No Affirmative Action For Asian Athletes

NikoDuke

Mentor
Thought this article would be of interest to this forum. Highlights the special treatment Black athletes get and calls out the anti Whiteism as well.

"

No Affirmative Action for Asian Athletes​

Sports should remain a meritocracy, as should all other fields in America.​

SHELUYANG PENG
MAR 14, 2023

There’s this rule in the NFL called the Rooney Rule. The Rooney Rule states that all NFL teams must interview and consider racial minorities for head coaching jobs. So when former New England Patriots tackle Eugene Chung was interviewing for a coaching job, he thought that he could get an affirmative action boost due to being a racial minority.

But that’s not what happened.

When Chung brought up his race, the interviewer told him that he was “not the right minority that we’re looking for”. Chung lamented this statement, saying that “It's just when the Asians don't fit the narrative, that's where my stomach churns a little bit. For me, in this profession, I don't think I'm looked at as a minority.”

In reality, Asians are the ultimate minority in his profession. There are 1,696 current NFL players. Only one current player in the entire NFL, Atlanta Falcons kicker Younghoe Koo, has two biological Asian parents. A few other players are of mixed Asian descent, like Los Angeles Rams safety Taylor Rapp and Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray.

Society & Standpoint

SubscribeSign in

Read in the Substack app
Open app

No Affirmative Action for Asian Athletes​

Sports should remain a meritocracy, as should all other fields in America.​

SHELUYANG PENG
MAR 14, 2023

Not the right minority?
There’s this rule in the NFL called the Rooney Rule. The Rooney Rule states that all NFL teams must interview and consider racial minorities for head coaching jobs. So when former New England Patriots tackle Eugene Chung was interviewing for a coaching job, he thought that he could get an affirmative action boost due to being a racial minority.
But that’s not what happened.
When Chung brought up his race, the interviewer told him that he was “not the right minority that we’re looking for”. Chung lamented this statement, saying that “It's just when the Asians don't fit the narrative, that's where my stomach churns a little bit. For me, in this profession, I don't think I'm looked at as a minority.”
In reality, Asians are the ultimate minority in his profession. There are 1,696 current NFL players. Only one current player in the entire NFL, Atlanta Falcons kicker Younghoe Koo, has two biological Asian parents. A few other players are of mixed Asian descent, like Los Angeles Rams safety Taylor Rapp and Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray.

The National Football League’s acronym is often joked to have another meaning: Not For Long. Indeed, the NFL is Not For Long. Turns out it is also Not For Chung, Not For Xu, Not For Nguyen, Not For Kim, Not For Patel, and Not For Singh. Asians are almost nowhere to be found in the nation’s most popular game.

This is true of all major American sports. Asians are also near-invisible in the NBA and the NHL. The MLB is the only league out of the Big 4 to have a statistically significant number of Asian players: 2%, which is still way less than the proportion of Asian Americans as a whole. Not to mention that most Asian MLB players are imported from Japan and South Korea, including, of course, two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani.
The lack of Asians in American sports has profound implications for how Asian Americans are viewed in this country. In a heavily politically polarized America, sports are one of the few areas where Americans of all races can sit back and cheer for people based on team instead of by political affiliation or race. The lack of Asian players essentially locks Asians out of being seen as real Americans—a perception that Asian Americans have been trying to eradicate for centuries. The dearth of Asian players also makes Asians seem weak and unathletic—another stereotype that we’ve been challenging for a long time.

Yet despite all this, I do not want affirmative action for Asian American athletes. I do not want Asian players to get into sports leagues with lower standards. I do not want affirmative action to exist for any race in any field.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The National Football League’s acronym is often joked to have another meaning: Not For Long. Indeed, the NFL is Not For Long. Turns out it is also Not For Chung, Not For Xu, Not For Nguyen, Not For Kim, Not For Patel, and Not For Singh. Asians are almost nowhere to be found in the nation’s most popular game.

This is true of all major American sports. Asians are also near-invisible in the NBA and the NHL. The MLB is the only league out of the Big 4 to have a statistically significant number of Asian players: 2%, which is still way less than the proportion of Asian Americans as a whole. Not to mention that most Asian MLB players are imported from Japan and South Korea, including, of course, two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani.
The lack of Asians in American sports has profound implications for how Asian Americans are viewed in this country. In a heavily politically polarized America, sports are one of the few areas where Americans of all races can sit back and cheer for people based on team instead of by political affiliation or race. The lack of Asian players essentially locks Asians out of being seen as real Americans—a perception that Asian Americans have been trying to eradicate for centuries. The dearth of Asian players also makes Asians seem weak and unathletic—another stereotype that we’ve been challenging for a long time.

