Kael Becerra

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Another new name to watch for...
Kael Becerra is from Chile and just beat a top 60m field in Belgium with a time of 6.62.
He beat Dariusz Kuc, Matic Osovnikar, Lukasz Chyla, and three top African sprinters.
I've never heard of this guy...does anyone know anything about him?

albinosprint

Mentor
his 6.62 set a national record. last year he had a best of 10.31 in the 100m, but only ran in local meets in south america. i think he is only 22 or 23 years old, but i'm not sure. his 6.62 looks like the only internationl race he has run in the past year. with the right peple pushing him he could shave some more time off that 100m. this kid could be a sleeper.

albinosprint

Mentor
I did some research. he is 21 and has a PB of 10.22 in the 100m. here's a pic

albinosprint

Mentor
2007-02-04_153457_e08_junio_16_Becerra.jpg

albinosprint

Mentor
looks like he could lower that time with a little weight training.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another good find guys.I was dissapointed to see Matic,Lukasz,and Dariusz not run that fast of a time.It's early however and they will get it together.Craig Pickering has been the suprise of the season thus far.Kael looks like he is built alot like Morne Nagel.I will keep an eye on him.Nic Macrozonaris is off to a good start too.It should be a great indoor and outdoor season!

white is right

Hall of Famer
albinosprint said:
looks like he could lower that time with a little weight training.
True he looks natural unlike some of the anabolic specimens that the US trot out to international meets. Sometimes I wonder how clean athletes can take dirty juice bags....
smiley11.gif

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Becerra after his win...

"This is only the second indoor season of my career," said Becerra. "I dedicate this victory to my country, where athletics is not the most popular of sports. Probably I am the only athlete from Chile to appear at the international level. This victory is a surprise to me as well. I ran 6.68 the other day and that was already a new national record. Now I cut six more hundreds off that time."

"My next target must be the South American record (6.60 - Vicente De Lima, Brasil). As an athlete you must be confident and believe in yourself. And train very hard. It is not because I come from Chile and that my skin is white, that I can not become a world class sprinter."

The guy believes in himself...you gotta like that.

white is right

Hall of Famer
jacknyc said:
Becerra after his win...

"This is only the second indoor season of my career," said Becerra. "I dedicate this victory to my country, where athletics is not the most popular of sports. Probably I am the only athlete from Chile to appear at the international level. This victory is a surprise to me as well. I ran 6.68 the other day and that was already a new national record. Now I cut six more hundreds off that time."

"My next target must be the South American record (6.60 - Vicente De Lima, Brasil). As an athlete you must be confident and believe in yourself. And train very hard. It is not because I come from Chile and that my skin is white, that I can not become a world class sprinter."

The guy believes in himself...you gotta like that.
Sebastian Kietal came from his country and was whiter(Kietal was ethnic German), so his country can produce the occasional track star..
smiley32.gif

freedom1

Mentor
I wonder what kind of training he does down there. What kind of support and coaching does he get?

albinosprint

Mentor
he goes to the university of chile. being that its chile, i would say thats all he is getting.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Another win for Becerra. He ran a 6.61, (another National record for him), today in Spain and beat some big names.
Kuc and Osovnikar both ran poorly and didn't qualify for the finals.