Johansson Then, Klitschko Now

Yesterday, I sent Don an email about a Sport Magazine article about then Heavyweight Champion Ingemar Johansson. It was the July 1960 issue rather than June. Today, I went and dug the magazine out, and read the article again.

In the article, Roger Kahn writes among other things, "Every inch a champion, Ingo is the most glamorous figure to excite the sports world in years." Midway in the article, Kahn remarks on how dull boxing had been in the last ten years. About Marciano, Kahn wrote, "Then came Rocky Marciano, the first white champion since Jimmy Braddock, a point I mention because the mere fact of Marciano's color stirred excitement."

Kahn continued, "Rocky might have become a great national hero if he allowed himself a chance. But the monastic streak in him was too strong. The poor boy from Brockton seemed most comfortable when his training headquarters were a few shacks. Everybody liked Rocky, but he was exciting only in the ring. He moved in like a bulldozer and he never lost a fight. But, briefly and bluntly, the deservedly popular Rock lacked glamour."

Ingo (as he was called) did have glamour. After winning the title, he got parts in TV shows and even a movie role. Unfortunately, Patterson KO'd him right after this magazine came out.

I was a few weeks short of my 9th birthday when Johansson won the title. I was listening to (of all things) a little league baseball game on the radio. The news was was announced to the crowd, which cheered loudly. I've always had a good memory for specific events.

Johansson was in the news constantly the year he was champion. You were very much aware of him. It must be said that in 1959, the Heavyweight Champion was automaticaly a very famous man, more so than now. The multiple titles are partly to blame.

Still, the lack of attention for Wladimir Klitschko is strange. Or is it? You would think he would be of interest because he is diferrent than you would expect a boxing champion to be. Jack Dempsey would have been astonished at a heavyweight champion with a P.H.D.

Ironically, both Ingo and Floyd Patterson contracted Alzheimer's Disease. Patterson died in May and Johansson is said to be in a retirement home. Source, the wikipedia article on Ingemar Johansson.

Dick_Steele

It's probably all true,but just so you know, whatever you do, take whatever you read on Wikipedia with a grain of salt. It's attrociously unreliable and at times borders on a downright disinfo serviceEdited by: Dick_Steele