Yet despite all this, I do not want affirmative action for Asian American athletes. I do not want Asian players to get into sports leagues with lower standards. I do not want affirmative action to exist for any race in any field.

Is his point that Asians are deliberately discriminated against in sports as Whites are, that if there was a theoretical level playing field, Asians would be higher than 2% or so, closer to their 7.3% of the U.S. population? If so he presents zero evidence for it beyond Eugene Chung allegedly being told he didn't qualify to coach under the Rooney Rule. The popularity of Eurasian golfers like Rickie Fowler and Xander Schauffele -- and Tiger Woods for that matter even though his three-fourths Eurasian heritage has always been trumped by his African genes -- is genuine evidence that Asians aren't deliberately discriminated against. The LPGA is now dominated by Orientals and they are respected and treated as well as the dwindling number of White lady golfers. Jason Robertson of the Dallas Stars is half Filipino and had a huge 2022-'23 season as far as goal scoring and ESPN and their affiliated networks fixated on showing him during the just completed playoffs (even though he played poorly for most of them).

Another problem when "Asians" are lumped together as a group or race, is that like Hispanics they are not a race. Do Indians look even remotely like Chinese? Yet both are "Asians" under the current lexicon. Many Orientals are good at guessing what country other Orientals are from, much the way some Whites here can tell if someone is obviously Italian, Irish, Polish, German, etc.

Indians have close to zero representation in pro sports yet in a breathtaking short amount of time have become the new professional overclass in the U.S. If they were good athletes they would be more obvious in pro sports, too. Although there are many outstanding Oriental athletes, as the Winter and Summer Olympics always convincingly show, they are rarely good enough at the present time to excel in football, basketball and hockey. Part of the reason is they are generally smaller, but that has been changing in recent generations. I have no doubt their representation will grow over time and they will be treated fairly and celebrated when they are stars.

NikoDuke

Mentor
My belief is that he has a few points.
1) Asians don't qualify as a minority and don't get to take advantage of affirmative action in the NFL.
2) He believes pro sports at the player level is a meritocracy.
3) He wants society as a whole to mirror the meritocracy on pro sports.

I don't agree with any of his above points but, I do think his article helps our cause because it publicly acknowledges that there is discrimination on pro sports, albeit at the managerial level. Not hard to then take it one step further to discrimination on the field. Not hard to then shift the discussion to Whites.

I don't think sports are a meritocracy and I believe that Asians, like Whites are treated unfavourably from minor sports up onwards. Hockey and baseball maybe are the sports where their heritage doesn't work against them. But in the NFL/NBA it does as those sports have so heavily bought into the Black athletic superiority myth. But, unlike the case where White athletes are actively and enthusiastically marginalized, Asians are just overlooked due to the focus on athletes that fit the narrative. There doesn't seem to the hate on for Asians that there is for Whites.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Indians have close to zero representation in pro sports yet in a breathtaking short amount of time have become the new professional overclass in the U.S. If they were good athletes they would be more obvious in pro sports, too. Although there are many outstanding Oriental athletes, as the Winter and Summer Olympics always convincingly show, they are rarely good enough at the present time to excel in football, basketball and hockey. Part of the reason is they are generally smaller, but that has been changing in recent generations. I have no doubt their representation will grow over time and they will be treated fairly and celebrated when they are stars.
Not to go off on a tangent, but the racial group that occupies the subcontinent (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh) are the least athletic in the world. This is empirically shown by their minuscule amount of medals in the Olympics and their lack of athletes in any of the global sports other than cricket. They number somewhere around 1.8 or 1.9 billion people, so to be outperformed so thoroughly by a country like say Norway (5.4 million) is pathetic. That huge number of people doesn’t even factor in the diaspora of “south Asians” in the Americas, UK or Africa.

Their representation in American sports is right where it should be. Statistically zero.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Not to go off on a tangent, but the racial group that occupies the subcontinent (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh) are the least athletic in the world. This is empirically shown by their minuscule amount of medals in the Olympics and their lack of athletes in any of the global sports other than cricket. They number somewhere around 1.8 or 1.9 billion people, so to be outperformed so thoroughly by a country like say Norway (5.4 million) is pathetic. That huge number of people doesn’t even factor in the diaspora of “south Asians” in the Americas, UK or Africa.

