Klitschko eyes Valuev

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
For some retarded reason Wlad is considering a fight with Valuev instead of taking a big payday by kicking the ass of another black American fighter (Briggs) WTF? maybe Wlad is tired of beating up black guys, if that's possible (yuk yuk) but a Valuev fight is a no-win for him from a respect standpoint.

Klitschko eyes victory over Valuev to unify throne

AFP
November 13, 2006
NEW YORK (AFP) - Wladimir Klitschko has his eyes on unifying the heavyweight boxing throne and his next target is one he can hardly miss - undefeated Russian giant Nikolay Valuev.

Ukraine's Klitschko stopped unbeaten US fighter Calvin Brock in the seventh round here Saturday to keep the International Boxing Federation title and said his main goal was to become an undisputed heavyweight ring king.

"Only the guy who will unify the heavyweight title will get public respect," Klitschko said.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I don't consider myself a real champion. I'm interested in unifying the titles and I think the heavyweight division needs a real champion.

"I want to see one champion."

Klitschko, 47-3 with 42 knockouts, wants to fight World Boxing Council champion Valuev or Kazak-born Oleg Maskaev, the World Boxing Association champion.

He declared Valuev, 33, the more attractive target because the massive Russian, at 2.13m, is the hugest champion in heavyweight history and a typical weight edge on rivals of 40 to 50 kg.

"Valuev is really something special because of his size," Klitschko said. "This guy is the biggest, the tallest heavyweight champion in history. I wish to fight him. If it's possible, I'd love to take him next."

Valuev is 45-0 with 33 knockouts and could rival the late Rocky Marciano's 49-0 undefeated career mark. Marciano, killed in a 1969 plane crash, was the only heavyweight champion in history to retire undefeated.

Klitschko, 30, joked he might need a sparring partner from the National Basketball Association to challenge the Shaquille O'Neal-sized Valuev. Alas, the 2.26m Chinese star center Yao Ming is unlikely to switch sports any time soon.

A hopeful trying to talk his way into Klitschko's path is American Shannon Briggs, who won the lesser-regarded World Boxing Organization crown earlier this month and challenged Klitschko after his victory.

"I only want a unification fight," Briggs said. "I'll fight anybody who has a title belt."

white is right

Hall of Famer
If King or Saureland think Valuev will lose they won't sign for this fight. If Valuev has a beard like a Cobb or a McCall he could ko Wlad late, otherwise it will be paint by numbers for Wlad with his wicked combos.....

Bart

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
For some retarded reason Wlad is considering a fight with Valuev instead of taking a big payday by kicking the ass of another black American fighter (Briggs) WTF? maybe Wlad is tired of beating up black guys, if that's possible (yuk yuk) but a Valuev fight is a no-win for him from a respect standpoint.

I totally agree. The public doesn't care if Vlad beats another white fighter, even if that fighter has beaten blacks to earn his crown. The image of Vlad sending Brock and other blacks to the canvass is what garners respect.

Look at Jeff Calzaghe (sp)? He was a fantastic fighter and champion for many years,butmostpeopledidn't care. He destroyed black fighter Jeff Lacy and now all of a suddenthe buzz ishe is a great boxer.

What if Vlad should lose to Valuev? What would be the spin?Will the giant Russian be thought of as great for beating Vlad? Or will the press say Vlad is a bum for losing to a big lug? It's unfair but that is how things are.

Hockaday

Guru
Vlad has nothing to gain but a gaudy strap of (probably fake) leather. But at this point, because of his freak appeal, Valuev holds more interest with the general public (shows you what a bunch of dumb cattle they are). At least Vlad would get some well deserved pub out of the fight.

I think Vlad sees Valuev as very beatable, and he wants to be the guy before someone else beats him to it.

