John Bryant - Santa Clara

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Bryant started 30 of 31 games last season as a junior, leading Santa Clara with averages of 18.0 points (second in the WCC), 9.6 rebounds (led WCC) and 2.3 blocks (led WCC).

Bryant should fully recover from being stabbed in the back last week.

"Yes, John Bryant was a victim of assault," Santa Clara Police Sgt. Kurt Clarke said in a phone interview. "We don't know specifically what transpired. It's still under investigation. We are interviewing victims and witnesses."

Bryant, who led the West Coast Conference in rebounds and blocked shots last season and was second in scoring, was moving around on his own Monday and expected to be playing again soon, the school said. Bryant, who will be evaluated in the coming days, will begin his senior season for the Broncos when practice starts next month.

Bryant was briefly hospitalized and Santa Clara coach Kerry Keating and members of his staff visited Bryant within 30 minutes of his admission, the school said.

"He's up walking around and doing fine and is expected to be back on the basketball court soon," spokeswoman Michelle Schmitt said Monday.

since a description of the perp has not been given, i think it is safe to guess that it was not a white man who stabbed him.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I saw that guy play Gonzaga a couple of times last year. That is one big white dude. I hope he recovers soon and has a fine senior season.