Their representation in American sports is right where it should be. Statistically zero.
And yet, they are pretty good at cricket. A game which does require a fair amount of hand eye coordination.

Either way the idea that Asians are discriminated against in America is laughable.

Reminds me of a guy I went to high school with who was Indian and annoyed that he couldn’t get special treatment( or funds )on college admissions 30 years ago.

I remember laughing at him and being like dude you have more money than my family and I am going to get nothing. Go whine elsewhere

Whiteathlete333

Hall of Famer

Don’t they play some really strange sports like pickle ball?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A small but noticeable influx of Indians can be seen of late on both the PGA and LPGA tours. That seems to be the only popular U.S. sport any can be found in.

NikoDuke

Mentor
South Asians aren't prominent ihn American sports because for the most part , they don't really focus on sports. Even cricket which is the top sport in most South Asian nations, doesn't have the minor sports infrastructure that baseball or football in the US does. Even Olympics arent a big deal in India or Pakistan. Sports culturally aren't a huge priority.

That's the main reason for their low participation in American sports. They just don't prioritize sports; they prioritize academics and it shows. They have become very prominent in national Math competitions, Spelling Bees, business and now of late politics. Also of note Indians control over 50 % of the hotel industry in the US

Last edited:

SneakyQuick

Mentor
South Asians aren't prominent ihn American sports because for the most part , they don't really focus on sports. Even cricket which is the top sport in most South Asian nations, doesn't have the minor sports infrastructure that baseball or football in the US does. Even Olympics arent a big deal in India or Pakistan. Sports culturally aren't a huge priority.

That's the main reason for their low participation in American sports. They just don't prioritize sports; they prioritize academics and it shows. They have become very prominent in national Math competitions, Spelling Bees, business and now of late politics. Also of note Indians control over 50 % of the hotel industry in the US
I can see them as being strong in baseball if they wanted to be but I doubt most do. You’re right that culturally sports simply don’t rank for most Indian families in America.

They are very heavily represented in math heavy fields like securities trading though for sure.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I can see them as being strong in baseball if they wanted to be but I doubt most do. You’re right that culturally sports simply don’t rank for most Indian families in America.

They are very heavily represented in math heavy fields like securities trading though for sure.
A tribesman (always right!) tried to diversify baseball by providing opportunities for Indian cricketers. Bernstein created a contest show called Million Dollar Arm, in which the winner(s) received a cash prize and were signed to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Of course woke Disney even made a movie about these “pioneers” in 2014.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Bernstein#Reality_contest

Spoiler alert. Neither prospect ever came close to making it to the bigs.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A tribesman (always right!) tried to diversify baseball by providing opportunities for Indian cricketers. Bernstein created a contest show called Million Dollar Arm, in which the winner(s) received a cash prize and were signed to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Of course woke Disney even made a movie about these “pioneers” in 2014.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Bernstein#Reality_contest

Spoiler alert. Neither prospect ever came close to making it to the bigs.
Good Old Disney destroying American Familes for a Century!

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I’m not suggesting they’d kill it, but given how strong Indian subcontinent cricket is I’d have to think there is some transferable skill there.

Doesn’t affect me much either way, just wouldn’t stun me if they were decent at baseball

NikoDuke

Mentor
I’m not suggesting they’d kill it, but given how strong Indian subcontinent cricket is I’d have to think there is some transferable skill there.

Doesn’t affect me much either way, just wouldn’t stun me if they were decent at baseball
If South Asians took up baseball in a significant way then, there would certainly be some decent players from that group.

It's like saying US Whites wouldn't be good at ping pong just because we don't play it in a significant fashion

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Ironically, I just read an article yesterday that an Indian American is one of the top 15 or so prospects for upcoming MLB draft. The Floridian spent his summers in India playing cricket. I’m sure they’ll be plenty more news on this guy once he’s drafted as the corporate sports media loves these non-White “trailblazers” to wax poetic over.

chris371

Mentor
Asian males are stigmatized as having small genitals and being physically weak. I feel sorry for those that suffer as a result. I feel sorry for any male that is short. I guess this is because I myself am 6ft 5, i have no problems in that department (height privelige?) ;)