Edited by: Hockaday

Bunnyman

Guru
I think Valuev has a very good chance against Wlad. Nicolai takes a great shot, doesn't get tired and will have a major height and size advantage. However, it is more likely Valuev will fight Briggs and Wlad will fight Oleg. This will set up a Wlad-Valuev fight later in 2007 for a unified championship!

One caveat is that Maskaev could lose to Ugandan Peter Okhello next month. I'd only make Oleg a slight favorite in that one. In any event, Briggs and Maskaev will not hold their belts for long.

Maskaev-Klitschko talks!
By Matt Richardson
Representatives of WBC heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev and IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko are in serious negotiations for a title unification showdown in April. Maskaev has a defense scheduled for December 10 plus a mandatory against the winner of the Sam Peter-James Toney rematch, but would likely ask for an exception and try to unify with Klitschko. The fight could take place in the United States or Russia, wherever the money is.
Wednesday, November 15 2006

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bunnyman said:
I think Valuev has a very good chance against Wlad. Nicolai takes a great shot, doesn't get tired and will have a major height and size advantage. However, it is more likely Valuev will fight Briggs and Wlad will fight Oleg. This will set up a Wlad-Valuev fight later in 2007 for a unified championship!

One caveat is that Maskaev could lose to Ugandan Peter Okhello next month. I'd only make Oleg a slight favorite in that one. In any event, Briggs and Maskaev will not hold their belts for long.

Maskaev-Klitschko talks!
By Matt Richardson
Representatives of WBC heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev and IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko are in serious negotiations for a title unification showdown in April. Maskaev has a defense scheduled for December 10 plus a mandatory against the winner of the Sam Peter-James Toney rematch, but would likely ask for an exception and try to unify with Klitschko. The fight could take place in the United States or Russia, wherever the money is.
Wednesday, November 15 2006
If Maskaev loses to Okhello then all hell will break loose in the heavyweight division. Right now Maskaev is in similar to position to what Baldomir was when he beat Judah in January (he has a title and seems beatable). Really it seems like every promoter wants him to fight their fighter. Murad Muhammad put in an offer to fight "Oldyfield", Klitschko has come a calling and Hopkins. Either way Oleg will get paid handsomely if he wins in December.....
smiley32.gif

Bunnyman

Guru
Oleg's comeback is a great story but anyone who has seen his fights with Kirk Johnson, Corey Sanders and Mount Whitaker knows he can go at any moment. Okhello is a big guy at 6'4, 255.

I think Maskaev should pull it out based on talent and experience. But you never know with him.

freedom1

Mentor
Just saw this on Eastside:

Ray Austin Ready For Wladimir Klitschko

20.11.06 - CLEVELANDâ€â€￾International Boxing Federation mandatory heavyweight challenger Ray "The Rainman" Austin watched with great anticipation as IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko scored a seventh-round knockout at Madison Square Garden last Saturday in an optional defense over Calvin Brock. According to the IBF rules, Klitschko must now face his mandatory challenger, Austin..

In contrast to Brock, who at 6 feet 2 inches tall and 225 pounds did not match up well against Klitschko, Austin stands at 6 feet 6 inches and weighed 245 pounds before his last bout. This means Austin will see eye to eye with Klitschko and will probably weigh more than the Ukrainian when they step into the ring.

"Klitschko has a soft heart and a weak chin and I'm going to knock him out," Austin said. "I'm not one of these inexperienced, undersized heavyweight contenders."

In his last appearance, the higher-ranked Austin (23-3-4, 16 KOs) battled up-and-coming heavyweight contender Sultan Ibragimov to a draw in an IBF heavyweight title elimination bout to determine their mandatory challenger on July 28 at Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, Fla. Austin challenged the decision because the referee missed the knockdown he scored in round seven. The IBF agreed with Austin and ruled in his favor on Oct. 26.

IBF President Marian Muhammad wrote in her ruling, "The IBF agrees that had the knockdown been called by the referee in round 7, Austin would have been declared the official winner of the bout and been elevated to the mandatory position."

