Marcin Gortat -- Live Body like Pau Gasol

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT6uHBNF9y8

If he played more minutes, he'd be one of the top shot-blockers in the league!

Very good rebounder with excellent hands.

With his length, he could very well be a true center.

Eastern Euro Dream Team:

Center -- Marcin Gortat
Power Forward -- Andris Biedrins
Small Forward -- AK-47?
Shooting Guard -- Goran Dragic
Point Guard -- ??

Post your Dream Team!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
All Eastern Euro Squad

PG - Sasha Vujacic
SG - Peja Stojakovic
SF - A. Kirilenko
PF - Andris Biedrins
C - Z. Ilgauskas

Bench

PG - Beno Udrih
SG - Sasha Pavlovic
SF - Linas Kleiza
PF - Vlad Radmonovic
C - Marcin Gortat

I did not include Turkey (Hedo and Okur would have both been starters in that case).

I think my starters would be a great blend of shooting and defense. I'm a little shaky on Vujacic handling the ball. The 2nd unit would provide great scoring 1-4 and tough D from Gortat.

For kicks: Darko Milicic (11th man) and Roko Ukic (12th man)

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
PhillyBirds said:
Freethinker said:
I'm a little shaky on Vujacic handling the ball.

How about Goran Dragic of the Suns? He spells Nash every once in a while and may very well be his successor.

I considered Dragic. It was a toss up between him and Ukic for the final spot on my fantasy squad. Since I have not seen either guy play much I was just going off of some scouting reports and either guy would probably be interchangeable at this point in their NBA careers.

That being said, I still think Vujacic is far more skilled at this point and could handle the pressure seeing how he has played well in big games for the very talented Lakers squad.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Freethinker,

With Peja as your SG, is it possible that your first unit is too tall and could lack quickness?

How will you defend against a team that runs up-and-down the court? Just wondering..

Edited by: Deadlift

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
Freethinker,

With Peja as your SG, is it possible that your first unit is too tall and could lack quickness?

How will you defend against a team that runs up-and-down the court? Just wondering..

Yes, that would definitely be a huge concern. I just don't see any better options. My teams strength would be its forwards and centers. Weakness the guards. I still think this team could score inside and out and compete defensively at the other 4 positions.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I think Wally World would count as Eastern Euro by his surname.

Also I think Free-thinkers team would be fine; they could use AK-47 to guard the SG. Peja's a solid defender against SFs, although I'd worry big-time about Lebron, but Peja would be over-matched guarding the elite SGs like Kobe, Brandon Roy, Ray Allen etc. But Free-thinker would also have Biedrins to clean up garbage shots and he is an athletic freak just like AK-47. Sasha Vujacic I hear is a good defender also for the PG position; he's found a Bruce Bowen type nitch in the league.

Gortat looks really long and athletic for the Magic; they need to get him and Redick more minutes. They should both be in the top 7 or 8 in the rotation and currently are not.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Here's a very athletic play by the Polish Hammer who Dwight Howard has very high regard for. This guy would start for basically any team in the league that doesn't have a top 5 Center like the Magic.

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Go rtat-drops-The-Polish-Hammer-on-two-S;_ylt=AtYEpyhmU77.acyB6 .DrnUW8vLYF?urn=nba,160629[/url]

And some high compliments in the comment section:

Mark E
3. Posted by Mark E Fri May 01, 2009 12:34 pm EDT
Noboby really knows about Gortat outside of Magic fans and, of course, Poland, but he would be a starting center on most teams. He's a double double guy, 7' tall, can shoot the midrange jumper and can still dunk from the foul line. Pound for pound, I think he would give Dwight a pretty good challenge for athleticism.

A-Bear
10. Posted by A-Bear Fri May 01, 2009 1:46 pm EDT
Gortat is an incredible player. he hustles more than any player on our team. Its good to know were going to be able to count on him for the next few years, but he is going to score some money after that.

A-Bear
11. Posted by A-Bear Fri May 01, 2009 1:47 pm EDT
Expect him to play a larger role, even in Van Gundy's scheme if he tries to play Howard and Gortat, ala' Robinson and Duncan, which has worked well for them this season already.

Some Polish pride in some comments as well! I like seeing people have pride in their race! I'm proud to be Irish- and of course we can name Sam McGuffie as one of ours!
smiley32.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Blue Devils said:

Would love to see the Mavs sign this guy. Dirk is still in his prime and Cuban needs to start spending his money on free agents(lots of salary cap room) the next two seasons to finally get the Mavs back in title contention. He would be such a huge upgrade over Dampier.

guest301

Hall of Famer
That's a big pay raise for Gortat from $800,000 to $5.8 million plus he will likely start for Dallas.Edited by: guest301

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
good news!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Poor Dirk. The offer was matched by the Magic. He is staying in Orlando. Unless they can make a run for David Lee at the last minute, the Mavs are stuck in neutral. I feel so bad for Nowitzki. He needs some help.

white lightning said:
Poor Dirk. The offer was matched by the Magic. He is staying in Orlando. Unless they can make a run for David Lee at the last minute, the Mavs are stuck in neutral. I feel so bad for Nowitzki. He needs some help.

maybe Dirk can go to Toronto and play with Hedo, Bargnani, and Jose Calderon. that would be an awesome team!

guest301

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:

My sentiments exactly. This is just as disappointing for Gortat. He would have been a starter for the Mavs getting 30-35 minutes a night but he will end up getting 15 minutes backing up Howard for the Magic. Maybe the Mavs can work out a trade for him or indeed as you suggest go out and get David Lee.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
There is an article on nba.com about this. Both Gortat and his agent are depressed that the Magic matched the offer. He really wanted to start for Dallas. He knows in Orlando he is stuck on the bench wasting his best years away. At least they will have to pay him starters money or close to sit there. The only bright side.

j41181

Master
18 points, 10 rebounds, 1 block

Imagine if he played like this from season's start, he'd be a runaway 6th Man and Most Improve Player of the year candidate. Had he been given consistent starting minutes, he'd also be a strong All-Star candidate for the center/forward spots.

j41181

Master
Another strong game for the Polish Hammer!

20 points, 15 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 3 blocks

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
21 points and 13 rebounds (against SA) to cap-off the season!
smiley32.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
This thread deserves a bump! Gortat has been a MONSTER lately..

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Gortat dominated (raw) Blake Griffin as Phoenix defeated the Clips last night. Gortat had 18 points and 14 rebounds!

Griffin was 6-19 from the field and grabbed only 7 boards...