NCAA Hoops coverage

sunshine

Mentor
The coverage of the tourney has been dreadful. Topping the list is Len Elmore. He continues to belittle the athleticism of white players and over praise the athleticism of black players. To be honest I believe he is masking his hatred of whites using his color commentary as a shield. I find him repulsive. Billy Packer has not been much better. And overall the media has once again turned the tournament into a playform to hype black quickness etc. and belittle white quickness etc..I am disgusted at this point and often wonder why do I put up with it year after year. The broader question is why do fans put up with it ? It seems to me some people get off on the idea of whites being made fun of every five seconds.

speedster

Mentor
I could not agree with you more,sunshine.During the secound round Vermont game his constant references to athleticism got so bad,I ended up pressing mute.I only was able to see the last few minutes of the most recent West Virginia game,but again he was talking athleticism and again I muted.He is totally saying,in his way,that the black player is superior.He's trying to disguies it,but he's not fooling me and obviously not you either.Len Elmore is just another in a long line of anti-white commentators.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wonder if Len would argue that white announcers are less talented than black announcers?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I have more and more respect for Jim Nantz's announcing. He seems to be as close to objective and measured in his praise of black and white athletes as anyone.

Is it just me or does this tournament get noticeably more media hype every year? I would say that "March Madness" is now the number two most hyped sports event in America after the Super Bowl.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think your right Don, that's all you hear about after black history month is over.

bigunreal

Mentor
It seems like every year recently, a team with lots of white players
comes out of nowhere to pull off a few early round upsets. After
sucking me in each time, they inevitably lose before making it to the
Final Four. I stopped watching tournament games for many years, from
about the late '80s to the late '90s, so the first example of this new
trend I remember is Gonzaga, when they made it to the Elite Eight
before bowing out (I think it was around 2000). This year, we have had
more than one team that fit this description, most notably West
Virginia and Vermont. Despite providing some excitement for us early
on, we can all now sit back and "enjoy" a Final Four full of all-black
teams that have all been there plenty of times before. Louisville.
North Carolina. Kentucky. Does the 4th really matter? Michigan State
and Wisconsin each play a couple of white players, but neither really
does if for me. Fun, fun, fun.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Gonzaga has become a blacker team too, bigunreal, as we have been discussing in another thread. They have not had any better seasons either. I understand your feelings about the final four. I haven't watched a final four since 1992, when Laettner was on fire as usual.

speedster

Mentor
They are at the half in the North Carolina-Wisconsin game and the score is tied at 44.I must say the Badgers look pretty white to me.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
They are the whitest team left in the Tournament.

JD074

Master
It's funny to hear the differences between the black play by
play announcers and the black color commentators. The
former was probably a middle class suburban kid, went to
college/ broadcasting school, and can speak coherent English.
Just by hearing his voice one can't even tell that he's black.
And the latter is a "dumb jock" with a thick accent, and who
couldn't be articulate if his life depended on it.

speedster

Mentor
Gus Johnson who does the play-by-play is probably my favourite,he speaks well,knows the game and you can tell he's a big fan of the game because of how excited he can get during the game and his excitement rubs off and is legitimate unlike some boneheads out there.I like when someone makes a good shot and hits nothing but net and Gus says"pure".Cool.