Even before the ruling was announced, Ibragimov defected to the World Boxing Organization where they named him mandatory challenger in the heavyweight division, depriving Austin of a re-match but guaranteeing him his spot as mandatory challenger in the IBF's heavyweight division.

Austin's promoter Don King was clear in his position.

"Ibragimov lost the fight and ended up being the WBO mandatory challenger," King said.

Austin points to Klitschko's inability to cope with men his own size or those possessing superior punching power.

"I'm not Calvin Brock," Austin said. "I'm not a 213-pound Chris Byrd, either. I'm a full-grown heavyweight. The last time Klitschko faced a man his weight was against Samuel Peter, who knocked him down three times while giving away five inches in height. Same thing when Lamon Brewster knocked him out. I guarantee some rain is going to fall on Klitschko when we fight."

Bunnyman

Guru
Austin is one of the most underated heavyweights around. But he fights conservatively and he seemed to fight scared against Ibragimov. If Ibragimov, who is 6'2, 225, rocked him several times, what would Wlad (6'6, 245) do to him?

JD074

Master
Austin stands at 6 feet 6 inches and weighed 245 pounds before his last bout. This means Austin will see eye to eye with Klitschko and will probably weigh more than the Ukrainian when they step into the ring.

Yeah... and?

"Klitschko has a soft heart and a weak chin and I'm going to knock him out," Austin said. "I'm not one of these inexperienced, undersized heavyweight contenders."

Inexperienced, like Byrd? Undersized, like Peter?

In his last appearance, the higher-ranked Austin (23-3-4, 16 KOs) battled up-and-coming heavyweight contender Sultan Ibragimov to a draw

Ibragimov is no Klitschko.

Austin points to Klitschko's inability to cope with men his own size or those possessing superior punching power.

Superior punching power to Klitschko? That's hard to believe.

The last time Klitschko faced a man his weight was against Samuel Peter, who knocked him down three times while giving away five inches in height.

We know the story about those three knockdowns: two were due to punches to the back of the head, and one was due to fatigue. Giving away five inches in height? Please! Peter is 6'3".

Same thing when Lamon Brewster knocked him out.

That was a long time ago. Klitschko is a better fighter now.

This guy is talking a lot of trash. I want to see this fight now!

JD074

Master
Here's another opinion on Austin:

What's next for big Wlad? I am guessing that we will see him in the ring with Ray Austin. Austin is a guy that has earned his #1 ranking with a few draws and a win over Owen Beck. Yes, I'm serious. Draws with Mount Whitaker, Sultan Ibragimov, and Larry Donald have propelled him into title contention. Austin is a gritty and tough fighter, but lacks skill, technique, power, and speed, and would be really easy pickings for a guy like Wlad.

http://ringsidereport.com/rsr/news.php?readmore=592

And unfortuntately plenty of criticism against Wlad, as well.
smiley11.gif

PitBull

Guru
JD074,

Yep. Big payday for a title shot, even if you do have to taste the canvas for a
while. But I think Klitschko is eager to fight another belt holder. And all the
talk in the world won't get Austin a title shot with no belt to his name.

Hockaday

Guru
Wait a minute. Who is this Marian Muhummad broad? She arbitrarily rules that Austin should be the challenger based on television replay hindsight? Is that in the the IBF rulebook? Do they have one? Can they read? Do they bother?

Yeah, the IBF. A previous head, Bob Lee, ended up in prison for his shenanigans as el presidente of that fine organization.

Actually, though, Vlad fighting Austin is fine with me. It would be a condensed version of Klitch-McCline.

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, I'm happy to hear Wlad will be destroying Austin instead of one of his Russian brothers.

Rain Man's record would indicate his mouth might be writing a check his butt can not cover. He has never ko'd or TKo'd any opponent over 6'0" tall. he has won only one fight with an opponent 6'3" or taller. Sounds like he has a problem with tall fighters.