Mountain West white starters down 13

referendum

Mentor
Well, 2007 was an amazing year for the Mountain West conference with Air Force starting a virtually all-white team, and BYU and Col State near that level. This year, those schools all took it down a notch, though still registering some great white starter numbers.
Assuming New Mexico's numbers are about the same, this year the Mountain West teams will field about 105 white starters vs. last years awesome 118. Offensive non-linemen starters also goes down, from 29 to 26 though we do have 7 white WR's.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
referendum, since you didn't mention it, I thought I would ask you if you took into account the polynesian/pacific islanders that I/we counted last year but not this year? Just curious if that was the real reason for the drop versus an actual drop in the number of truly white starters conference wide.

referendum

Mentor
Good question Col. I specifically excluded Polynesians/Pac Islanders in each year so unfortunately drop off is real. I'm not really suprised at the drop off as keeping teams in the high teens to 22 in terms of white starters is amazing. Still, I wish it was also as hard to keep the numbers of white starters SEC style low as it is to keep it Air Force high.