NBA history site ?

Bart

Hall of Famer
Because someone brought up the name of Bill Lainbeer it made me curious about his stats. He was actually quite good a tremendous rebounder and shooter. But I noticed that even with ALL-TIME white greats such as Bob Pettit many of their bios would indicate theywereclods barely able to walk without falling over. It's unbelievable. Examples below. These are supposed to be tributes?

Dan Issel initially didn't seem to have the physical abilities[/B] required for stardom in the NBA. He wasn't particularly quick on his feet, he wasn't that strong, and he didn't have a great vertical leap. Because he wasn't big enough or strong enough to go toe-to-toe with most of the league's centers, he did his damage with a smooth, accurate outside shot and by outrunning his counterparts on the floor. He had an awkward but effective head fake, a clumsy but capable drive to the hoop, and an incredible work ethic Bart: Come on now...an awkward but effective head fake...clumsy but capable drive to the basket? Who writes this stuff?

When Bob Pettit came out of college in 1954, no one thought he was talented enough to make it as a professional basketball player. Although he had been a prolific scorer at Louisiana State University, the tall, thin forward was deemed too slight at 200 pounds to survive the pounding of an NBA season. However, the scouts failed to factor in Pettit's willingness to work harder than anyone else on the court in order to succeed. And succeed he did

In 14 bruising NBA seasons Bill Laimbeer made up for his minuscule vertical leap, slow feet, and sluggishness by becoming a master of posturing, muscling, and anticipating -- plus fomenting trouble, pretending to be fouled, and drawing his opponents' ire. Laimbeer was one of the most notorious players ever to throw an elbow, thrust a hip, or feign being fouled. Certainly, no player was ever showered with more boos or unflattering nicknames. Laimbeer was called "the prince of darkness," "a street thug," "an ax murderer," and "His Heinous." Bart:: My god, he is the most evil talentless beast who ever lived!

http://www.nba.com/history/players/index.htmlhttp://www.nba.com/history/players/index.html

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's another example of how history is continuously rewritten to fit current ideology, in this case that whites are inferior athletes and real sports competition didn't begin until blacks and "latinos" came along to take their rightful place in the front of the bus.

I was just reading something today about how old baseball records are meaningless because white players didn't have to face black pitchers. Last year only one of the top fifty starting pitchers in MLB was an "African American." It's like saying hockey scoring records were meaningless until Grant Fuhr came along. I can't begin to keep count of how many times I come across this same line about baseball pre-integration. It's repeated so often, like so many other mantras in this day and age, that it's automatically accepted and believed because it's not allowed to be contradicted.

I was watching part of the Colts-Raiders playoff game from '77 on ESPN Classic the other night. Baltimore's defense was predominantly white. Bruce Laird, a Colts safety, made a great anticipatory play and picked off a Kenny Stabler pass and ran it in 60 yards for a score. Then they cut to an interview with present day Stabler: "Bruce Laird wasn't fast or athletic and he wasn't very big. It didn't seem like he belonged on the field, but he was crafty and made a smart play," or words to that effect. He knew what he was supposed to say and applied the Caste System propaganda of today retroactively to that time period, when whites were still allowed to run and catch the ball and play defensive back.

I surfed back to that game a little later on, just in time to see Laird make another interception. He was quite the overachiever that day!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It really is sickening what these guys do. It self-hate at it's worst. I don't understand the mentality at all. You can't ignore what those guys did, even with their stupid words.

Burts

Don, I was at that '77 Colts-Raiders playoff game, and it was a great one. I guess the Colts braintrust wasn't aware of the fact that Bruce Laird wasn't fast, because he was used early in his career as a kick returner. Also, the fastest player on that team, who was injured and didn't play, was receiver Roger Carr, a white guy.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Burts, I'm sure that would have been a great game to see in person. The atmosphere for a playoff game in any pro sport is always athrill to experience. A great game makes it that much better.

The Raiders had Mark van Eeghen as their ball carrier in that game of course. He led the AFC in rushing yards in '77, the last white man to lead either conference in that department. Watching the replay of that gameit was obvious he would be a topnotch running back today, and just as obvious that he wouldn't be allowed the chance.

I saw Bob Pettit play on TV many times. He had a beautiful jump shot and was a phemomenal offensive rebounder. When the St. Louis Hawks beat the Celtics in the 1958 NBA playoffs, Pettit scored the last 15 or so points (50 for the game, I believe) for the Hawks in a 110-109 victory. It may still be the best individual performance in a deciding playoff game, and was the only playoff series Red Auerbach lost during their winning streak. When the Hawks took the Celtics to seven games in 1957, Pettit had played just as well. Along with the Celtics, Pettit's Hawks put the NBA in the top tier of American sports.

The NBA was becoming heavily black during the 60s, andPettit averaged around 30 a game during this period. I saw him score a lot of points in TV games against Russell and Chamberlain. Ask anybody who followed the NBA in the early 60s. He was a class act and played his best when it counted the most.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bob Pettit is another name which has been phased out. People still talk often of Elgin Baylor but but no one remembers Pettit who was sensational.Years ago I heard Bill Russel say that Pettit absolutely was one of the best forwards to ever play the game.