More Steroids

C Darwin

Mentor
What will be the result of this?
LA Times

Clemens Is Named in Drug Affidavit
The star pitcher and five other players used performance-enhancers, according to a former teammate who took steroids, prosecutors say.
By Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer
October 1, 2006

Roger Clemens, one of professional baseball's most durable and successful pitchers, is among six players allegedly linked to performance-enhancing drugs by a former teammate, The Times has learned. The names had been blacked out in an affidavit filed in federal court.

Others whose identities had been concealed include Clemens' fellow Houston Astros pitcher Andy Pettitte and former American League most valuable player Miguel Tejada of the Baltimore Orioles.

The discovery ends four months of speculation surrounding the possible identities of Major League Baseball figures whose names were redacted from the search warrant affidavit filed in Phoenix on May 31. The document was based on statements allegedly made to federal agents by pitcher Jason Grimsley, who has since retired.

According to the affidavit, Grimsley told investigators that Clemens "used athletic performance-enhancing drugs." He also allegedly said Tejada used anabolic steroids.

Clemens and Pettitte did not respond to requests for comment made Saturday through their agents and the Astros. Tejada had previously declined to be interviewed.

Grimsley was questioned by investigators after he allegedly received an illegal shipment of human growth hormone, or HGH. The shipment was tracked to his Scottsdale, Ariz., home by a task force of federal agents investigating drug use in professional baseball, the affidavit said.

For a time, Grimsley secretly cooperated with investigators, they said, but stopped after retaining a lawyer.

According to the 20-page search warrant affidavit, signed by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky, Grimsley told investigators he obtained amphetamines, anabolic steroids and human growth hormone from someone recommended to him by, a source said, former Yankees trainer Brian McNamee. McNamee is a personal strength coach for Clemens and Pettitte.

The former team trainer did not return several messages left with his wife and on his answering machine.

The affidavit also alleges that Grimsley told federal agents that former Orioles teammates Tejada, Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons "took anabolic steroids." Roberts was the American League's all-star second baseman in 2005 when Grimsley was an Oriole.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I have noticed that on several other sports boards, most notably pro-black ones, that Roger Clemens has always been labeled by them as a steroid user. They often used it to counter the Bonds allegations. I came across this several times in "castefootball" searches. Clemens is the poster boy for dominant white pitchers as Bonds was the poster boy for black power hitters.

Both players have had the same strange career runs, ie. seemingly getting better as they got older. Wouldn't be surprised if Clemens has used something, he just doesn't seem to ever age as far as his pitching skills.

As a guy thats getting older myself I have long wondered about these athletes that get better as they age while I have trouble getting up in the morning
smiley36.gif

Maybe I should get some of that stuff myself!
smiley2.gif

Anyway Clemens, Armstrong, McGuire. Who's next Wariner and Klitschko?

white is right

Hall of Famer
I always knew he used. He trains too hard for an old athlete. If he were clean he would break down. Whatever I don't care too much unless the player is a jackass and lies about it like Bonds, Armstrong and Raphy....
smiley5.gif
Edited by: white is right

Bear-Arms

Mentor
"What will be the result of this?"

I think the FBI will be looking into it, but like the Bonds case they will find nothing. They needed to look into this about 10 years ago. You're not going to find much evidence now. Well, unless they're like Grimsley and mail the stuff straight to their home.

"Whatever I don't care too much unless the player is a jackass and lies about it like Bonds"

Clemens already denied the use of steroids.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The rumors were put to rest today.They said that the article was false and neither Clemens or Pettite had ever used anything.I'm glad about that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Clemens had a four-year blip in the middle of his very long career where he struggled (from '93-'96), but other than that he has been a model of consistent excellence and dominance from the time he first pitched for the Red Sox. It's easy to tell when Bonds began to juice by looking at his stats, but the same can't be said of Clemens.

Clemens has maintained a grueling training regimen for a number of years and, like another great Texas pitcher, Nolan Ryan, his arm has been incredibly durable. It's possible he used steroids but unlike with Bonds and others, clear evidence would be needed. I think a lot of the criticism of Clemens is rooted in jealousy. After all, whites just aren't supposed to dominate any sports anymore in which there are black stars.