Last ABC Monday Night Football Game

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What about this game? The Jets and the Patriots. Mike Vrabel already has 2 TD's in the game as a TE for the Patriots! He has 6 catches in his career, all for TD's! This is really something to see. I hope this continues.
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Vrabel is leading the team in tackles as well. If he isn't player of the game, something is terribly wrong. This is one of the best individual performances by a white player this year. Mike Vrabel is versatility personified!Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Usually a black head coach is the focal point of a nationally televised game. But not this one. There were the obligatory shots of Herm Edwards on the sideline, but very little mention of him -- and nodiscussionabout the unbelievably fast decline and fall of the Jets, a team that very nearly advanced to the AFC championship game last season and was widely predicted to get at least as far again this year but is now 3-12.As with black quarterbacks, black head coaches are generally immune from the media scrutiny and criticism their white counterparts get.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I failed to notice that part of the coverage tonight. I'm still learning how to spot the black favoritism/lack of criticism in so much media coverage, but thanks to this site, I'm recognizing a lot more than I used to.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite MNF announcer was always Don Meredith. He was brilliant as Howard Cosell's foil. Heplayed the part of the slow-talking cowboy who wasactually smartas a tack and who loved to prickCosell's overbearing Jewish personna, though it wasmost likelynot consciously racial on Meredith's part.

Meredith was also the fun-loving quarterbackthinly disguisedin Peter Gent's famous 1973 book "North Dallas 40," which was made into a movie in 1979. Nick Nolte played Gent, a rebellious wide receiver; singer Mac Davis played the Meredith character.The book isa funny read in parts, if you don't mind a very in-your-face 1960s counterculture point of view.

Meredith was very popular but dropped completely out of sight, almost Howard Hughes-like,after leaving MNF and hasn't resurfaced since. His very brief filmed cameo before tonight's game may have been the only time he's been seen in all the years since he left the program. Sports Illustrated did an article about him a few years back and he lives on a ranch (in Texas if I remember correctly) and he wouldn't allow SI to interview or photograph him.

I can remember when Meredith was the Cowboy QB. He had played at SMU and was with the Dallas Cowboys from their first year in 1960. Meredith was a good example of the problems a player has when he is a "home town boy." The Dallas fans came to blame Meredith personally for team failures, both the 1960-65 period when the Cowboys couldn't top .500 and the 1966-68 playoff losses.

I recall one of the Dallas writers (in one of the innumerable Cowboy books) saying the Dallas fans had read "too much" about Meredith. It was an early version of what Don has described as white fans taking out their frustrations on white players. Meredith would be playing with torn knee ligaments and be booed heavily. All of this helps account for his attitude about the whole thing.

During1974-76, Meredith worked for NBC doing games with Curt Gowdy. I recall himblasting Raider safety George Atkinson whenAtkinson smashed Patriot TE Russ Francis in the nose as Francis was running downfield far from the play. Meredith said, "If you can't do the job legally, you ought to get off the field." This was during a 1976 AFC Playoff game.

Spooge

Guru
Yes and that was before one was not crucified for stating the
truth. I liked the team of Meredith and Cosell. MNF was
much better when the announcers/commentators were able to speak their
minds, off the cuff during a game. Not censore everything they
say and speak with pre-arranged scrips about players as they do today
(maybe too many liberal J... running the show-check the credits after
last nights game it read like a Aushwitz memorial.) I believe it
all started going down hill in the early 1980's when Cosell
refered to a Washington Redskins black receiver as a " Little
monkey" Cosell was emasculated for that one. Think that was
right around the same time that Jimmy the Greek had one too many and
spoke the truth about slaves being "Bread" for superior genetics (thigh
muscles, size, etc.) Yeah he got yanked too. I say good
riddence to Monday Night Political Football.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Greetings Gents ! Ah, the Early Days of Monday Night Football !!
MNF in the 1970 and early 80's was a hoot, and well worth its worship by the white male football fan. Dandy Don and Howard, with Steady Frank Gifford doing play-by-play. "Look at that little monkey go!", yes I remember it. [Hey Sports Historian and Renaissance Man -- EXCELLENT posts regarding Don Meredith!]
The early MNF telecasts were much better, also, because the quality of the FOOTBALL was much better. The Caste system hadn't kicked in yet, and the wretched rule changes to guarantee boringness hadn't either [Rule Changes posted also in "NFL" section]. Giving away my high school preferences, I used to look forward many months the annual Dallas vs Washington monday night games of the 1970s and 1980s. They were true wars.
I also recall and liked the tan blazers with ABC logos that the threesome used to wear. In true tribute, the early days of ESPN noted the class of the practice, and they dressed up their early sportscasters to imitate the three gents on Monday Night Football