Marcel van der Westen 110 MH

white lightning

Hall of Famer
For anyone who wants to see the race, go to trackandfieldnews.com and they have a free video of his win from WCSN.com I don't know how long it will be up there. He is a very powerful built hurdler but at 31 years of age, his chances of a medal in the Olympics are a longshot at best. I hope he proves me wrong. A very nice win none the less.

waterbed

Mentor
i dont know why i said he slowed down on the end.I think i confused it with other race.

He is old but his times are still becoming better.
smiley32.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
thats a good time for that kind of head wind. great for his age, and he looks clean.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Just my perception of track and field events: I feel the 110 hurdles are an event that we should see a lot more whites in. Of course we still need whites competing in the 100 and 200 meters if that is where their talent puts them. However, I think some of the 200 meter white guys should pick the 110 hurdles as their second event. Or 400 meter white guys picking 400 meter hurdles as their second event.

The Chinese have realized that the West Africans have a "small" advantage at 100 and 200 meters and the long jump, b/c of "slightly" longer legs for their body ratio on average and slighly longer calves on average. White and Chinese men seem to have slightly shorter legs for their body ratio and slightly shorter calves, but stronger quads on average IMO.

The fast twitch muscle advantage people of west African ancestry supposedly have is BS IMO, no scientific study has proven it. It appears that for sprinting and the long jump whites tend to power their speed too much with their quads. The blacks tend to run more springy. However, it appears in the high jump and hurdles having to redirect your momentum vertically when sprinting forward that quad strength is very important.

The Chinese have put forth a few elite 110 hurdles guys for this Olympics. And Liu Xiang has the WR in the 110 hurdles. Chinese men's legs more resemble white men than west African blacks although overall relatively there still isn't much difference between races at all. The only reason IMO the Chinese have struggled more to put forth as many top athletes as whites in many sports is because of their smaller height "on average".

The events where I think whites could eventually break records at are the high jump, 110 hurdles, 400 meter hurdles and the 400 meter, 800 meter and 1500 meter distances. Any sprint below 400 meters, I honestly believe that we have virtually no shot at the record and any distance above 1500 meters seems to be the East African territory, although we probably have more of a shot at the long distances than at the short sprint records. Just my perspective and I'm hoping that we see at least on white in the 110 hurdles finals in Beijing.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins