Kessler & Andrade: Great Sportsmanship

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Tonight's fight on HBO in Denmark featuring Mikkel Kessler and Mexican Limbrado Andrade showed that boxers can have a furiously fierce and intense fight but maintain respect and admiration for each other.

From their weigh-in to their post-fight interviews both fighters behaved well by never insulting or making contemptuous remarks about the other. They fought a clean fight: no head butting, no elbows, no thumbs, no throws or tripping, no gouging with the inside of gloves, no low blows, and no taunting or spitting. Just clean shots from both fighters and the best man, Kessler, won.

At the beginning of the final round, the 12th round, Andrade and Kessler hugged each other, and then Kessler went back to work pounding on Andrade, trying to knock him out. Andrade has a chin like Marciano, and Kessler didn't loose any stock by not knocking him out. The post-fight comments were really impressive by both men. Andrade said he is a "time collector" and he was "happy to be around all of these people", adding that Kessler is "a great boxer but I could not pass up on this opportunity" -meaning he thought he would get beat but he was game anyway. And boy was he game. Kellerman, one of the HBO colour commentators, and on his best behaviour this night as well, compared Andrade to Randy "Tex" Cobb, and I would say that is a fair comparison.

Kessler, during his post fight interview with HBO, said something like "my God, that guy was so tough," sounding like The Terminator when he spoke. He looks like The Terminator as well. When asked by Kellerman who he would like to fight next he said, in such a complimentary way, "Oh, Calzaghe," and added: "Calzaghe come and fight me...if you dare!" When Kessler speaks about himself he is proud, confident, and fair. He proves that you don't have to be an ******* like a Floyd Mayweather or a Roy Jones Jr. when you are a star.

The difference between athletes like Klitschko or Kessler, and Mayweather or Jones Jr. is that the first two are famous and the second two are infamous. Most fan interest around Klitschko and Kessler is to see them win, fan interest around Mayweather and Jones Jr. is to see them lose.

On this fine night of exciting action and sportsmanship, even the HBO crew must be given a tip of the hat. Kellerman was fair and observant, Letterman scored correctly and showed no bias in any way, and Many Stewart, well if he isn't the most likeable black American in boxing I don't know who is and he had nothing but praise for Kessler all night.

Lastly, with regards to the fight itself, I though Kessler was going to have some trouble with Andrade's reach and size and the fact that Kessler would be forced to fight up rather than down as he has been used to for many fights. He fought hands up with straight shots and stepped inside and out so well that the reach and size of Andrade was negated. Actually Andrade does not use his reach very well anyway and Kessler's handlers probably knew that through video research. I think Tarver, Hopkins, and Wright would all get a blasting if they fought this machine. Somehow I doubt Kessler will ever get the change to fight those guys.
Edited by: Maple Leaf

JD074

Master
Maple Leaf said:
Andrade has a chin like Marciano, and Kessler didn't loose any stock by not knocking him out.

Absolutely. Calzaghe didn't knock out Lacy, and everyone was impressed by that. Of course, Lacy was considered the "top dog" at the time, and Andrade was far from that status before the fight. But any intelligent boxing fan should be satisfied with Kessler's performance last night.

Maple Leaf said:
On this fine night of exciting action and sportsmanship, even the HBO crew must be given a tip of the hat. Kessler was fair and observant, Letterman scored correctly and showed no bias in any way, and Many Stewart, well if he isn't the most likeable black American in boxing I don't know who is and he had nothing but praise for Kessler all night.

I have to disagree about Steward. Usually he is pretty likeable, but he nitpicked way too much, IMO. He kept saying over and over again that Kessler looked worried, that his corner should still be worried, he just constantly second-guessed Kessler and was overall pretty negative. And so repetitive! Geez! Give it a rest. Perhaps he was embarrassed because he said before the fight that he changed his mind about Andrade and thought he was really good, and would give Kessler a good fight. He is considered one of the "great minds" in boxing, so when he realized it was going to be a lop-sided fight, perhaps he had to defend his ego a little bit. I would've preferred Lennox Lewis for this fight, he would've been much more positive.

Kellerman was actually pretty good, surprisingly enough, and the other commentator was fine. Edited by: JD074

white is right

Hall of Famer
Every time I see Kessler he impresses me more and more. He looked so sharp last night it was scary to look at. I think he beats Calzaghe, especially if they sleep on this fight for a while. I wish Kessler was US based as he would be a worldwide superstar already. As for Andrade he must be distant kin with George Chuvalo...
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white is right

JD074

Master
Actually, I do have one complaint about Kellerman. He said that Kessler's power punches looked less impressive during the slow motion replays. You gotta be kidding me! Seeing Kessler whip Andrade's head around in slow-mo was more than enough to impress me.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
JD074: do recognize that we cannot ask for perfection and HBO is broadcasting primarily to a North American audience. The fight, to all watching, was a beating for Andrade but the commentators are told to try and find a silver lining in everything even during a lop-sided loss as this was.

JD074

Master
Maple Leaf said:
JD074: do recognize that we cannot ask for perfection and HBO is broadcasting primarily to a North American audience.

Duh. Don't talk down to me. I would never expect "perfection" from the media. Aside from being too negative and nitpicking too much, he was simply way too repetitive, saying the same things over and over and over again. Steward did not do a good job, period.

And what does "broadcasting primarily to a North American audience" have to do with anything? It's not like Andrade is a popular US champion. Hardly anybody in the States (and certainly almost nobody in Canada) knows who he is.

The fight, to all watching, was a beating for Andrade but the commentators are told to try and find a silver lining in everything even during a lop-sided loss as this was.

And he should've been able to do that without nitpicking and being repetitive to the point of being obnoxious.

From the instructions Kessler's corner gave him it did sound as if they were worried about Andrande getting a lucky shot a La Shannon Briggs style. I do not think anyone watching this fight ever had any doubt as to which fighter possesed greater skill as a boxer. I even believe Teddy Atals would have realized that Kessler dominated this fight from start to finish.

dkr77

Guru
Kessler looked very impressive! I kept thinking Adrande would be put on the canvas at any moment but it never happened. Kessler vs Calzaghe will be an absolute war!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
JD074:
Do not read too much into my reply to you. We all have different ways of expressing ourselves and I was certainly not trying to insult you. You are entitled to your opinions as well as I.

Hockaday

Guru
Kellerman is growing into his job. His first couple broadcasts with HBO he looked nervous and in over his head. He's settled down now and doing much better. Plus, he's pretty funny sometimes.

I do question his suggestion that the fight could be stopped after about the sixth round on. Andrade may have been outclassed, but he was always in the fight and firing back.

Let's have Kessler-Calzaghe, with a Maple Leaf-JD074 four rounder on the undercard.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Hockaday Wrote: "Let's have Kessler-Calzaghe, with a Maple Leaf-JD074 four rounder on the undercard."
smiley19.gif

Edited by: Maple Leaf

JD074

Master
Maple Leaf said:
JD074:
Do not read too much into my reply to you. We all have different ways of expressing ourselves and I was certainly not trying to insult you. You are entitled to your opinions as well as I.

Sorry if I overreacted.
smiley4.gif