BMI (which is BS). However, at 6'8, 325 my BF% is 18-19% or so...which is about average (or just above) for men. Even when I was holding 265-275 (at 11-12% BF...considered "lean" for men), the BMI would say I was overweight. I judge healthiness by key levels (BP, cholesterol, blood sugar) & BF%...the BMI is obsolete mule sqeeze!

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
I'm sure I'd be considered "morbidly obese" according to the BMI (which is BS). However, at 6'8, 325 my BF% is 18-19% or so...which is about average (or just above) for men. Even when I was holding 265-275 (at 11-12% BF...considered "lean" for men), the BMI would say I was overweight. I judge healthiness by key levels (BP, cholesterol, blood sugar) & BF%...the BMI is obsolete mule sqeeze!

Good point, Dixie! As long as you workout and keep your diet in check everything is okay!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WA33, very valid point partner. Early on in the training/work-out cycle, diet is 60-80% of initial results. As one progresses, the emphasis shifts towards training...but diet is still key. Speaking of which, I need to get mine more consistently clean. I usually eat pretty good during the week, but kinda "fall of the wagon" on the weekends. I'm aiming to ramp up both training & diet starting this upcoming week.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
WA33, very valid point partner. Early on in the training/work-out cycle, diet is 60-80% of initial results. As one progresses, the emphasis shifts towards training...but diet is still key. Speaking of which, I need to get mine more consistently clean. I usually eat pretty good during the week, but kinda "fall of the wagon" on the weekends. I'm aiming to ramp up both training & diet starting this upcoming week.

Good stuff! It's extremely hard. I hate my diet but I have no choice. How long can a person live off of vegetables and chicken breast???

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I eat a lot of chicken thighs. It's a lot more juicy than the breast of the chicken, and I doubt that it's harming my body much.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I like to bake it. I put paprika and other spices on it, and it tastes darn good. I usually eat it with green beans and mashed potatoes.

Paleocon

Guru
I definitely need to work out more to get my cardio back, but I do a couple things that keep my weight stable. First, I always eat breakfast. I think it get my metabolism kick-started earlier in the day and it also lessens the need for junk food later in the day. I usually eat cereal, but try to stick to cereals with high fiber and less sugars (Honey Nut Cheerios, Raisin Bran Crunch, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Honey Bunches of Oats, etc.) The other thing is I have cut caffeine out of my diet (I gave it up when I was a teenager, maybe 15 or 16). So no coffee or soda. I do drink sweet tea from time to time, but sweet tea is one of those Southern delights and too good to eliminate entirely. Other than an occasional taste for a good root beer, I don't miss soda at all (or pop as we midwesterners call it). I never did drink alcohol so no beer either.

I do still eat plenty of red meat (don't intend to stop either) although I go for baked fish and chicken too. I eat too much junk food still, but whenever I put on a few extra pounds or start feeling a little soft I cut it out and quickly get back to my normal tone and weight. I'm getting to the point where I will probably end up just cutting almost all of it out soon like I did with soda. It helps that I have always had a very high metabolism, but I have noticed that it has started to slow a bit. The biggest hurdle for me is making the time to stay active.