MLB Playoffs

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I'm sorry, but I had to root for the White Sox here. The Astros feature players that are some of the worst portrayals of white atheletes I can think of. Clemens, Berkman, Biggio, and Bagwell are all known as dirty players, and I for one am not sad that they bounced 4 games to none in the world series. Maybe I'm just bitter that they beat the Braves two years in a row, but seeing all those losers in that stadium built with dirty money (Enron, Haliburton, thank you George Wetback Bush) with their heads hanging low. I felt it was poetic justiceEdited by: Lance Alworth

Bart

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
The Astros feature players that are some of the worst portrayals of white atheletes I can think of. Clemens, Berkman, Biggio, and Bagwell are all known as dirty players,

Other than Clemens firing the broken bat past Piazza, not at him,I haven't heard anything about these players.

Charlie

Guru
Does the baseball commissioner have authority over a retractable roof? Couldn't the Minute Maid facility manager have closed it and then claimed he lost the key to open it again? Could Bush Sr. or Babs have intervened?

Dye as MVP seems odd. The only non-Hispanic Black player to appear in the series (or am I wrong about that?). Who does the voting? Sure, he hit that grand slam home run, and made all those great stops at third, and called four smart games behind the plate, but still I wonder.

I didn't get the Latino Legends Team thing. I know GM is in trouble (though GM exchange-traded bonds are nice) and having Chevrolet sponsor the thing could sell a few cars to Hispanics. But 25 million U.S. Hispanics are Mexican, and Fernando Valenzuela was the only Mexican on the Team. (GM's head of design is a Howard University graduate, meaning what I couldn't say.)

Could only Hispanics vote for the team? Assuming so it appears Mexicans didn't cast many of the 1,600,000 votes, or just didn't have many of their carnales to vote for. Just three Mexicans (Valenzuela, Lefty Gomez and Vinny Castilla) were among the 60 top vote getters. (Ted Williams' mother was Basque, which some media people recently confused with Mexican.)

Do Mexicans in America really get that happy about Dominicans and Puerto Ricans? That they have to go out and buy a Chevy? Maybe Uribe should have been MVP. (General Santa Ana could have used Edward James Olmos at San Jacinto. Would've won. Then Texas would still be a part of Mexico and there wouldn't be a need for a Latino team doo-dad.)

One of the Fox announcers gleefully announced 24% of MLB is Hispanic, and 40% of the minor leagues. Sounds like a spicey future until one remembers the 40% figure is due to all the White players in college programs (which I understand is about equal to AA ball).

Joe Morgan had a good line about Crede. "They need to pick on someone other than Brooks Robinson over there at third."