NFL Practice Squads

Truthteller

Mentor
Folks, in the week 10 thread I tried to post a "All-Star team" of white defensive playerscurrently on PSquads and wondered if they could do better than Dan Snyder's sorry group of defenders@ Vick and the Eagles?

Anyway, after finding a site that updates practice squads**, I noticed how Caste-like practice squads are. If you take out the QB's, OL's, TE's & FB's, white athletes are almost nowhere to be found. Below is the numbers I got. They might not be perfect because I don't know all these players and did not look up every name that I wasn't 100% sure about. But I think I'm very close:

* Total Number of Whites on PSquads is about 74. Doing quick math, that should come out to about 29%, which is almost the exact same as the percentage of whites on NFL teams' 53 man rosters -- if you discount kickers, punters and longsnappers who are a must carry on NFL rosters, but rare for PSquads.

*Number of White Offensive Lineman is about 37. If these numbers are accurate, it would mean 50% of white PSquaders play only 5 of the 22 positions on the field.

*Number of white TE's/FB's is about 11. In contrast, I count 19 non-white TE's/FB's, so it looks like even these once relatively "white friendly jobs" are now dwindling.

*While whites are allowed to play the O-Line, very few have PSquad jobs on the D-Line. I count less than five -- two on Denver. Two former college star DL'sfrom big time schools(Bryan Mattison and Bobby Greenwood) are listed as OL's now. Perhaps they aren't fat enough to play DL?

*Only 3 white DB's. But oddly enough, 2are CB's --Pete Ittersagen & Ross Ventrone

*No white RB's. Even the FB's are mostly ex-TE's that will rarely touch the ball, let alone get a chance to carry it in games. So while Hillis, Woodhead and some others might give CF followershope that "change will come", no Jake Sharpe typesshow a different scenario?

*Before looking at this, I thought there might be a small rise in white WR's due to the"Welker Effect", as even some Caste teams are now willing to accept a few white slot guys? But it doesn't really appear to be the case: I count only five -- Andy Strickland (Atl); Samuel Giguere (NYG); Logan Payne (NYJ); Tyler Grisham (Pitt); Lance Long & Kevin Jurovich (SF)

Final Thoughts: It's stunning how the racial breakdown of practice squads, at every position, is similar to that of teams 53 man rosters. What's even more surprising, is how these numbers (29 to 30%, excluding PK, P & LS) have held since the early 1990's. It's almost like there is a quota that franchises, collectively, have to adhere to. One would think, all things equal, you'd have someyears where whites makeup, for example,38% of rosters....then perhaps it drops a bit(ebb and flow?). Never happens, even if some teamgo from white friendly to not (Buffalo &Jacksonville) or vice versa (Green Bay, Patriots)from one decade to another.

** http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2010/09/2010-nfl-practice-squads.html

white is right

Hall of Famer
Actually the numbers have gotten worse since the early 90's. If you ever can get your hands on old games from that time period you will see the rosters of teams were close to 40 percent White. Since then they have gone down a further 10 percent. Since the speed positions were virtually all black, the decline of White players from that period has been in the power positions and even quarterback. Edited by: white is right