MVP- Morneau

Bart

Hall of Famer
I was listening to the Dan Patrick show and heard the news of Justin Morneau winning the MVP. Keith Olbermann said he was shocked that Jeter didn't win.He downplayed the contribution made to to the Twins by Morneau, saying he didn't have spectacular numbers as did Ryan Howardof the NL who hit 24 more homers than he.

I thought that was a weird comparison. After all, Jeter hit 44 fewer homers than Howard. So, in checking the stats between the two, I was surprised to see that Jeter's offensive stats were not so spectacular either. His BA was higher but his power stats were far less impressive than Morneau's.

Yahoo Sorts:Morneau hit .321 with 34 homers and 130 RBIs, helping the Twins win the AL Central for the fourth time in five years. Jeter batted .344 with 14 homers and 97 RBIs, finishing three points behind Mauer, who became the first catcher to win an AL batting title.

Bunnyman

Guru
They are always going to complain when a white guy wins. They did it to Steve Nash and Brian Urlacher as well. When a black wins they are all smiles as everything is right in their (gay) fantasy world.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Did anyone catch the public complaining of Albert Pujols when he didn't receive the NL MVP? That, plus his dismal performance in the Series, may tarnish his image as the "noble hispanic" superstar.

Congrats to Morneau and Howard.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Jeter bats in the #2 spot for the Yankees and had 92 RBIs. That's pretty impressive!

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bear-Arms said:
Jeter bats in the #2 spot for the Yankees and had 92 RBIs. That's pretty impressive!

Batting second in the Yankee line up isn't too bad.He had more than 600 at batsand because of the DH in the AL, never had to worry about pitchers killing rallies later in the game. The lower half of the Yank's lineup aint bad and Damon hit in front of him, so all in all not a bad situation.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Morneau is following up his AL MVP 2006 season with anotherhuge year. His average is down from last year at .278 so far, but he has 20 home runs and 56 RBIs. His HR total is second highest in the AL.

GWTJ

Mentor
There are quite a few surprises so far in MLB. White pitchers are really dominating though, more than usual it seems. Plus there are some new white faces at or near the top of the pitching charts.

Don, how's the fantasy baseball going so far? An all white team could be a powerhouse in baseball.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
My team's 9-2 so far, beginner's luck lol.

C: Johnny Estrada

1B: Konerko

2B: Brian Roberts

SS: Reyes

3B: David Wright

OF: V. Guerrero

OF: Alex Rios

OF: Chone Figgins

U: Hunter Pence, Mark Teahan and Adam LaRoche

SP: Smoltz, D. Lowe, Bonderman, G. Maddux

Closers: Putz, F. Cordero, K. Gregg, Accardo

How is yours doing, GWTJ?Edited by: Don Wassall

GWTJ

Mentor
I actually dropped out of the fantasy baseball league I had been in for four years. The league did not have weekly matchups so it came down to who had the better stats at the end of the year. It was sort of like the MLB season, once you get too far behind you can never catch up. I like the way the football is done, with weekly matchups. You surprised me when you posted a won-loss record for your baseball league. I didn't know there were baseball leagues like that.

I also found baseball to be very much a crapshoot. A first time rookie could win as easily as the most diligent veteran. Seeing as it was $300.00 to own a team, I bagged it and made the wife happy at the same time.
smiley2.gif

I like your team, especially the pitching staff. I love Putz, way underrated.
Edited by: GWTJ

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Fantasy baseball is a nice little diversion during the long football off-season. With H2H competition there's a score to check every day, which I like.

More importantly it's been a good way for me to get to know most of the players again.

GWTJ

Mentor
Morneau taken out of the stadium on a stretcher after a home plate collision. They said he would probably miss a few games but will be fine.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The caste media has gone into full-scale Albert Pujols worshipping mode this season. Pujols is trying to become the first player in 42 years to win the Triple Crown. But a look at the league leaders in the American League shows Justin Morneau first in RBIs, tied for second in HRs, and seventh in batting. (He also leads in total bases.) In other words, he's contending for the Triple Crown, but there hasn't been a peep from the media about it. Surprise, surprise.

Winning the batting title isn't likely, but at leastMorneau ought to be included with Pujols in allthe conversation about the Triple Crown.